Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

Good point. Not actually having mine yet, I lose track of what is customizable and what isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by bosgig View Post
    Good point. Not actually having mine yet, I lose track of what is customizable and what isn't!
    Page 9 from the online Quick Guide:
    Name:  DoorsAndLocks.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  15.2 KB
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

TMS 85 owner :)
    I think shutting down after two hours is way too long. If it really boots up before I can get my seat belt on, I would want it to shut down almost immediately. I'd love to be able to adjust that timer.

Does leaving the fob within "range" affect the vamp load? Will leaving it that close have any other practical impact on the car since it will "sense" it continuously?
    For those who care about this, here's Tesla's response:

"Realistically if you leave your key fob within a sensor range of the vehicle, you will increase the standby drain because the car will not be able to enter sleep mode. Sleep mode is the newest software update on Model S. Model S will power off the display and vehicle electronics each time you exit, transitioning to a “sleep” state. When you return to Model S, you’ll note a modest increase in the time it take the touch screen and instrument panel to wake from this energy-saving state.

Model S will initiate the startup process the moment the key is recognized nearby. You can only begin driving once both displays are ready. Note that keeping the displays powered will reduce your car’s range up to 8 miles per day when the car is not plugged in, and will also reduce the life of your 12 v battery and vehicle electrical systems. If displays are set to power off, the displays will power off 2 hours after the rest of the car goes to sleep. The Displays will also power off when the battery charge is low (or after 60 hours without use), regardless of the setting."

R#129, TSLA shareholder
    Okay, this needs asking: what the heck do they mean when they say that it will reduce the life of the "vehicle's electrical systems"?!
    R129 - 85kWh White/Tan

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Okay, this needs asking: what the heck do they mean when they say that it will reduce the life of the "vehicle's electrical systems"?!
    Presumably, they mean that electronic components have a certain MTBF (mean time between failures) measured in hours at a given temperature. If you have them on 24 hours a day they won't last as many days compared to having them on only two hours a day. This is particularly true in the hotter areas because electronic components have a shorter life as their temperature rises.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    I believe they are specifically calling out the 12V battery as that is what keeps some of the computer(s) alive. By not sleeping there are more and deeper charge/discharge cycles on the 12V battery.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotSteve View Post
    I believe they are specifically calling out the 12V battery as that is what keeps some of the computer(s) alive. By not sleeping there are more and deeper charge/discharge cycles on the 12V battery.
    Sounds to me that Tesla needs to increase the frequency that the 12V battery charges off the main pack when the car is not asleep, or install a larger deep cycle battery. Too many reports of battery failures in the first couple of months the car has been out.

For those who care about this, here's Tesla's response:

"Realistically if you leave your key fob within a sensor range of the vehicle, you will increase the standby drain because the car will not be able to enter sleep mode. Sleep mode is the newest software update on Model S. Model S will power off the display and vehicle electronics each time you exit, transitioning to a “sleep” state. When you return to Model S, you’ll note a modest increase in the time it take the touch screen and instrument panel to wake from this energy-saving state.

Model S will initiate the startup process the moment the key is recognized nearby. You can only begin driving once both displays are ready. Note that keeping the displays powered will reduce your car’s range up to 8 miles per day when the car is not plugged in, and will also reduce the life of your 12 v battery and vehicle electrical systems. If displays are set to power off, the displays will power off 2 hours after the rest of the car goes to sleep. The Displays will also power off when the battery charge is low (or after 60 hours without use), regardless of the setting."
    Quote Originally Posted by ddruz View Post
    Do car owners who have received the recent software update feel that the vampire load issue has been sufficiently addressed with the sleep mode option? Thanks.
    OK, I am confused. I am on sw version 1.15.14. I assume that is the latest version.

My car still loses 10 mile range per day. I have gone through all of the "settings" screens and can't find anything for "sleep mode", so I assume it is automagic.

So is the sleep mode referenced in Tesla's response above in a future software version that is not yet released?

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis View Post
    OK, I am confused. I am on sw version 1.15.14. I assume that is the latest version.

My car still loses 10 mile range per day. I have gone through all of the "settings" screens and can't find anything for "sleep mode", so I assume it is automagic.

So is the sleep mode referenced in Tesla's response above in a future software version that is not yet released?
    There is one version newer than yours (they're calling if Version 4.0 but it's actually v1.17.50)
    Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Thread Information