Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

I got my license plates! They do issue the license plates, window sticker and registration at the time that you pay the taxes.
    It was pretty simple and almost straightforward. They had never heard of Tesla and wanted to know why I "went all the way to California" to get my car.
    Now I'm just waiting for her to arrive home. Any day now.
    "These go to eleven..."

@STxTesla: I would have had a hard time refraining from saying something like "Texas law forced me to do it!" But would have only said that if they had already completed my paperwork to avoid additional scrutiny.

Re: Inspection Issue, inspection and registration always have to be separate processes. If not, it would be impossible to buy a non-working car that you planned to fix up.

She was a nice looking, sweet lady....so I was on my best behavior.
    I told her to Google Tesla Model S sometime...she said that I piqued her curiosity and that she already planned on checking it out.
    "These go to eleven..."

Great news, STxTesla! Did you get her phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by STxTesla View Post
    I got my license plates! They do issue the license plates, window sticker and registration at the time that you pay the taxes.
    It was pretty simple and almost straightforward. They had never heard of Tesla and wanted to know why I "went all the way to California" to get my car.
    Now I'm just waiting for her to arrive home. Any day now.
    OK! I think we now have a pretty complete picture of the process. Your next task will be an actual inspection. Being the first in your area you will be "educating" some unsuspecting inspection station. Good luck!

BTW, would anyone in the Austin area who got or gets an inspection, please post from whom and how it went. Thanks!
    Last edited by TXjak; 2012-11-28 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added Austin area request
    Solar Powered, Black, 60kWh, Twin chargers, Superchargable, Tech Pkg,
    Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Tan leather & Lacewood interior, Xpel ppf.

(Home since 9am, 1/29/2013;
    28,780 miles as of 6/29/14.)

No...didn't get her phone number...lol.

I'm sure that it's going to be an odd inspection for them. I think I will give them a call, ask their hours on the weekend and then tell them about how I plan on bringing my car directly to them just after it is delivered. Maybe a heads up about the car will get them ready ahead of time.
    "These go to eleven..."

Quote Originally Posted by TXjak View Post
    OK! I think we now have a pretty complete picture of the process. Your next task will be an actual inspection. Being the first in your area you will be "educating" some unsuspecting inspection station. Good luck!
    I cannot speak re the Model S, but inspections of the Roadster are painless, and cheap. The biggest issue I have ever had was that I once had to show the inspector how to find the car's mileage. (I did not have it displayed on screen below the speedometer.) They just check the obvious items -- that the lights work, tires have tread, etc. In smog control areas, the fee for a gasoline car is about $40, for an electric car about $15.

Quote Originally Posted by pgwoosley View Post
    I cannot speak re the Model S, but inspections of the Roadster are painless, and cheap. The biggest issue I have ever had was that I once had to show the inspector how to find the car's mileage. (I did not have it displayed on screen below the speedometer.) They just check the obvious items -- that the lights work, tires have tread, etc. In smog control areas, the fee for a gasoline car is about $40, for an electric car about $15.
    In TX it would be a safety inspection for the Tesla (similar to 25+ yr old collected vehicles) and no emissions.

Mileage is not an inspectable item in TX. That is, you cannot fail mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimaze1 View Post
    In TX it would be a safety inspection for the Tesla (similar to 25+ yr old collected vehicles) and no emissions.

Mileage is not an inspectable item in TX. That is, you cannot fail mileage.
    In my experience, they have driven the car a little, so you may have to show/tell them how to "start" it too.
    Solar Powered, Black, 60kWh, Twin chargers, Superchargable, Tech Pkg,
    Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Tan leather & Lacewood interior, Xpel ppf.

(Home since 9am, 1/29/2013;
    28,780 miles as of 6/29/14.)

I got a Fedex envelope today with an Application for Registration, Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment form, and a statement of delivery outside of Texas. STxTesla, did you get these documents first?

Thread Information