Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dashboard Clock

Blog Entries
    Tried the clock, neat! Thanks Rumbles.

Question: entered the URL yesterday afternoon and when I returned to the car a few hours later the clock had advanced only 30 minutes. It happened both times I parked the car last night. Reasons? I would have expected it to stop completely.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Question: entered the URL yesterday afternoon and when I returned to the car a few hours later the clock had advanced only 30 minutes. It happened both times I parked the car last night. Reasons? I would have expected it to stop completely.
    The clock obviously uses CPU cycles to count the seconds, and presumably when the car is off the CPU rate slows way down to conserve energy (it's my thought that the various pumps are what is causing the vampire load, not the CPUs). Only NTP (or an onboard atomic clock) will fix this problem.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

BLUTSLA #516-REDTSLA #272 DrComputer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I loaded the clock on the demo car at the Topanga Plaza grand opening last night. Every Tesla employee thought it was really cool and they all took out their smart phones and wrote down the URL so they could load it in all of the cars (I bookmarked it for them in this car).
    2010 Tesla Roadster #516
    2012 Model S Signature Performance #272
    6kW Solar System by REC Solar with TigoEnergy optimization and monitoring

Sig #540
    DrComputer - Thank you for doing that. Great to hear it is finding an audience. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by richkae View Post
    ...when I accelerate extremely hard, the clock seems to lose time.
    Excellent! That's consistent with Einstein's theories. Nice to know...
    Roadster 2.0 Sport #502: Fusion Red w/Black, CF accent panels. adjustable suspension, HID upgrade, OVMS module.
    Model S #1299 (Reservation #R433, delivered 12/1/12.) P85, Black with tan leather and obeche wood gloss, 19" wheels, pano roof, tech pkg, sound studio pkg, air suspension, twin chargers
    Model X (Reservation #6034, Reserved 9/30/13)

I know somebody in Europe loves the clock. Great job. Kept me thinking about Apple having to pay millions to the owner of the Swiss train clock for copying their design.

Why not let us choose whatever timezone we want/need ? That should fix it for us europeans, but also asians, australians - and anybody else who loves the clock.
    complete Tesla family: Roadster EU VIN 968 delivered July 31, 2012
    MSP EU SP VIN 18968 Oct 11, 2013 - sold,
    MSP EU SP VIN 29134 delivered March 21, 2014
    MX EU X P#85

Quote Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
    Excellent! That's consistent with Einstein's theories. Nice to know...
    I actually think that it is quite possible that Petr Beckmann's theories make relativity unnecessary, but it's still fun to think that the Tesla can approach light speed and slow time.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    The clock obviously uses CPU cycles to count the seconds, and presumably when the car is off the CPU rate slows way down to conserve energy (it's my thought that the various pumps are what is causing the vampire load, not the CPUs). Only NTP (or an onboard atomic clock) will fix this problem.
    Or, does the display computer sleep/suspend after N minutes of inactivity?
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

If the SDK exposes the clock information this gets a whole lot simpler.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    Or, does the display computer sleep/suspend after N minutes of inactivity?
    In an earlier post is was stated that it loses time while driving, my thought is that it's the clock cycle that's reduced. No way of telling without more information though.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thread Information