Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Regen limited due to cold today

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    What, Toronto businesses don't have block heater plug ins for employees? Out here there are 110v plugs all over the place, since an ICE can have a hard time starting after sitting for 8 hours or so on a cold day. One reason Manitoba should be great for EV's; we're used to plugging in our cars all winter anyway!
    The lakes around Toronto limit the temperatures. So even though Toronto feels colder than Winnipeg it's actually warmer.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    What, Toronto businesses don't have block heater plug ins for employees? Out here there are 110v plugs all over the place, since an ICE can have a hard time starting after sitting for 8 hours or so on a cold day. One reason Manitoba should be great for EV's; we're used to plugging in our cars all winter anyway!
    Very rare in the Southern Ontario region where winters aren't really that cold. (It gets quite damp and uncomfortable with temperatures going above and below freezing, but generally not that "deep freeze" where block heaters are needed). Here's the funny part, though: I work as a senior executive at an electric utility where we are promoting EVs (we have a Volt), but no public or employee charging infrastructure! This is something I'll be tackling with the senior leadership team, and I hope to be able to promote some charging infrastructure at local malls and so forth.

I noticed the same thing this AM. About 40 degrees out, and no regen. I also had a line at the top (red) side of the gauge, which I assume restricted the output of the battery as well, although I did not test this. What I was surprised by was that it didn't warn me more vociferously, because I was quite surprised when the car didn't slow as quickly when I took my foot off the accelerator.

I left the car outside last night, not plugged in. Tonight it will be plugged in, and I'll check in the AM if the regen is off.

Blog Entries
    Yet another one of those innumerable "undocumented features" that this forum is invaluable for discovering! Since Many of us will be getting our cars in the depth of winter, it is sure good to know these little quirks in advance.

BTW, even the Roadster is not truly "on/off" with regen; it just does not tell you so obviously what the current limit is, given its traditional mechanical power meter. If you watch carefully as you begin a drive after a full range mode charge, you will see the power meter needle gradually venture further and further to the left, as the regen capacity is restored.
    "Constraints are gifts to creative people."

Roadster 2.0 #905 | Model S Signature Performance #2001

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Keep in mind a full charge on lowly 110 takes about 65 hours.
    Charging Model S | Tesla Motors
    It's not about charging, it's about keeping things a bit warmer. The question here is that it seems as though an unplugged car doesn't keep itself warm enough to prevent regen limitation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    Very rare in the Southern Ontario region where winters aren't really that cold. (It gets quite damp and uncomfortable with temperatures going above and below freezing, but generally not that "deep freeze" where block heaters are needed). Here's the funny part, though: I work as a senior executive at an electric utility where we are promoting EVs (we have a Volt), but no public or employee charging infrastructure! This is something I'll be tackling with the senior leadership team, and I hope to be able to promote some charging infrastructure at local malls and so forth.
    Sorry, I was being a bit facetious, pretending Winnipeg was superior since we have plugs everywhere. <- guess I should have used one of these! It IS quite funny that you work for a utility, though!

@KBF - Noted.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    Yet another one of those innumerable "undocumented features" that this forum is invaluable for discovering! Since Many of us will be getting our cars in the depth of winter, it is sure good to know these little quirks in advance.

BTW, even the Roadster is not truly "on/off" with regen; it just does not tell you so obviously what the current limit is, given its traditional mechanical power meter. If you watch carefully as you begin a drive after a full range mode charge, you will see the power meter needle gradually venture further and further to the left, as the regen capacity is restored.
    The Roadster is on/off with regen when it's related to the cold. It's varied only when related to a range mode charge. So the Model S is exhibiting different behavior than the Roadster (with respect to cold & regen). Will be interesting to see what it's like when it's REALLY cold ...
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

According to the Tesla service people the yellow dotted line shows up when the battery is fully charged and can't take much additional charge. The line is very useful because it shows you how much regen you can expect before you cruise up to a stop sign expecting normal regen and have to stomp the brakes. As you use some power from the battery the yellow line will gradually move down the scale (indicating that the battery can take more regen) and then will disappear when the power level is low enough that full regen can be accepted. To the limit of my understanding the line has nothing to do with ambient temperature -- and shouldn't, since the battery pack is fully temperature controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    The Roadster is on/off with regen when it's related to the cold. It's varied only when related to a range mode charge. So the Model S is exhibiting different behavior than the Roadster (with respect to cold & regen). Will be interesting to see what it's like when it's REALLY cold ...
    I can confirm the Roadster regen is on/off when related to cold which is the way it should be based on the chemistry. That's why it's a bit odd to phase in and out. In any case it's quite disconcerting for those of us who live where it's cold most of the year. Also a bit odd that it starts at about 40 deg F! Where I live you will end up driving home without regen for almost half the year. The Roadster is much better; it won't limit regen until you get down to about 3 or 4 C.

I wonder if it has to do with thermal management in different regions of the battery. In other words, perhaps the average brick temp was 40 F, but there were pockets at around 36F, low enough to turn off regen in those areas but not the whole pack until temps evened out more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Somewhat OT, but would extreme cold affect the touchscreen?
    The Roadster touchscreen slows a little in deep cold but remains quite functional, much better than most of the Prius screens I've seen in deep cold. I would assume the S is as good as the Roadster. No evidence that they cheaped-out on the touchscreen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    According to the Tesla service people the yellow dotted line shows up when the battery is fully charged and can't take much additional charge. The line is very useful because it shows you how much regen you can expect before you cruise up to a stop sign expecting normal regen and have to stomp the brakes. As you use some power from the battery the yellow line will gradually move down the scale (indicating that the battery can take more regen) and then will disappear when the power level is low enough that full regen can be accepted. To the limit of my understanding the line has nothing to do with ambient temperature -- and shouldn't, since the battery pack is fully temperature controlled.
    If they're telling you it's only when the battery approaches full (range mode) charge, they're mistaken. It also shows up when the battery is too cold (I was nowhere near full).
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Thread Information