Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
As many of you know, I've been helping Sun Country Highway with the development of their charging network. I just thought I'd let you know about some exciting new developments.

Yesterday, in St. John's, Newfoundland, a Tesla Roadster started on a long journey. It will wind its way across the continent, visiting cities all along the Trans Canada Highway, before ultimately arriving in Victoria, British Columbia. Along the way, all charging will be provided by the new Sun Country Highway electric vehicle charging station network. That's right, it's now possible to drive coast-to-coast entirely under electric power!

In a recent tweet Tesla Motors called it "the World's Longest/Greenest Highway Project!"

Chris Misch is tweeting about his progress at Sun Country Highway (SunCountryHwy). They dodged a bit of a bullet today, managing to squeak by just before a landslide washed out the Trans Canada!

At the end of the journey Sun Country Highway will roll out the full charging network, facilitating long-distance travel by electric vehicles for all Canadians. Tesla owners will be particularly interested to know that the majority of these charge stations are capable of 70A power.

Many things are really cool about this. Here's just a couple of them:

A) They're doing it in the winter time. It will be cold. It will probably snow. There won't be any campgrounds open for charging.

B) The electrification of SCH is an impressive initiative that leaves me wondering why nobody is doing this in the States other than Tesla with their proprietary SuperChargers.

Hello all!

I'm also helping them out for the Quebec part. I live in Trois-Rivieres and I'm happy to tell that there is two 70 Amps chargers there (one in the Eastern part of TR, and the other on the western part).

It's worth saying that most of those charging stations are free for at least 2 years !!

This is really interesting for model S owners (and Roadster owners), since it is available now !!

Congrats to Kent and his team for being such a visionary !! Hope they will be «contagious!!

Yesterday, in St. John's, Newfoundland, a Tesla Roadster started on a long journey. It will wind its way across the continent, visiting cities all along the Trans Canada Highway, before ultimately arriving in Victoria, British Columbia. Along the way, all charging will be provided by the new Sun Country Highway electric vehicle charging station network.
This is great news, hopefully the trip goes well for you guys. I have to admit being a bit surprised at the lack of media coverage of this event, even on SCH's website itself there's no direct mention of this trip:

Sun Country Highway

The only thing I could find was a passing mention to the trip from a month ago:

Riding the electric highway | Sun Country Highway
Community - World Longest/Greenest Highway Project - Clear across Canada!

In another thread you said that the list of charging stations was being kept secret until the end of the trip, is the whole trip also not being 'media-blasted' until its termination?

This is great news, hopefully the trip goes well for you guys. I have to admit being a bit surprised at the lack of media coverage of this event, even on SCH's website itself there's no direct mention of this trip:

Sun Country Highway

In another thread you said that the list of charging stations was being kept secret until the end of the trip, is the whole trip also not being 'media-blasted' until its termination?

they have a few entries on their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/suncountryhighway) which looks like it will be updated as they progress across the country ...

Yippee! I will make good use of this. Hopefully soon! I wasn't sure if they had the prairies done yet, so that means a Tesla delivery party may be slightly possible for me (unless taking delivery in a different province is too much of a hassle!)

Kudos to SCH!

They're now in New Brunswick.

680370_440484602678278_724368221_o.jpg

Twitter: Sun Country Highway (SunCountryHwy) on Twitter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/suncountryhighway
Main site: Sun Country Highway

Hi everyone,

I am responsible for the business development for Sun Country Highway in Quebec and New-Brunswick.

We will start the Quebec branch of the tour next tuesday and we would like to see as many people as possible at each of our stops.

If you wanna come down and talk to us about our network or EV cars please don't hesitate.

If you need more informations about N-B & Quebec please send me an email
at [email protected] and i'll be able to help you.

Tuesday: riviere-du-loup - Quebec city
Wednesday: trois-rivieres - boucherville

Come hang with us!!!!!

Thanks

Olivier Delisle

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

Sun Country Highway

We are doing media events at every locations and we are sending out media release all along the tour. Next week is Quebec and the beginning of Ontario.
Yu can check our twitter & Facebook to see all the links for media coverage!!

Let me know if you need more informations.

Tesla owners will be particularly interested to know that the majority of these charge stations are capable of 70A power.

I was looking at Sun Country's web site and their equipment spec sheets. They would seem to have 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 amp variants of their charger. Are the ones "capable of 70 amps" that you mention the 90 amp model (delivers 72 amps continuous) or the 70 amp model (delivers 56 amps continuous)?

They are "90 amp" models. It was decided to deploy those instead of "100 amp" for now so they wouldn't strand the Roadster owners (whose cars refuse to charge if 80A is offered - some sort of bug that Tesla has known about for a long time but hasn't fixed).

They are "90 amp" models. It was decided to deploy those instead of "100 amp" for now so they wouldn't strand the Roadster owners (whose cars refuse to charge if 80A is offered - some sort of bug that Tesla has known about for a long time but hasn't fixed).

That's great. I figure that should give Model S about 50 MPH of ideal range if I'm doing the math right.

I was looking at Sun Country's web site and their equipment spec sheets. They would seem to have 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 amp variants of their charger. Are the ones "capable of 70 amps" that you mention the 90 amp model (delivers 72 amps continuous) or the 70 amp model (delivers 56 amps continuous)?

Hi,

Just to clear out something.
At Sun Country Highway we are using the actual unit voltage number instead of the continuous amps.

So the model number is the unit voltage (cs90 - 90 amps - 72 continuous)
I know it' s different from what most people are use to.

Thanks

Olivier Delisle
Business development
Sun Country Highway