Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Switched from perf 21's to Tesla's 19" winter package

Blog Entries

Switched from perf 21's to Tesla's 19" winter package

Just got my tires swapped today. The ride is significantly quieter (not like it was loud before) and the bumps are softer (again not like it was a harsh ride). I haven't pushed them yet (too new) or observed wet conditions, etc ... but I'll report on that.. as well as impact on highway range. I'll use this thread to discuss the differences. So far, I'm kinda liking the even quieter and softer aspects. However, I'll probably miss the traction once I begin pushing on them
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

P85 & 40kw
    I'm assuming you're running the 19" and Pirelli's?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shokunin View Post
    I'm assuming you're running the 19" and Pirelli's?
    That's what I ordered and while it's obvious they're 19's, I haven't actually checked the tires ... I should do that
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance

Blog Entries
    Did you order the package from Tesla, or something from Tire Rack or what?
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    Did you order the package from Tesla, or something from Tire Rack or what?
    From Tesla.

Blog Entries
    I drove on the 21's for a week, then switched to the 19's with Pirelli's. The Pirelli's must have had some sort of film on them at first, they were really slippery for the first week even on dry roads (I couldn't spin the tires on my regular model with the 21's). They seem pretty good now; including good though not infinite traction in wet (which we are having a LOT of at the moment).

Of course with that slippery week in the middle, it is hard to compare the two tires directly. Plus I only drive the S sporadically and intermingle it with the Roadster. It does seem like the steering isn't quite as sharp with the Pirelli's. Haven't noticed a lot of other differences though.
    Roadster #690; Model S #112; Model X Reserved Plug In America How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    I drove on the 21's for a week, then switched to the 19's with Pirelli's. The Pirelli's must have had some sort of film on them at first, they were really slippery for the first week even on dry roads (I couldn't spin the tires on my regular model with the 21's). They seem pretty good now; including good though not infinite traction in wet (which we are having a LOT of at the moment).
    New tires still have mold release on them and the bead area can still be wet from the mounting lubricant. Generally it's a good idea to go easy on them for the first 300 miles. The mold release on real performance tires wears off almost immediately, which is why you never noticed on the 21". And don't forget to have the tires rotated around 1500 miles so that every tire will have a turn on the drive axle early in it's life (helps prevent uneven wear later in life).
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

I currently have the hi perf 21's and when I reach 70mph or above there is a noticeable humming noise in the right rear of the car.
    I have brought the car to Tesla and they verified the noise. I suspect it may be the tire on that side of the car but not sure.
    Any experience with noise from these tires?

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I currently have the hi perf 21's and when I reach 70mph or above there is a noticeable humming noise in the right rear of the car.
    I have brought the car to Tesla and they verified the noise. I suspect it may be the tire on that side of the car but not sure.
    Any experience with noise from these tires?
    Noises in cars are very hard to pin down because of both the reflective surfaces (glass) and the path the sound travels. In the worst case you have to put microphones in suspected locations to actually determine the source of the noise. I actually had an instance where the complaint was tire noise but the real source of the noise was the roof rack.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Did you check the tire pressure, cenergi? The 19s are supposed to be filled to 45 pounds as apposed to only 42 for the 21 inch tires. When I properly inflated my tires the ride became very similar to the 21 inch ride. Of course cornering and acceleration suffered.

Thread Information