Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
    ... am I the only Model S owner that has gone multiple days without driving it?
    Unbelievable, and unconscionable. <snicker>
    [/B][/URL] Sweet Silver Sixty: 60KWH, Silver ext/Black int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
    That is exactly what I have seen. There is a big drop the first day after charging, then a much slower drop on succeeding days. Am I the only Model S owner that has gone multiple days without driving it?
    I have seen 20 miles lost in 48 hours. So I thought it was linear. Although I did notice that the Miles Remaining dropped off more slowly when initially driving after two days.

IMO though, whether it is 5 miles or 10 miles per day, Tesla should do everything they can to maximize range and minimize vampire loads when the car is not moving.

Blog Entries
    And I lost 26 miles in 44 hours. That was starting from just about half full. I didn't check it periodically to see if the loss was linear; but it's clearly a lot. (Temps varied from 45 to 65 degrees while the car was sitting; more hours at the lower end).
    Last edited by ChadS; 2012-11-13 at 03:21 PM.
    Roadster #690; Model S #112; Model X Reserved Plug In America How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

This is the response from TM Ownership Experience to my inquiry regarding the idle power drain:

This will be adjustable by a setting. At the moment the processors that run the instrument cluster and touchscreen do not turn off. This allows for immediate responsiveness when you come back to the vehicle – everything is awake as soon as you open the door. The downside to this is that Model S can lose several miles per day when sitting idle. Miles lost per day is much higher when the battery is full and tapers down as the battery gets lower.

The next software update will introduce a setting that allows more control of the power management of Model S. You will be able to tell the computer to turn off all the background electronics which will get energy consumption when not in use down to near-zero.

I consider that good news. TM must be very much aware of this issue if they are already working on a firmware fix. I hope that when one chooses to turn off all the background stuff the car is still going to be drivable the moment you sit down in the driver's seat.

Not sure why the state of battery charge would influence the amount of background drainage though. Must be the battery chemistry rather than CPU load.

I guess you all could measure this loss quite easy with the use of a cheap kwh-meter when charging. As soon the battery is fully charged it should draw the necessary watts from the grid.

Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12
    Am I crazy or wouldn't it be better to...
    - Have it on quick-response mode when plugged in.
    - Have it on quick-response mode for ~30 min after driving or after being plugged in.
    - Go into some low-power, slow-response mode after that.

That way it's quick to respond when you're in and out while doing errands or jump into the car to drive after charging, but doesn't bleed the battery long-term, no-charge parking.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Great idea. That's what I want too. Quick response for a user adjustable time (30,60 or 90min).
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    It would also be a good idea to have a wakeup time (that it would learn by location). For example when you go to work you would set it for eight hours and then it would come on a couple minutes before and stay on for some selectable time. It would be by location so once you parked at work it would just automatically do that whenever you parked there.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

One more data point on this topic: Our Model S went from 263 miles to 247 in about 32 hours in Yosemite Valley with temperatures between 28 and 60. I had heard that in colder conditions, it might use less because of less need to keep the batteries cool, but these numbers suggest that is not the case. I look forward to the firmware update.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weccman View Post
    One more data point on this topic: Our Model S went from 263 miles to 247 in about 32 hours in Yosemite Valley with temperatures between 28 and 60. I had heard that in colder conditions, it might use less because of less need to keep the batteries cool, but these numbers suggest that is not the case. I look forward to the firmware update.
    It might, but colder air is denser which will tend to reduce the range.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thread Information