Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Chargers and Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about getting dual chargers (I'm wanting to drive the S to Whistler or to our cabin that is a few hundred km's away) and I know that there are 80Amp chargers at both locations. The dual chargers would allow me to stop, get groceries for the weekend and recoup enough charge to get me back home a few days later.

A few years from now I could also add the Tesla home charger and benefit from faster charging their.

Now, my question goes to the superchargers. If I get the supercharger, do I also benefit from faster charging on the 80 Amp stations as above? Reason I'm curious is that it would make more sense to get supercharging for a few extra bucks and get the benefit of both supercharging and the twin chargers then just getting twin chargers. BUT, i dont want to loose the ability to get faster charges on non super charging stations.

Does this make sense...

Supercharging and dual charging are completely independent. If you get the dual chargers then you can benefit from up to 80AC charging stations including Tesla's High Power Charger. If you get Supercharging then you can use Tesla SuperChargers. Getting one doesn't impact the other.

The batteries in your car are DC. Power from the wall is AC. The chargers in the car change the AC from the wall into DC for the batteries. Having dual chargers allows you to transform AC into DC at a higher rate (ie the 80A chargers). Superchargers are DC so they are bypassing the car's onboard charger(s) and going straight into the batteries. The supercharging hardware is some additional bits to manage the direct DC connection to the batteries and allow the bypass. So dual chargers have no effect on supercharging and vice-versa.

In BC we have 80 Amp Chargers in Hope, BC and Merrit BC, and I believe they are putting on in Whistler. They are by Sun Country I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's try that again. Haven't replied with quote before lol.
In BC we have 80 Amp Chargers in Hope, BC and Merrit BC, and I believe they are putting on in Whistler. They are by Sun Country I believe.

No unfortunately. SuperCharging has no bearing if you get a single or dual AC charger. To see any benefit of dual AC chargers you need a J1772 that will run at 50 amps or better. In over 13,000 miles of driving I have to find one.

Do those all have Roadster plug ends on them? J1772?

The owner has a roadster (Drove it across Canada in the Spring), and according to what I've read in all my research, yes they are J12772 connections.

- - - Updated - - -

The owner has a roadster (Drove it across Canada in the Spring), and according to what I've read in all my research, yes they are J12772 connections.

Yep, "90A Circuit Breaker. The maximum current for the vehicle is 70A,
set by the duty cycle of the Pilot waveform."

That's on the one that is in Merritt (not 100% if it's the same model in Hope)

I am novice when it comes to electricity calculations. I have installed 220 V 14-50 NEMA outlet on a 208 v panel, my car shows it charges at 208 v & 40 amp. giving me range of about 22 miles per hour. I drive about 120 miles per day and does not give me enough range as I can charge only every other day. My questions is if I get 220 v 100 amp. breaker, would it charge at faster rate as I do have twin chargers on board.

Not with a 14-50. To take advantage of higher amperage you would have to get the High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) from Tesla installed.
And have twin chargers, though if you have your car today, you have a Sig or Founders, all of which have twin chargers.

To the core of your problem: with 208V @ 40A, you should be getting 8.3kW/hour. If that's only 22 miles-charged/hour, it implies 378wH/mile, which is a good deal higher than 321wH/mile inherent in the 265m/85kWh EPA rating. And, there's some evidence that the "zero" mark on the Model S battery leaves the bottom 8-9kWh untapped, so the 321 is conservative.