Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S was delivered the other day and my DS spent time helping me set everything up. My garage door refused to comply even though it was "visible" to the car.

Dropped a call t'o Tesla which got referred to another department :( But, being that I am obsessive compulsive and refuse to cave in to technology, here's what I did.

Put the car in the garage and deleted the failed homelink setting .... rebooted the center console. Repeated the programming. BAM it worked!!

My guess is that ... having the car so close to the opener was the key along with the two front doors being open.

Hopefully, this saves someone some frustration!

Feel free to chime in other suggestions.

Homelink isn't the world's most easy to use system. Typically you have to use both the instructions of the car and the instructions of the garage opener in various combinations to get it to work. However, once working it seems to hold it's settings just fine.

My parents got their Model S and had a lot of trouble with it but the 30 minutes of attempting to get it to work with the door going and down burned out the garage door motor. I guess if it doesn't work right away, try getting it to link up outside the range of the garage door or give the motor a rest between attempts.

Mine linked up quite easily. The issue I have is the length of time the homelink sends the signal. Normally I would tap the button on the remote but the homelink sends the signal for several seconds. 10? It seems that if the signal is good and not disrupted between the homelink and the receiver then it works fine but if it is interrupted the garage door has fits and stops and starts closing and is a pain. So I have to be in the right spot and wait for it to open or close all the way.

Mine linked up quite easily. The issue I have is the length of time the homelink sends the signal. Normally I would tap the button on the remote but the homelink sends the signal for several seconds. 10? It seems that if the signal is good and not disrupted between the homelink and the receiver then it works fine but if it is interrupted the garage door has fits and stops and starts closing and is a pain. So I have to be in the right spot and wait for it to open or close all the way.
The instructions say hold it down so you get a nice clean signal. The car seems to then play a long signal which confuses my garage. I plan to retrain it with short signal to see if that fixes it.

Is there any age limit to one's garage door opener that may make it incompatible with home link?

Shouldn't be.

Along with the other helpful hints, here's mine: Try setting it as a two person job; by having one of outside the car with the remote and pressing the "learn" button and one of inside the car it took all of 20secs and worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
try a fresh battery in the remote transmitter. Might put out a stronger signal that is easier to 'learn'.

I finally got it to work by purchasing a Liftmaster remote control from Home Depot. I paired this controller with my garage door and had the Model S learn from the Liftmaster opener. My Model S does not seem to like Chamberlain remote transmitters.

The great thing about the Model S is that you do not need a ladder to hit the learn button on the remote receiver. All you have to do is park the Model S underneath the remote receiver and open up the Panoramic roof.

I finally got it to work by purchasing a Liftmaster remote control from Home Depot. I paired this controller with my garage door and had the Model S learn from the Liftmaster opener. My Model S does not seem to like Chamberlain remote transmitters.

That's rather odd, considering Chamberlain makes LiftMasters too, and their 3-button remotes are identical (at least mine are -- the Security+ 315 MHz openers are, except the brand name silk-screening). The model S learned my Chamberlain and LiftMaster remotes without a problem.

PRJIM, what Model S code version do you have? We have the latest (as of Sunday, 12/9) and homelink was dead simple. I left the car in the garage and just followed the instructions on the screen. Worked like a charm on our Chamberlain LiftMaster.

PRJIM, what Model S code version do you have? We have the latest (as of Sunday, 12/9) and homelink was dead simple. I left the car in the garage and just followed the instructions on the screen. Worked like a charm on our Chamberlain LiftMaster.

v4 The Chamberlain branded remote can be operated via dip switches or rolling codes. The new Liftmaster remote control did not have these dip switches. My guess is that the Model S does not like older style remotes?

Sometimes there is a learn button on the opener itself that must be pressed first and gives you time to get down off he step ladder to program. Also in Canada there are different instructions for Homelink. My Lexus came with a separate sheet for Canada. Also if he garage door seems to burn out try unplugging for a few minutes and let the motor protection reset. It's there to save the motor when setting up your garage opener with all the opening and closing. Hope this helps at least a few of your problems.

Feature enhancement for Homelink: I wish we could specify the distance (radius?) away from the garage door that the button appears. The button for my garage, for example, only auto presents about 10' in front of the door and I have to wait or manually activate the homelink button (sigh) so I can open the door as I drive toward my house (about 100'). The homelink function works perfectly, I would just like to specify how far away the button shows up.

Having said that, Tesla is the only car that I know of that (due to its touch interface vs. hard buttons) is geo aware and presents the correct opener button when near that garage. Its a VERY cool feature that I hope will only get better in future software rev.

To be clear, Homelink works for me from 75' or more away no problem. My BMW had roughly the same range, perhaps a bit more. My request is for the button to present when xx feet away from door so I can touch it and open. Now to open far enough away I need to touch 'H' then touch the door.

Same here. The range is really good but icon doesn't turn green and auto present the button until 10 feet.