Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Call for a Carbon Tax From Elon Musk...and Many Others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Norbert

TSLA will win
Oct 12, 2009
Everywhere
Article by Jim Motavalli which points to a discussion of this topic on a large scale :

A Call for a Carbon Tax From Elon Musk...and Many Others | PluginCars.com

Musk is not alone in seeing a carbon tax—or at least a coherent national energy policy—as the best solution to reducing our foreign oil addiction and addressing global warming. Bill Ford, executive chairman of the company that bears his name, has long supported higher taxes on gasoline, and he told me that an energy policy could give Ford “some clarity about where the U.S. is going as a country.” Without it, he said, the outlook for green cars resembles “throwing darts.”

All sorts of policy makers support a carbon tax. “Putting a price on carbon is fundamental,” wrote Oxford professor Dieter Helm in a New York Times op-ed this week. “If consumers and businesses do not bear the cost of their carbon pollution, they won’t do much about it.”

And MIT has also weighed in with a report that calls a carbon tax a “win-win” for America. The authors, Sebastian Rausch and John Reilly, say that revenue from a carbon tax could offset the effects of the expiring Bush-era tax cuts. “In addition to economic benefits, a carbon tax reduces carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions to 14 percent below 2006 levels by 2020, and 20 percent below by 2050,” the report says.

A carbon tax is, in fact, the market-based approach that many Republicans say they want. “That’s what this is,” Reilly said. “It would give businesses, and specifically utilities and energy companies, the certainty and flexibility to choose which future investments would save the most energy and money. We would also no longer need the piecemeal regulations that are both inefficient and ineffective.”

Dont think this is a free ride for EV's! Taxing carbon will make the price of all energy soar!. Gas, Electricity, Airline tickets, Energy dependent industries, Food, and most goods and services. I don't agree with this tax. We pay enough without new taxes. IMO

Dont think this is a free ride for EV's! Taxing carbon will make the price of all energy soar!. Gas, Electricity, Airline tickets, Energy dependent industries, Food, and most goods and services. I don't agree with this tax. We pay enough without new taxes. IMO

One of the main arguments for a carbon tax is base-shifting. More carbon tax=less income tax. You just have to trust the government to deliver. Carbon tax and cap-and-trade are basically the same in terms of the incentives they produce, but they have different information requirements for the policy maker. No other policy approach gets the job done with the same level of efficiency. And no other policy approach is less likely to happen.

Yeah, the idea that the government would reduce a tax already in service is laughable.

No kidding! Here in Canada, we still pay fuel taxes that were bumped up years ago to "nationalize" Petro-Canada (Allowed them to buy out Fina, Gulf and other gasoline retailers). Subsequent governments have sold off interest in Petro-Can (now owned by Suncor) but the tax is still there.

According to one reputable study, the national average effect of a $25/MTCO2e tax would be to raise energy prices from $88/MWh to $100/MWh. This increase, however, is greatest in areas in with the lowest starting price of energy: the Midwest and Southeast see a rise of $16-21/MWh, while the Northeast would see a rise of $6-11/MWh. California would only see a $5-6 increase on its $136/MWh base price (in 2020).

A carbon tax (or, equivalently, carbon cap-and-trade) is essential if we're going to spur long-term investment in low-carbon-emitting sources. It should replace the patchwork system of renewable energy subsidies. While I agree with the general proposition that we shouldn't increase the overall tax burden, I think it important that we reduce taxes on "goods" such as labor. When we have a "bad" that's sitting there untaxed, namely carbon emissions, there's an obvious policy win-win scenario.

No kidding! Here in Canada, we still pay fuel taxes that were bumped up years ago to "nationalize" Petro-Canada (Allowed them to buy out Fina, Gulf and other gasoline retailers). Subsequent governments have sold off interest in Petro-Can (now owned by Suncor) but the tax is still there.

True, but the federal government has also significantly reduced income taxes since then, and reduced the GST rate...

The only problem is holding the politicians' feet to the fire on keeping it "revenue neutral". When Stephan Dion was proposing a carbon tax here, he promised it would be revenue neutral - increase carbon tax, decrease income taxes. Unfortunately if you looked at the details, some of the "neutral" was actually increased social spending! That's NOT revenue neutral, that's tax-and-spend! With that kind of crap all the time it's no wonder no one trusts the government to implement a revenue neutral tax shift.

Yeah, the idea that the government would reduce a tax already in service is laughable.
Perhaps you should look at California bill AB 1077. That would be a significant tax reduction for future EV owners. On an electric vehicle which gets a $10,000 discount thanks to tax-credits and state-rebates, that can save almost $1,000 in sales tax and more every subsequent year thanks to a reduction in the vehicle license fee.

Contrast that to other states (MI is the latest example) who are aiming to raise taxes on EVs at a cost likely greater than revenue collected for the foreseeable future thanks to low sales in those states.

So see - it can be done when govt wants to encourage certain behavior.

If I were the benevolent but absolute dictator of the world economy, I would announce that, as of 1 Jan 2020, there will be a $50/MTCO2e tax globally. This lag would give economies time to adjust their capital stocks to use less carbon, reducing the huge hit that people would feel because their purchase decisions (e.g. automobiles) were based on a zero price for carbon emissions.

Pricing NOx and SO2 has been enormously successful in transforming the US power sector to emit less of those pollutants; pricing CO2 emissions would have a comparable effect. If there's no price, the market won't respond with new technologies and rational capital investments.

Let's have a poll to put Robert in that position :wink:

I would like to see that announcement to ramp up by $5M/MTCO2e yearly, starting right now at current prices of the EU emissions trading platform (around $10/T CO2e -- way too low). The schedule must be defined to run at least until 2050, because investments in some power plant are calculated for 40 years.

True, but the federal government has also significantly reduced income taxes since then, and reduced the GST rate...

The only problem is holding the politicians' feet to the fire on keeping it "revenue neutral". When Stephan Dion was proposing a carbon tax here, he promised it would be revenue neutral - increase carbon tax, decrease income taxes. Unfortunately if you looked at the details, some of the "neutral" was actually increased social spending! That's NOT revenue neutral, that's tax-and-spend! With that kind of crap all the time it's no wonder no one trusts the government to implement a revenue neutral tax shift.

Revenue neutral has to include social spending. Carbon taxation increases prices so you have to increase welfare benefits to match appropriately. It's especially true because people at the bottom don't have the capital or power to make rapid change. For example, people on low incomes end up driving other peoples' cast offs, so high fuel prices hit working poor first and the effects last for many years.

EDIT: note that I'm not arguing they weren't doing a Sandy, just that you can't expect all of the revenue to go back to taxpayers.

Because not giving more money to the government will stop the climate from changing; ”The ’free’ ’market’ will take care of it.” Rolling around on my parquet floor and laughing out loud!

You mean we need to spend countless billions more so the government can save us just like they won the war on poverty and drugs and terrors? Lol.

This will en just another slush fund for politicians to finance more fraud, more abuse and more waste of tax payer money.

The government can't even compete at the Post office level with the private sector but will stop the earth climate from changing?

Hahahahahahahaha. Now that is really funny.

Feel free to pay your sin tax for exhaling CO2. I for one will sit back and laugh at the lemmings that follow one crisis after the other (global cooling, global famine, man made global warming, etc, etc).

I always wonder where this near religious unwavering faith in almighty government comes from. I guess the atheists must find something to believe in.

Gee Kaivball - how many half-truths, red herrings and straw-men can you build in one post? I do think you win the record. I don't even know where to begin, but I'm sure someone will take the time to write a line-by-line rebuttal.

BTW - where is Kalifornia?

I always wonder where this near religious unwavering faith in almighty government comes from..

Not sure I agree with all your points, but I do believe you're on to something with this. I too am amazed at how people will not want to take any responsibility for their own actions, but demand/insist that it's the government's duty to "fix" whatever is perceived to be broken. (speaking generally, of course. Not pointing fingers at anyone here :wink:)