Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rear floor matt from Target (cheap)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Like any obsessive car enthusiast, I was immediately concerned about the rear carpeting since the vehicle doesn't have rear mats yet.

As a stopgap until I get some from Tesla or Lloyd's or whatever, I found this at Target for $12.99:
RearFloorMatTarget.png

It's about 2 inches shorter than I'd like (on the long axis) and about 3 inches wider than I'd like (on the narrow axis) but it's not a bad option in a pinch.

Target link:
Mohawk Home Ribbed Utility Doormat - Gray (2x4') : Target utility mat

I'll add some phone shots momentarily.
WP_000237.jpg
WP_000242.jpg
WP_000243.jpg

Last edited:
Don't mean to be the naysayer here, but why not just get the Lloyd's mats now?

My car won't be in my garage until the end of December or the early part of January, but my Lloyd's mats are being delivered tomorrow. They are already custom sized by Lloyds.

I know that many don;t agree with me on this next point, but here goes: I think carpet mats in cars are ludicrous. I have lived in snowy places (MA, PA, OH), Dusty places (AZ), Sandy places (SC), and muddy places (LA, CA). In all of those locations, even without kids, any carpet mats were destroyed as far as appearance goes in about 3 seconds. Then you have to obsessively clean them if you want them to look good. Seems VERY silly to me.

I always cover my floors with rubberized or similar all-weather mats as soon as I get them. I prefer weather tech FloorLiners, but they haven't made them for the Model S yet so that's not an option for now. As a result, I ordered the rubber Lloyds mats. Never used them before, but rumor has it that they smell pretty bad upon receipt until they off-gas for a number of weeks. I figure I will let them air out until the car arrives. Then upon delivery I don't have to worry about staining up the floor, or what is on my shoes, or what my kids tracked into the car, or the chicken nugget with S+S sauce my kid just dropped, etc, etc.

SO, to reiterate, it seems to me that for such a nice car a custom fit mat will offer more coverage and look better. If you go with rubber you mats will protect the car well and be easy to clean. If you go with carpet they will feel plush and look good for 5 minutes, then look like crap forever.

Just my 2 cents. I am quite sure that opinions will vary here, as I remember a prior post arguing that rubber mats only belong on pickup trucks and SUVs. Maybe so if you have a steam cleaner built into the wall of your garage and enjoy using it. Otherwise....

Cheers.

Don't mean to be the naysayer here, but why not just get the Lloyd's mats now?

My car won't be in my garage until the end of December or the early part of January, but my Lloyd's mats are being delivered tomorrow. They are already custom sized by Lloyds.
I didn't order mats yet (Lloyds or otherwise) because I wanted to see which ones the forum converged on as desirable. My car (happily) arrived before I decided on which mats to order. With that having happened, protecting the rear carpet was instantly a concern - hence the drive (heh...) for a quick, cheap temporary carpet protector.

So in short, I don't we disagree... just different timing.

Gratz on your Lloyd's mats. I look forward to your review. :)

I look forward to my in-car review as well, but of course I need a car for that...

The mats arrived today. I am happy to report that the smell concern is overblown online (shocking).

If you press your nose up to them they smell gnarly. If you are holding them at arm's length in a garage, you cannot smell them at all; I am not even close to anosmic. Perhaps there are differences between batches or something, but they appear well made and durable, and they don't seem to smell as bad as expected. For now, that's the only review I can give.

I got the mats to cover the frunk, front seats, and second row seats. I have yet to get anything for the back trunk and well because I am getting the jump seats and have some concerns that the shape may need to be different to accommodate whatever space they take up.

I will keep you all posted.

Bigger congrats on your new car brianman!

I know that many don;t agree with me on this next point, but here goes: I think carpet mats in cars are ludicrous. I have lived in snowy places...

I always cover my floors with rubberized or similar all-weather mats as soon as I get them. I prefer weather tech FloorLiners...

I use carpet mats in the summer and switch to WeatherTech mats (more like "pans" actually) in the winter. I just think the carpet mats look and feel much better when the weather permits. I have a ritual each November when I put on my winter tires, plop in the rubber mats and switch my wiper blades to the winter variety. Oh, and get my snow brush out of storage and throw it in to the back seat!

The mats arrived today. I am happy to report that the smell concern is overblown online (shocking).

If you press your nose up to them they smell gnarly. If you are holding them at arm's length in a garage, you cannot smell them at all; I am not even close to anosmic. Perhaps there are differences between batches or something, but they appear well made and durable, and they don't seem to smell as bad as expected.

It may be different as the slight smell can build up in a sealed environment. Luckily you have some time to air it out.

Goyogi you are correct.

So I went into the garage today and after a few days there the smell has accumulated. It is not headache strong or anything, but it is now certainly apparent rather than absent.

In a closed car I could see this building up to being unpleasant.

Since I have a lot of weeks yet before the car arrives, I will let you all know my experience with how this goes.

I have read that one can help quicken the offgassing from new rubber by washing it with a water and vinegar solution. I may try that shortly before installing them regardless of the time between now and then just to be sure. Others have also mentioned putting them in direct sunlight for a few hours to bake the smell off. I can try that too.

My guess is that as long as you have a few weeks to air them out, they will probably be fine. If nobody beats me to it, I will post pictures and a smell report after I get the car as until the weathertech FloorLiners are out, I am sure others will be interested in the Lloyd option.

Cheers.

I've lost track so point of clarification:
The odor commentary is about some mats other than the Target one. Correct?

Mods can rearrange the threads if they like, that's not my concern in this particular case.

Ended up with Lloyd's mats: Ultimat in burgandy with black vinyl trim to be exact. Have been in car since last Friday; 5 days. Just went out to garage to check smell (wife's daily driver, so I don't know about smell yet)... maybe a bit more 'new car smell' than I'm used to. But I sat in car for a couple songs while poking buttons and quickly forgot about the smell, if any.