Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homelink

Homelink

My S was delivered the other day and my DS spent time helping me set everything up. My garage door refused to comply even though it was "visible" to the car.

Dropped a call t'o Tesla which got referred to another department But, being that I am obsessive compulsive and refuse to cave in to technology, here's what I did.

Put the car in the garage and deleted the failed homelink setting .... rebooted the center console. Repeated the programming. BAM it worked!!

My guess is that ... having the car so close to the opener was the key along with the two front doors being open.

Hopefully, this saves someone some frustration!

Feel free to chime in other suggestions.
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Homelink isn't the world's most easy to use system. Typically you have to use both the instructions of the car and the instructions of the garage opener in various combinations to get it to work. However, once working it seems to hold it's settings just fine.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Is there any age limit to one's garage door opener that may make it incompatible with home link?

Sent via Tapatalk...cool.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    My parents got their Model S and had a lot of trouble with it but the 30 minutes of attempting to get it to work with the door going and down burned out the garage door motor. I guess if it doesn't work right away, try getting it to link up outside the range of the garage door or give the motor a rest between attempts.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Mine linked up quite easily. The issue I have is the length of time the homelink sends the signal. Normally I would tap the button on the remote but the homelink sends the signal for several seconds. 10? It seems that if the signal is good and not disrupted between the homelink and the receiver then it works fine but if it is interrupted the garage door has fits and stops and starts closing and is a pain. So I have to be in the right spot and wait for it to open or close all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by goyogi View Post
    Mine linked up quite easily. The issue I have is the length of time the homelink sends the signal. Normally I would tap the button on the remote but the homelink sends the signal for several seconds. 10? It seems that if the signal is good and not disrupted between the homelink and the receiver then it works fine but if it is interrupted the garage door has fits and stops and starts closing and is a pain. So I have to be in the right spot and wait for it to open or close all the way.
    The instructions say hold it down so you get a nice clean signal. The car seems to then play a long signal which confuses my garage. I plan to retrain it with short signal to see if that fixes it.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Is there any age limit to one's garage door opener that may make it incompatible with home link?
    Shouldn't be.

Along with the other helpful hints, here's mine: Try setting it as a two person job; by having one of outside the car with the remote and pressing the "learn" button and one of inside the car it took all of 20secs and worked flawlessly.
    Last edited by NigelM; 2012-11-18 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Tags added to thread

Any other tips? I still can't get it to link with my chamberlain remote control..

Quote Originally Posted by PRJIM View Post
    Any other tips? I still can't get it to link with my chamberlain remote control..
    try a fresh battery in the remote transmitter. Might put out a stronger signal that is easier to 'learn'.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotSteve View Post
    try a fresh battery in the remote transmitter. Might put out a stronger signal that is easier to 'learn'.
    I finally got it to work by purchasing a Liftmaster remote control from Home Depot. I paired this controller with my garage door and had the Model S learn from the Liftmaster opener. My Model S does not seem to like Chamberlain remote transmitters.

The great thing about the Model S is that you do not need a ladder to hit the learn button on the remote receiver. All you have to do is park the Model S underneath the remote receiver and open up the Panoramic roof.

Thread Information