Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Regen limited due to cold today

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    So some enterprising person, perhaps SoftAuthor, needs to come up with an easily removable bottom insulation solution.
    just use some 3M crazy velcro on the edges and carpet tape for the center to mount a sheet of 10mm neoprene to the underside
    it might help some
    - 'Joules' 12/1/12 - 28550mi @ 368Whr/mi Zextraterrestials S (tory)

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    Regen slowly increased and was back to normal within 10-15 minutes (I missed when it went back to normal).
    Was the car plugged in? If so, I would have thought that it would keep the battery at optimal temperature. Sounds like the 10 minutes of driving was needed to warm up the pack.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    Was the car plugged in? If so, I would have thought that it would keep the battery at optimal temperature. Sounds like the 10 minutes of driving was needed to warm up the pack.
    I think it keeps the battery warm and cold enough to avoid degradation. I don't think it keeps it within, say, 10C. That would take a fair bit of energy to do.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    I think it keeps the battery warm and cold enough to avoid degradation. I don't think it keeps it within, say, 10C. That would take a fair bit of energy to do.
    Makes sense. I probably wouldn't want to pay for unneeded kWhs with the car plugged in for extended periods.

I believe Tesla is working on the ability to "schedule" drive times to pre-heat or pre-cool the car while still plugged in so that you don't waste battery power and range starting out very hot or cold. Perhaps in this scenario they'll optimize the battery temperature too.

Blog Entries
    It was not plugged in. The roadster would keep the pack heated when cold out and plugged in. It used a fair amount of power to do so. No idea what the model s does. I'm in a garage and no plug at work so I doubt I'll get the chance to find out.
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    I'm in a garage and no plug at work so I doubt I'll get the chance to find out.
    I'll be in the same boat (no place to plug in at work) when I get my car.

A newbie question, why is there a limiter when it is cold?

TMS 85 owner :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Lau View Post
    A newbie question, why is there a limiter when it is cold?
    The chemistry changes when the battery is cold. The lithium tends to precipitate in metal form on one of the electrodes, I think. Anyway, the batteries will degrade rapidly if charged when very cold.

I'll be in the same boat (no place to plug in at work) when I get my car.
    What, Toronto businesses don't have block heater plug ins for employees? Out here there are 110v plugs all over the place, since an ICE can have a hard time starting after sitting for 8 hours or so on a cold day. One reason Manitoba should be great for EV's; we're used to plugging in our cars all winter anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    What, Toronto businesses don't have block heater plug ins for employees? Out here there are 110v plugs all over the place, since an ICE can have a hard time starting after sitting for 8 hours or so on a cold day. One reason Manitoba should be great for EV's; we're used to plugging in our cars all winter anyway!
    Keep in mind a full charge on lowly 110 takes about 65 hours.
    Charging Model S | Tesla Motors
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Thread Information