Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Political - Degrading Freedoms

Political - Degrading Freedoms

The ridiculous society we are living in...

Man arrested for posting image of burning poppy on Twitter - Telegraph

Dose that "crime" justify handcuffs? And arrest? Really?

Ok, that is what happening in Europe... But America getting closer too to those standards unfortunately.

I think this is related to mcornwell pic.
    "They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." Bob Monkhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Zzzz... View Post
    The ridiculous society we are living in...

Man arrested for posting image of burning poppy on Twitter - Telegraph

Dose that "crime" justify handcuffs? And arrest? Really?

Ok, that is what happening in Europe... But America getting closer too to those standards unfortunately.

I think this is related to mcornwell pic.
    I'm confused. This is an article in a U.K. news outlet with no reference to the U.S. Did I miss something in the information that indicates this is at all related to America?
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    I'm confused. This is an article in a U.K. news outlet with no reference to the U.S. Did I miss something in the information that indicates this is at all related to America?
    You think that US and/or UK is not a part of western world? Or you are not aware of cultural and military ties between them? That they both fought together in recent wars? Or you think Twitter, who conveniently banned the user have nothing to do with US? US corporation taking preemptive action based on UK police decisions...

And if it is possible to arrest and handcuff person in UK based on pic that poses no threat to anyone, I would not say that it is totally impossible for US police to take similar actions, lets say in case of mcornwell. If they feel like it.

Mcornwell was somewhat defensive here already.

And if you think that US police/government is way better then UK one, refresh your memories of Waco massacre.

As I said, there are more freedoms in US for now. Gun laws are among them. But even those freedoms are deteriorating fast. The very recent news for example: Gun owners fear crackdown under Obama

You can think that if US friend, United Kingdom is arresting citizens for what, posting pics of burning poppies on Twitter? is not an indication of what could happen or already happening in US. Your opinion. But my opinion is that if US police decide to go after you for posting pics online - they could do it.
    "They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." Bob Monkhouse

The only thing I know about those "poppy" things is they were wearing them on Top Gear when they reviewed the Tesla Roadster.
    The world loves to be deceived.

The guy who burned poppy clearly an idiot. Or were drunk/on crack or something.
    I got deep respect for veterans.

But that still could not be a ground for arrest. Here is the pic:

Name:  poppy.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  36.5 KB

Lots of people north here are wearing them. Different design though.

But that still could not be a ground for arrest. Here is the pic:

(Redacted)
    He wasn't arrested for burning the poppy (legal), but for posting the picture online (illegal) - which is exactly what you just did
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

As I said, there are more freedoms in US for now. Gun laws are among them. But even those freedoms are deteriorating fast. The very recent news for example: Gun owners fear crackdown under Obama
    Yep, there's a reason I moved out of Tulsa Completely unfounded hysteria. I had a heck of a good time during the election pointing out to rednecks that Obama has NEVER banned a single gun while Romney DID ban tons of guns while Governor of Mass. I cancelled my NRA membership over their contortions to support him. I don't believe a word that comes out of any politician's mouth, period. I only believe what they do. Romney is a gun-banner and that is that.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Looks like this is similar to burning a US flag, only more offensive since the disrespect is directed at veterans that gave all for their country.

I would not be quick to judge.

GSP

Blog Entries
    Time for some context from a Brit who's now an American....

The US constitution guarantees freedom of speech even if it's offensive to others. In Britain that's not the case and there is no comparable constitution. The Brits have an established precedent of free speech but not if it's inciteful, malicious or offensive to society. British law is a little vague about what language may incite violence or other extreme behaviour but generally speaking policing authorities only get involved with cases such as neo-nazis or, in more recent years, occasional Muslim fanatics inciting terrorism.

In the UK, the poppy is worn in November every year in remembrance of deceased military and originally came from the poppies that bloomed on the battlefields of WWI. Burning poppies at this time of year would be as offensive to many Brits as burning the US flag in July would be to many Americans. The kid concerned was not handcuffed, that generally only happens in the UK with someone who is being violent, but he was arrested and held for 24 hours then released on bail. It's a grey area of the law and it apparently hasn't been decided yet whether he will face charges.

Here in the US we have almost unlimited freedom to offend others, in the UK there is a threshold but it's not defined.

SSL #180
    Thank you Nigel, great information. I appreciate you taking time to post!

Thread Information