Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pike Research Study on interest in PEVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ipdamages

Roadster Sport 835
Sep 25, 2011
Las Vegas Area
Electric Vehicle Consumer Survey Pike Research

I registered with them, which allowed me to see a 10-page summary of the report. It costs $2,900 to see the full report (though I don't see much incremental value above the summary).

Highlights:

- people interested in PEVs are down from 2010 to 2011 to 2012 (44% -> 40% -> 35%)

- range anxiety is still a big concern

- the top five brands considered are Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Honda, and Nissan

- people in different demographic groups expressed similar interest levels

- the analysis indicated that respondents are willing to pay $23,650 for a car that would be priced at $20,000 in an ICE equivalent version

- highest value for the money was in the Prius plug-in and Volt

- many respondents believe that PEVs are not cheaper to own than ICE equivalents

- 1/3 of respondents think batteries are dangerous

- 40% think that owners are often left stranded when they run out of power

- 81% are very interested in fast-charging

I find it interesting that Tesla was conspicuously absent. Not sure why. It certainly appears that the study was focused on lower-end models, but if people were permitted to list the cars in which they were interested, that would allow Tesla to show up if there was interest. I surmise that it is because Tesla is still in the premium category and not a real option to the mass market at this time. I look forward to Gen III making progress toward greater accessibility, as well as the car being smaller than the Model S. And then there is Gen IV...

Last edited:
After listening to the audience response to the Tesla Model S on Jimmy Falon last night made me realize that Tesla is right on the cusp of entering the general public's consciousness.
Due to the sequence of recent mainstream events people are now just starting to realize that the Model S is something different and it's starting to generate curiousity among the general population.

As they start to investigate further I hope that Tesla's engineering, battery management and safety consciousness gets adequate attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an eye opener. Look at the roots and funding of Pew Research.

The Pew Charitable Trusts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course gas would not be in this equation.