Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

Sent you a PM. Will be glad to charge your car...I have a 240V 14-50 NEMA setup in the garage, so I guess that will be around 25-30 miles per hour of charge. Friday may be difficult as I am on call so I don't know when I will be home. BTW...I live out on Padre Island.
    I hope to hear from you...and congrats your your new Tesla!
    "These go to eleven..."

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STxTesla View Post
    then a green sheet from the inspection station
    So the question here is: How do you get the green sheet when you can't drive the car to the inspection station because of no license?
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    So the question here is: How do you get the green sheet when you can't drive the car to the inspection station because of no license?
    I think with a vehicle transit permit: https://vision21.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/V...ForPermit.aspx
    P3,339: 60 kWh, blue/gray/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, tech package, sound package, air suspension
    Delivered: February 8, 2013

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I think with a vehicle transit permit: https://vision21.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/V...ForPermit.aspx
    Great find. Does Tesla know about this already?
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I have no idea. Found it with guidance from sublimaze1 after reading about the problems in Texas.
    Last edited by SteveH; 2012-11-22 at 09:56 PM.
    P3,339: 60 kWh, blue/gray/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, tech package, sound package, air suspension
    Delivered: February 8, 2013

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I have no idea. Found it after reading about the problems in Texas. Nothing to do until Februaryish when the car comes so might as well plan the steps out from when I get the faithful call.
    I sent ownership an e-mail. I tried to write out a 1..2..3 type checklist of steps after your car arrives (for Texas only) since it is so odd here and sent it to Tesla. I asked for follow up since a few things have changed (tax no longer collected by Tesla for one).
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    I sent ownership an e-mail. I tried to write out a 1..2..3 type checklist of steps after your car arrives (for Texas only) since it is so odd here and sent it to Tesla. I asked for follow up since a few things have changed (tax no longer collected by Tesla for one).
    Once you get all the steps, perhaps they can go in it's own thread and make that thread a sticky. It also needs to be in the bulletin board in the TM forum.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.

Note: "If we cannot match the VIN a Transit Permit cannot be printed."

I don't think it will work for a vehicle that hasn't been registered before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    According to this post, you can get your plates before you get it inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by TXjak View Post
    According to this post, you can get your plates before you get it inspected.
    It looks like the post I was referring to has been moved/removed (the one from STxTesla) that said you take the green sheet to the DMV to get your plates).

Just to confirm, Texas allows you to get plates without having the car inspected. Two separate processes. I don't know what would happen if you got stopped on the way to getting it inspected, but as long as you were respectful to the cop, I'm thinking you would just get a warning, especially if you showed them you just got the car that day and told them that you were getting it inspected later that day. Even if you got a ticket, you could just get the car inspected, get your paperwork together, and tell your story to the judge. Texas also has a 5 day grace period which may help you:

Is there a grace period to replace an expired inspection sticker? - DMV Answers

Or pay the fine--how much could it be be?

Thread Information