View Poll Results: Model S "Touring"

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent idea, would take it over Model S!

86 47.78%
  • Great idea for a lot of buyers, but would still buy the sedan

66 36.67%
  • Not a good idea.

28 15.56%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Model S Wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by sms_327 View Post
    It's unlikely that this would ever see the light of day simply because it would cannibalize sales of the Model X.
    I agree that it’s probably unlikely. But I think the reason we probably won’t see one is because TM doesn’t think they can sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. That combined with TM still being a very small car company with limited engineering resources and needing those engineering resources elsewhere; namely Model X and gen3.

If Tesla was able to adapt the Model S design and production process to make this variation .. I'd probably trip over myself trying to get the first deposit down !

And .. as an ex RS6 owner back in my fossil juice days, I just know they'd sell a ton of these in Germany and the EU in general.

Go on Elon. Pretty Please.
    With sugar on top .. ?

Well this thread is pretty old but anyway... I guess that as soon as the GigaFactory is running they will have both a larger cashflow for model development but mor importantly, they're gonna want to have cars for many more segments when they are able to meet the demand. Im guessing for a volvo s40/v40 style for the gen 3. A sleek looking car in both sedan and wagon model. But allso the model S will have a wagon version. And regarding the aerodynammics discussed earlier in the thread i dont think that making awagon has to make the car much less aerodynamic. The MB Bionic concept is a really high car that still has one of the lowest drag coefficients in the world for practical designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostkaka View Post
    .. And regarding the aerodynammics discussed earlier in the thread i dont think that making a wagon has to make the car much less aerodynamic.

I have some practical experience of Aerodynamics and guesstimate that Cd of a Model S wagon / estate / Avant version would likely increase from the standard cars 0.24 to around 0.28, primarily due to the loss of the fastback design. Assuming all other aspects remain the same the likely range reduction due to the increase in Cd would probably work out around 20 to 25 miles less (85kwh car). You could claw about half of this back by increasing tyre pressure by 20% from the recommended comfort setting, but changing the tyres to lower rolling resistance would noticeably increase range beyond the standard car by some +20 to 30 miles! ( .. and yes, I realise there would be minor variations in feel and ultimate grip etc etc, but we're talking small percentages .. )

Quote Originally Posted by Ostkaka View Post
    Well this thread is pretty old but anyway... I guess that as soon as the GigaFactory is running they will have both a larger cashflow for model development but mor importantly, they're gonna want to have cars for many more segments when they are able to meet the demand. Im guessing for a volvo s40/v40 style for the gen 3. A sleek looking car in both sedan and wagon model. But allso the model S will have a wagon version. And regarding the aerodynammics discussed earlier in the thread i dont think that making awagon has to make the car much less aerodynamic. The MB Bionic concept is a really high car that still has one of the lowest drag coefficients in the world for practical designs.
    Remember that drag is Cd * area, so even if the Bionic has a low Cd, the height increases it's frontal area. If you could make a tractor trailer with better Cd than the Model S, it would still have higher total drag due to the massive frontal area

Thread Information