Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Switched from perf 21's to Tesla's 19" winter package

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    Jerry33, I looked into those Nokian WRG2s after you recommended them earlier...they do look sweet, but aren't (currently) offered in 245/45R19
    That is unfortunately correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    Cool! It's been a while since I've used all-seasons ... have they gotten better recently (6 years) or have I just never used good ones?
    Most all-seasons are not severe-service all-seasons. They are "Texas all-seasons". Severe service all-seasons have a severe-service emblem on them. (Looks like mountains with a snow flake as shown by the graphic) Six years ago the only severe-service all-seasons available were Yokohama Y370 and Nokian WR--and Yokohama only sold them in Canada because all the Texans complained
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Email sent to NorthAmerica-at-nokiantyres-dot-com; I'll report back any response I receive.
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

I agree with jerry33 that the Nokian WRG2 are the best all season tire available. They are actually winter tires that can be used in the summer. They wear faster and are thus more expensive to own, but you will avoid accidents.

I received a phone call back from Nokian today, from a very knowledgeable guy in Vermont. He said they don't currently make that size, and there needs to be a certain threshold in demand before they will make another mold. But he did think the relationship between Tesla and Nokian held some promise toward ultimately making that size, but he certainly had not heard any announcements that they would be making that size.

He also indicated that the Hakkapeliita R, the non-studded winter tire, is one of the lowest rolling resistance tires they make. He said several owners have noticed better MPG than summer tires, etc. And the WR G2's are also a very low rolling resistance tire...both of these are of course perfectly suited for pairing with Model S, but right now only the Hakka R's are available in 245/45R19.

I wish they would get with Tesla and offer the WR G2 as the stock tire in 245/45R19.
    Last edited by JakeP; 2012-11-30 at 01:25 PM.
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I received a phone call back from Nokian today, from a very knowledgeable guy in Vermont. He said they don't currently make that size, and there needs to be a certain threshold in demand before they will make another mold. But he did think the relationship between Tesla and Nokian held some promise toward ultimately making that size, but he certainly had not heard any announcements that they would be making that size.

He also indicated that the Hakkapeliita R, the non-studded winter tire, is one of the lowest rolling resistance tires they make. He said several owners have noticed better MPG than summer tires, etc. And the WR G2's are also a very low rolling resistance tire...both of these are of course perfectly suited for pairing with Model S, but right now only the Hakka R's are available in 245/45R19.

I wish they would get with Tesla and offer the WR G2 as the stock tire in 245/45R19.
    Thanks for doing that. I'll call as well. Do you mean the Hakkapeliitta 7's are the only tire that works in 19" size? The Nokian Rs don't seem to come in the correct size yet.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Sorry yes, I think I conflated the two. The R's have the lowest rolling resistance, and the 7's are the ones that are available as a studded option from the Tesla Shop.

Sorry yes, I think I conflated the two. The R's have the lowest rolling resistance, and the 7's are the ones that are available as a studded option from the Tesla Shop.
    No problem. Glad people are contacting them. I can use the 21" wheels all year but would like better options if I move to a cold climate someday.

If anyone else is interested, can contact them here
    Nokian Tires-Contact Us
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Thanks for doing that. I'll call as well. Do you mean the Hakkapeliitta 7's are the only tire that works in 19" size? The Nokian Rs don't seem to come in the correct size yet.
    The Hakkapelitta R come in 245/45R19 and one place to purchase them is here. I've purchased from this site and Ryan has been good to deal with.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    The Hakkapelitta R come in 245/45R19 and one place to purchase them is here. I've purchased from this site and Ryan has been good to deal with.
    Great. I was looking on Nokian's site and they don't list it for some reason.

http://www.nokiantires.com/files/nokiantires/PDF/R.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Most all-seasons are not severe-service all-seasons. They are "Texas all-seasons". Severe service all-seasons have a severe-service emblem on them. (Looks like mountains with a snow flake as shown by the graphic) Six years ago the only severe-service all-seasons available were Yokohama Y370 and Nokian WR--and Yokohama only sold them in Canada because all the Texans complained
    Being a tire ignorant Texan, my only concern is wrecking my car the one or two days a year that we get some sleet. Do you think the all season 19's that come standard are that much better than the 21"? There's no way I'm buying winter tires for those 1-2 days, but can I drive carefully in the standard tires?
    I appreciate your thoughts...
    Last edited by dsm363; 2012-11-30 at 07:50 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Thread Information