Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Switched from perf 21's to Tesla's 19" winter package

I changed out my 19s for 21s yesterday. I was supposed to have 21s but ended up with 19s upon delivery. I did notice a slight noise difference but nothing bad. Butt-o-meter didn't notice anymore harshness.

Cinergi--please update with any thoughts re. your decision to go with 21" perf + 19" winter package. Is your driving experience with both a reaffirmation of the decision or, alternatively, any regrets? Same city--same weather, and I'm very close to finalizing with the same wheel decision.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bosgig View Post
    Cinergi--please update with any thoughts re. your decision to go with 21" perf + 19" winter package. Is your driving experience with both a reaffirmation of the decision or, alternatively, any regrets? Same city--same weather, and I'm very close to finalizing with the same wheel decision.
    Hmm. I can't comment on the standard 19 tires obviously ... But I can tell you I miss the fact that I can't put down 100% power to the ground anymore. Are you getting perf? If not, that won't be an issue. I like the ride quality. I haven't done any tight turns yet (again that wouldn't be representative of standard 19" tires). I'm probably at the point where I have enough mileage on them to do some tests. Maybe I'll go for a ride tonight Been meaning to collect some 19" range data as well ...
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

90% decided on the performance. If I were to do the standard, I wouldn't do the 21" upgrade, but rather stick with the 19's. I know others have passed on the 21's with the performance model even though there's no credit for doing so, mostly just to avoid the incremental cost of the extra set of wheels/winter tires and the hassle of storage and swapping in and out. That's really why I ask, although I'm definitely leaning towards the 21's + 19's for winter. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Blog Entries
    Just got back from a 100 mile jaunt
    For general driving, you don't pay much of a penalty ride-quality-wise for 21's vs 19's. You pay a little bit in range (I couldn't tell from this evening's ride -- too many hills in the area and the winters probably aren't as low rolling resistance as the standard 19's). But the 21's get you a lot more traction (both accel/decel) over the 19" winters. Sharp corners are much softer and less of a "car on rails" experience (almost feels sloppy).
    Either way, 19" all-season with RWD will be a little rough in the winter (not impossible, but I think you could definitely end up stuck or not stop as well as you could on winters). You'll want winter tires anyway. Tires are the only thing between the car and the road -- I'm a firm believer in the value of even the cheapest winter tires over the best all-season's.
    Getting an extra set of rims pays off in a few years and you won't have issues with damaging the tires from swapping them (e.g. belt-shifting) or balance issues, etc ... You're at your own schedule for putting them on if you get a jack and whatnot (no more last-minute-can't-find-anyone-to-mount-your-winter-tires issues) ...
    Hope that helps!
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance

It does. Thanks. I was thinking the same thing on needing winter tires anyway given the rwd, so the hassle factor and incremental cost issues at that point pretty much become moot. Sounds like a good way to go. Thanks again.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the value of even the cheapest winter tires over the best all-season's.
    The best severe-service all-seasons are really about 90% as good as the best winter tires. Cheap tires (winter/summer/all-season) are just cheap tires. What I think is that you've never had a set of good all-season tires (like Nokian WR-g2).
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    The best severe-service all-seasons are really about 90% as good as the best winter tires. Cheap tires (winter/summer/all-season) are just cheap tires. What I think is that you've never had a set of good all-season tires (like Nokian WR-g2).
    Cool! It's been a while since I've used all-seasons ... have they gotten better recently (6 years) or have I just never used good ones?

Jerry33, I looked into those Nokian WRG2s after you recommended them earlier...they do look sweet, but aren't (currently) offered in 245/45R19, unfortunately. Hopefully that will change after the Tesla business on their studded Hakkepeliitas.
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Maybe writing Nokian directly and asking them to produce the correct size might help. It sounds like they would be the perfect one tire only solution for people in areas that get minimal snow.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Thread Information