Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

Apparently Tesla hasn't got all of the kinks out of the Texas delivery process yet. I suggest that anyone who pays off the car with Tesla press them like STxTesla did, if you want to get the car registered before it arrives.
    Solar Powered, Black, 60kWh, Twin chargers, Superchargable, Tech Pkg,
    Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Tan leather & Lacewood interior, Xpel ppf.

(Home since 9am, 1/29/2013;
    33,102 miles as of 9/29/2014.)

I was told (by Matt) that we would be getting temp cardboard plates along with a temp California reg papers. If this is true, then Tesla buys us some time. Is this not happening?

I didn't get cardboard plates....so it's a new item.
    "These go to eleven..."

Quote Originally Posted by STxTesla View Post
    I didn't get cardboard plates....so it's a new item.
    True That. He said he had some feedback that some of us received conversations from government officials with sidearms on the "little thin strip of paper in your rear window don't cut it here, boy" topic.

I contacted Whitney, my Admin rep yesterday and she said I would get a temporary permit of some kind today. Let's hope my Model S is no longer just "eye candy" by sometime this evening!
    Tesla Model S owner since December 4, 2012
    VIN 992
    Signature Red | Performance | White Leather | Carbon Fiber | Panoramic Roof | 21" Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn005 View Post
    I contacted Whitney, my Admin rep yesterday and she said I would get a temporary permit of some kind today. Let's hope my Model S is no longer just "eye candy" by sometime this evening!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimaze1 View Post
    I was told (by Matt) that we would be getting temp cardboard plates along with a temp California reg papers. If this is true, then Tesla buys us some time. Is this not happening?
    Got my reg papers today. No cardboard plate. So I guess what I heard and what was said were not congruent. I have what I need to register the car now, so I may go swing by and get the plates just to be ready. Otherwise, I will just go take $25 cash and get a temp 30 day transit tag so that I can drive. Tax Assessor office stated that was an option. Generally used for those who need to have the car repaired and pass inspection so that you can take it to a service shop ... I will use mine for daily travel. May still just go get the permanent tags.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimaze1 View Post
    Got my reg papers today. No cardboard plate. So I guess what I heard and what was said were not congruent. I have what I need to register the car now, so I may go swing by and get the plates just to be ready. Otherwise, I will just go take $25 cash and get a temp 30 day transit tag so that I can drive. Tax Assessor office stated that was an option. Generally used for those who need to have the car repaired and pass inspection so that you can take it to a service shop ... I will use mine for daily travel. May still just go get the permanent tags.
    Texas texas vehicle transit permit. Unfortunately, this link doesn't work for me. The google preview says: "Vehicle Transit Permit. If you buy a car or truck and the seller keeps the Texas license plates, print a Transit Permit to drive the vehicle home or to your local county tax office"
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Hmm, it seemed to work for me, although I didn't print it. It recognized the vehicle as an "UNKNOWN" type, so they may need to update it for Tesla VIN information.

Name:  Temp_Permit.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  141.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by stephenpace View Post
    Hmm, it seemed to work for me, although I didn't print it. It recognized the vehicle as an "UNKNOWN" type, so they may need to update it for Tesla VIN information.

Name:  Temp_Permit.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  141.6 KB
    STOP!

Do not print it! That will be the only time that Texas will allow that VIN to be used as a transit permit. IT will start from the click and end five days later.

Interestingly, this will not help me. It helps you, because the system recognizes the VIN. Why? Because you have registered it. My VIN has never seen the light of a Texas DMV computer diode and, as such, will return "unrecognized - cannot print tag"

I think I am just going to go over to the tax office with my papers and get the tags. I should have time to do that Thursday before the million hour long evening choir concert at the girls school.

Thread Information