Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hypothetical: You get one free car... what car do you choose?

Which car do you choose?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hypothetical question:

A genie tells you that he will give you one car for free that you're not allowed to give away or sell. It could be any car at all. An Enzo Ferrari, a Bugatti Veyron, a Ford Model T… anything. What car do you choose?

Personally, I would choose the Tesla Model S. I actually think it’s better than everything else out there.

What about you?

Hypothetical question:

A genie tells you that he will give you one car for free that you're not allowed to give away or sell. It could be any car at all. An Enzo Ferrari, a Bugatti Veyron, a Ford Model T… anything. What car do you choose?

Personally, I would choose the Tesla Model S. I actually think it’s better than everything else out there.

What about you?

Answering exactly as you asked, I would go for a Porsche 918.

If you added another constraint, that I had to keep it properly maintained and return it after 10 years - functional in average condition for a car of its vintage...

Then I would go with the Model S, because the Porsche super car would be fun but I would not want to maintain or repair it.

I'll also add, that even if someone magically gave me the Porsche 918, i would buy myself a Model S ( already did )

Hypothetical question:

A genie tells you that he will give you one car for free that you're not allowed to give away or sell. It could be any car at all. An Enzo Ferrari, a Bugatti Veyron, a Ford Model T… anything.

What car do you choose?

Well, I would go with the Bugatti Veyron too. But I would sell it immediately after. And for the money earned, I would buy a house, a Model S, ordered Model X, and go on a cruise around the world. :)

Well that was actually addressed in the statements leading to the question. I was a little dismayed that the poll added the frustrating qualifier 'existing' on the list. I was going to go for a flying, time traveling, Mr. Fusion powered DeLorean, but alas.

I think I would take a 911 not sure though, premium gas is expensive. No Bugatti for me. I haven't voted yet.

Its really hard for me to say since I have never seen or sat in a Model-S in person. I'm actually afraid the car might be too big for my tastes. But I just can't say for sure until I see one up close, or better yet, see how it fits in my garage. I've always liked small cars. The Chevy Volt is just about the perfect size for me. I have ridden in a Roadster before, though.. and I can say without a doubt it is far too small.

My idea car would be a Chevy Volt with about twice the EV range and could do zero to 60 in 6 seconds or less. I think I'd be plenty happy with that.

But if I had to pick from existing vehicles, The Tesla Model S would probably have to be it. Worst case I could always sell it and buy two Volts.

(Incidentally, we already own a 2012 Chevy Volt and a 2011 Nissan Leaf)

Sorry, but if money is no object I'd choose something crazy like a Bugatti.

Yeah the Veyron is fast, but it's loud, it gets terrible mileage, it's expensive to repair, and while it does accelerate faster than a Model S, I personally probably wouldn't accelerate very fast in it anyway due to the fact that it would be wicked loud while accelerating, and everyone would be looking at me. That's just not the kind of attention I'm looking for. As is said so well in the My Car or Our Car blog entry "[with Teslas] It's a different kind of attention ... not about [you], but about the statement the car itself makes."

I love the Model S and I CAN'T WAIT for mine but given a free car of any make/model/year it would have to be the Ferrari FF. For what ever reason that car gets my blood boiling. Shooting brake/hatch styling, AWD, 600+hp 450+lb/ft...YES PLEASE! Practical (for a Ferrari) and drop dead gorgeous.

Since it's front engine I can do all the work myself on the car and just pay the rediculous amount for premium gas and parts.

Ferrari FF Official Video - YouTube

If it's a car-and-that's-it genie I'd take a nearly-loaded Tesla Model S Performance (which is how I voted).

This was my intention.

The point of my hypothetical is this: If you go on most car forums that sell cars for under $100,000 and ask the people there what car they want most in the world, it's usually some ridiculous super car. It's not usually the sub-$100,000 car that the forum was made for. Here things are different. I literally believe the decked out $100,000 Model S is the best car on the planet. And that's kind of cool to me.

I was just wondering if it was that way for everyone else here too.

No brainer: McLaren F1

The Model S is great, but there is no way I would pass up any of the classics: the Mac, F40, 288 GTO, 300SL Gullwing, etc. History is not going to look at the Model S as an instant classic. It is important and groundbreaking, but not a classic.