Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

Blog Entries

Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

As many of you know, I've been helping Sun Country Highway with the development of their charging network. I just thought I'd let you know about some exciting new developments.

Yesterday, in St. John's, Newfoundland, a Tesla Roadster started on a long journey. It will wind its way across the continent, visiting cities all along the Trans Canada Highway, before ultimately arriving in Victoria, British Columbia. Along the way, all charging will be provided by the new Sun Country Highway electric vehicle charging station network. That's right, it's now possible to drive coast-to-coast entirely under electric power!

In a recent tweet Tesla Motors called it "the World's Longest/Greenest Highway Project!"

Chris Misch is tweeting about his progress at Sun Country Highway (SunCountryHwy). They dodged a bit of a bullet today, managing to squeak by just before a landslide washed out the Trans Canada!

At the end of the journey Sun Country Highway will roll out the full charging network, facilitating long-distance travel by electric vehicles for all Canadians. Tesla owners will be particularly interested to know that the majority of these charge stations are capable of 70A power.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Fantastic news Doug! I look forward to seeing the location map. I see there are a couple of Best Westerns already listed on PlugShare, making a road trip from Toronto to Montreal easily doable on 70A.

Many things are really cool about this. Here's just a couple of them:

A) They're doing it in the winter time. It will be cold. It will probably snow. There won't be any campgrounds open for charging.

B) The electrification of SCH is an impressive initiative that leaves me wondering why nobody is doing this in the States other than Tesla with their proprietary SuperChargers.

Hello all!

I'm also helping them out for the Quebec part. I live in Trois-Rivieres and I'm happy to tell that there is two 70 Amps chargers there (one in the Eastern part of TR, and the other on the western part).

It's worth saying that most of those charging stations are free for at least 2 years !!

This is really interesting for model S owners (and Roadster owners), since it is available now !!

Congrats to Kent and his team for being such a visionary !! Hope they will be «contagious!!

P135 CDN
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Yesterday, in St. John's, Newfoundland, a Tesla Roadster started on a long journey. It will wind its way across the continent, visiting cities all along the Trans Canada Highway, before ultimately arriving in Victoria, British Columbia. Along the way, all charging will be provided by the new Sun Country Highway electric vehicle charging station network.
    This is great news, hopefully the trip goes well for you guys. I have to admit being a bit surprised at the lack of media coverage of this event, even on SCH's website itself there's no direct mention of this trip:

Sun Country Highway

The only thing I could find was a passing mention to the trip from a month ago:

Riding the electric highway | Sun Country Highway
    Community - World Longest/Greenest Highway Project - Clear across Canada!

In another thread you said that the list of charging stations was being kept secret until the end of the trip, is the whole trip also not being 'media-blasted' until its termination?

Quote Originally Posted by Spurkey View Post
    This is great news, hopefully the trip goes well for you guys. I have to admit being a bit surprised at the lack of media coverage of this event, even on SCH's website itself there's no direct mention of this trip:

Sun Country Highway

The only thing I could find was a passing mention to the trip from a month ago:

Riding the electric highway | Sun Country Highway
    Community - World Longest/Greenest Highway Project - Clear across Canada!

In another thread you said that the list of charging stations was being kept secret until the end of the trip, is the whole trip also not being 'media-blasted' until its termination?
    they have a few entries on their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/suncountryhighway) which looks like it will be updated as they progress across the country ...
    Canadian Model S - P98 - VIN 5297: 85kWh, Dolphin Grey, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio+, Air, 19", Pano, Twin, Parcel
    Reservation made November, 2010
    Brought home March, 2013

Yippee! I will make good use of this. Hopefully soon! I wasn't sure if they had the prairies done yet, so that means a Tesla delivery party may be slightly possible for me (unless taking delivery in a different province is too much of a hassle!)

Kudos to SCH!

Love this! Great site too - nice for people to see their EV options.

Blog Entries
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Does Sun Country Highway have a list of charging stations installed across Canada ?
    I couldn't find anything on their website.
    ReCargo and PlugShare do not seem up to date

Thread Information