Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare charging cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am all set to receive my Model S early 2013 (p5664, 60 kwh, blue, blk leather, pano) and have my garage all ready to go. Fortunately the outlet is a mere 5 ft from where the rear driver's side will be.

I'm wondering if I can make a short cord for daily charging and simply leave the 20ft cord in the car for on the road charging.

Does anyone know ( possibly someone lucky enough to already hane their S) if the charging cord has any additional circuitry necessary to monitor charging? Can I make my own 5 ft charging adapter?

I am all set to receive my Model S early 2013 (p5664, 60 kwh, blue, blk leather, pano) and have my garage all ready to go. Fortunately the outlet is a mere 5 ft from where the rear driver's side will be.

I'm wondering if I can make a short cord for daily charging and simply leave the 20ft cord in the car for on the road charging.

Does anyone know ( possibly someone lucky enough to already hane their S) if the charging cord has any additional circuitry necessary to monitor charging? Can I make my own 5 ft charging adapter?

If you put a hook on the wall there, the cable can loop around it and you just hang the 5ft or so you need off of it. The new UMC is very light and not a problem to unplug when you go on a longer trip. I never drive around with it unless I'm going on a long trip.

Where will you get the part that plugs in to the car (Tesla connector). You could use the J1772 adapter though, and make a short J1772 cable, those connectors are available.

Agreed, if one could only get the new Tesla connector it would be easy. For the roadster, they sell a spare UMC for $1500... with that one could simply shorten the cord or, better, directly connect to the box or panel at the desired length without the 14-50 plug and adapter. I expect a similar UMC will be available soon with the S connector. But $1500 is highway robbery.

Not sure how one could accomplish this with a J1772 adapter without the S connector. care to elaborate?

Mitch, thanks for the info on open EVSE

Agreed, if one could only get the new Tesla connector it would be easy. For the roadster, they sell a spare UMC for $1500... with that one could simply shorten the cord or, better, directly connect to the box or panel at the desired length without the 14-50 plug and adapter. I expect a similar UMC will be available soon with the S connector. But $1500 is highway robbery.

Not sure how one could accomplish this with a J1772 adapter without the S connector. care to elaborate?

Mitch, thanks for the info on open EVSE

The Model S comes with the J-1772 to Tesla Model S adapter... you can use that and leave it connected to your Home J-1772 EVSE, or perhaps Tesla will sell a spare, although I don't think it will be cheap from them (could be $300 or more). If you had a spare, you could leave one adapter connected to your home J-1772 EVSE, and keep one in the Model S for road trip use, then you wouldn't have to remove it from your home setup to keep it in the car.

what we need to know is how much is a spare J-1772 to Tesla Model S adapter?

So if I understand correctly each model S comes with two connectors that can plug into the car. The first is an EVSE with adapters on the power side of the cord for various NEMA connectors (14-50 being the default). The second has a direct J-1772 female connection to be used with various public charging. Do I understand that right? Where can I find this information documented?

Don't know why but I was thinking there was just one "S-connect" and it had a standard adapter with various NEMA & J-1772 standards available. But I haven't seen anything official published.

So if I understand correctly each model S comes with two connectors that can plug into the car. The first is an EVSE with adapters on the power side of the cord for various NEMA connectors (14-50 being the default). The second has a direct J-1772 female connection to be used with various public charging. Do I understand that right? Where can I find this information documented?

It also comes with a 110 household plug (P15 IIRC)

Model S Specs and Standard Features | Tesla Motors

• Charging
  • 10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A (Optional 20 kW capable Twin Chargers increases input compatibility to 80 A)
  • Peak charger efficiency of 92%
  • 10 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector with 110 V, 240 V, and J1772 adapters

Thanks Jerry. However, this suggests there is just one 'S-connect' plug for the model S side and three adapters on the power side. If this is true then what Mitch suggests can't be done.

For My part I'd sure like to keep the EVSE with available adapters in my Car and have a second 'S-connect; plug wired to my garage box. For the roadster a second EVSE is $1500. For the model S one could buy the high power wall charger at $1200. Since I won't have the twin charger option (not much sense for the 40kWh battery) this latter option doesn't have much value for me. At this point, a second EVSE makes the most sense to accomplish my goal. I just can't understand why it is so much on the roadster (with a probable similar cost for the model S). It seems like one could custom build an open EVSE box for a fraction of the cost. The problem being how to get just the S-connect plug. Since it's proprietary I don't expect low cost option to come up any time soon.

I find the need for a second UMC around town (for me) at almost zero. I'll never take a spontaneous 200 mile trip without going home first to pick up the UMC I keep plugged into my garage. I do however keep the J1772 adapter in my trunk for the Model S. That way if that rare circumstance did happen, I would at least be able to plug into public J1772 charge stations in various cities but not at RV parks. At long trip I go on I of course just unplug the UMC and put it in the trunk.

If that doesn't work for some people though, I think a second UMC should be cheaper than the HPWC so that would be the cheapest Tesla provided option if you need a second UMC in the trunk at all times.

As others have noted, I'd also just unplug the main UMC and put it in the trunk when I'm going to be travelling. You could buy another and some folks will. For me, I figured I might want a road trip spare cable 1/month at most x 10 years = 120 times. A UMC costs 1200, so I thought about 10 seconds on that and went:

"Yea, there's no way in hell I'm effectively spending $10 per trip for a spare cable when it'd take me 15 seconds to unplug my other one."

I suppose I'm cheap though.

However, this suggests there is just one 'S-connect' plug for the model S side and three adapters on the power side. If this is true then what Mitch suggests can't be done.

Based on that and what was in the Get Amped cars, you get one UMC and three adapters. The Model S end is part of the UMC. You will be able to purchase more adapters for different receptacles if you need them.

For My part I'd sure like to keep the EVSE with available adapters in my Car and have a second 'S-connect; plug wired to my garage box. For the roadster a second EVSE is $1500. For the model S one could buy the high power wall charger at $1200. Since I won't have the twin charger option (not much sense for the 40kWh battery) this latter option doesn't have much value for me. At this point, a second EVSE makes the most sense to accomplish my goal. I just can't understand why it is so much on the roadster (with a probable similar cost for the model S). It seems like one could custom build an open EVSE box for a fraction of the cost. The problem being how to get just the S-connect plug. Since it's proprietary I don't expect low cost option to come up any time soon.

It's been posted that the UMC for the Model S is $500. Whether that is correct or not...

I find the need for a second UMC around town (for me) at almost zero. I'll never take a spontaneous 200 mile trip without going home first to pick up the UMC I keep plugged into my garage. I do however keep the J1772 adapter in my trunk for the Model S. That way if that rare circumstance did happen, I would at least be able to plug into public J1772 charge stations in various cities but not at RV parks. At long trip I go on I of course just unplug the UMC and put it in the trunk.

Right. I was initially thinking that I'd charge with the UMC in the garage, but would want to carry a second one in the car. I'm now rethinking that.

Around here, a year ago there was no J1772 infrastructure anywhere, period. Nada. That is now changing rapidly. I can find J1772's around town. I can drive to Toronto or Montreal and find them at my destination and along the route. A year ago I had to take my Roadster's UMC along on a road trip. Now I'd be okay leaving it at home (I like having backup plans so I'll still take it).

In light of that I'll probably skip the extra UMC, and just keep the J1772 adapter in the car.

Right. I was initially thinking that I'd charge with the UMC in the garage, but would want to carry a second one in the car. I'm now rethinking that.

Around here, a year ago there was no J1772 infrastructure anywhere, period. Nada. That is now changing rapidly. I can find J1772's around town. I can drive to Toronto or Montreal and find them at my destination and along the route. A year ago I had to take my Roadster's UMC along on a road trip. Now I'd be okay leaving it at home (I like having backup plans so I'll still take it).

In light of that I'll probably skip the extra UMC, and just keep the J1772 adapter in the car.

I agree with you, having a backup on a trip is never a bad idea. I took the UMC with me on my 150 mile trip yesterday even though I knew I wouldn't need it but I was going to an area with zero J1772 chargers but plenty of RV parks in a pinch.

My logic for getting a spare UMC is more paranoid. If my UMC dies or is broken or damaged or stolen, it becomes impossible to charge the car in my garage (since I'm not getting an HPWC). At that point, I have about a month to get a new UMC, or hog a J1772 station, before my CAR dies. While I'm sure Tesla would happily express-mail a new UMC, it would be much less anxiety-inducing to just pull out the spare.

My logic for getting a spare UMC is more paranoid. If my UMC dies or is broken or damaged or stolen, it becomes impossible to charge the car in my garage (since I'm not getting an HPWC). At that point, I have about a month to get a new UMC, or hog a J1772 station, before my CAR dies. While I'm sure Tesla would happily express-mail a new UMC, it would be much less anxiety-inducing to just pull out the spare.

You would only have a month if your car was already at empty. If you charge every night like Tesla suggests and have over a 50% SOC when the UMC goes bad you have a year to get a replacement. I'm pretty sure your car would make it the time it takes Tesla to FedEx a replacement. That of course doesn't mean you shouldn't get a backup if you want it. Can always leave it in the trunk for trips as some people are planing.