Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to reboot the screens & customize the dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Steve,

You should be able to pull up the same options menu as the left side by holding down the right scroll wheel until it give you the option to scroll through choices like 'Energy' 'Trip' etc.

If you try that and it doesn't pull up that menu, reboot the center screen and the touch screen by holding down both scroll wheels until it reboots. You also hold down the buttons above the scroll wheels to reboot as well. I can't remember which combo reboots which screen, but those are the two reboot methods.

Another things that may have been specific to my car as the right tactile buttons on my steering wheel were a bit sticky. I had to get my fingernail there to jiggle them a bit looser. Before I did that I had trouble accessing some of the menus from the right touch buttons as well.

Hopefully the above things will help you out.

Just FTR:

• Press and hold both scroll wheels together will reboot the 17" center screen
  • Press and hold the two top buttons above the scroll wheels to reboot the dash screen
  • Press and hold right scroll wheel allows to scroll through a menu of options to show on the right of the speedometer
  • Press and hold left scroll wheel allows to scroll through a menu of options to show on the left of the speedometer

Last edited:
But wait, there's more!

• Press and hold menu button to take screen shot (haven't heard of anyone figuring out how to access them though)
  • Press and hold Tesla logo to access Hyperloop plans
  • Press and hold glove box release button to open portal to another dimension
(Okay, so maybe not all of those are 100% accurate...)

Reactions: the_donjuan
  • Press and hold menu button to take screen shot (haven't heard of anyone figuring out how to access them though)
This one is confirmed.
ScreenshotSaved.jpg

Related to this thread: My dash display has a top speed on the speedometer of 112 mph. I have a performance version which is supposed to be able 130 mph! What happened to the last 18 mph indicated? Will this be changed by a later update? Is anyone else seeing anything different?

Same here. Analog speedo tops out around 112mph. I wish they had an alternate "theme" for the instrument cluster that didn't even have an analog speedo at all. I personally find it useless and it looks cluttered. I'm sure some people like it, so they should keep it as the default, but it would be nice if they offered a few alternatives like other cars do.

Related to this thread: My dash display has a top speed on the speedometer of 112 mph. I have a performance version which is supposed to be able 130 mph! What happened to the last 18 mph indicated? Will this be changed by a later update? Is anyone else seeing anything different?
I suspect you're misreading it. The last tick mark before the vertical is a thick one, indicating 120mph (not 110mph).
SigPerfSpeedometer.jpg

Just FTR:

• Press and hold both scroll wheels together will reboot the 17" center screen

Nigel, thanks for your post. Yesterday the Google nav in my S started acting strange: it showed the car over 200 ft. off to the right of where it actually was (but headed in the correct direction). Nothing I did solved the problem, finally I rebooted the center screen (had to search the forums to find instructions, I knew I had read there was a way but couldn't remember the exact buttons) and now the Google nav seems accurate. Weird. Navigon nav on driver display was always correct so did not have to reboot the drivers screen.

Note: the scroll wheels have to be held down for at least 5 seconds before the reboot sequence begins. It takes about a minute for the center screen to come back after holding down the buttons.

That is a very handy feature!

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect you're misreading it. The last tick mark before the vertical is a thick one, indicating 120mph (not 110mph).

Good observation. The mph scale is not linear. The spacing between the thicker marks decreases slightly for each 20mph interval, and decreases significantly for the 100 -120 interval.

The kW scale appears to be linear; spacing between the thick marks appears to be equal throughout the range.