Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric cars: Zip and Zap - National - NZ Herald News

This is a very good article on where New Zealand is at with regard to EV's. Includes info on breakdown of EV's currently in NZ, government incentives (or the lack thereof), overnight price incentive from a power company, even compares Nissan Leaf to V8's and V6's off the line :smile: And more......

I recommend this as a good read.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the Tesla Model S will increase that tally by at least 12 (maybe more now) in 2013

Another positive little write up on the Roadster

Let's torque electrics - Motoring - NZ Herald News

With a few extra bits of info

"New Zealand is ready for the electric car," says the director of plug-in vehicle readiness at Southern California Edison, Ed Kjaer, a Kiwi expat, and a world-leading EV expert visiting New Zealand last week for the APEV Electric Vehicle Symposia. "You already have a 240-volt supply, you have a clean grid [high renewable or clean-burning generation] and outlets everywhere."

With a 50-60km daily commute a couple of hours tops your car up to a full charge, while night-charging doesn't strain the grid. "In the US we could already fuel 75 per cent of our 180 million light-vehicle fleet off-peak without building one new power plant."

Hi Peter

Tesla fan & shareholder , not sure about ordering Model S due to use on mountain skifields roads, considering waiting on Model X
Do you have a delivery date for you Model S

Rob

Hi Robert, if you check out the Tesla in Australia thread. The lastest info is April-May next year.

As far as Model X or Model S, I suppose that depends on what features you are looking for. If you want 4wd, both vehicles will most likely have that as an option. The S does not have that yet.

There plenty of people on here that know more about the car than I do (we did go over a have a drive though :smile:). This forum is the best place to research. I would suggest waiting to see when they will have 4wd on the Model S. You never know it may be an option by the time they start RHD vehicles.

Peter

Yes I read that article. It seems Gerry is postive about Tesla and it's future. This is the first time I have seen a National party government minister push the interest and introduction of EV's in NZ> There now needs to be some form of incentive structure set up in NZ, hopefully sooner rather than later >>

Regards, Peter

Yes I read that article. It seems Gerry is postive about Tesla and it's future. This is the first time I have seen a National party government minister push the interest and introduction of EV's in NZ> There now needs to be some form of incentive structure set up in NZ, hopefully sooner rather than later >>

Regards, Peter
Time for you guys to start a letter writing campaign given that your current government is likely to be returned at the next election. Here in Oz, we are so cash strapped, that i cant see a Liberal government doing anything despite a comittment to "direct action".

Tesla Fan Webpage - New Zealand

I agree with you, we need to lobby the right people to make it work. Having said that, there certainly is some good interest in NZ from the general public for Tesla. I have in fact set up a freelance "Tesla Fan Page" using my "bluehydrogen" company domain. Am getting at least one click a day on my reservation link which goes direct to the Tesla Australia resevations page.

My Fan webpage page is at: Bluehydrogen

Cheers, Peter

Hello to all Tesla Fans and Owners in New Zealand!

I'm a kiwi living in Norway and I have owned my Model S since 7th September last year. We're planning to move back to NZ later this year and I just found out that I can't bring my LHD Model S back with me (or rather, I can't register it for use on NZ roads) - unless the NZTA deems her to have "historic value"... We did win the Electric Marathon (12 days from Saint Petersburg to Monaco) with her last year and this year she helped to set a new world record for longest continuous line of EV's driving on public roads... but I doubt if the NZTA will consider those as worthy reason.

I was planning to use her to help accelerate the shift to EV's in NZ (now seriously behind most parts of the world). Besides my broad experience of Tesla I also have a lot of experience, understanding and useful contacts from the EV lobby here in Norway...

My game plan in short:
1. Bring Model S to NZ.
2. Offer all politicians a free test-drive (my time, my cost).
3. They will want one and will change the laws to facilitate getting one.
4. I'll show them the way with examples from Norway.

Umm... so with that plan in jeopardy...
1. Do any of you know the options for getting a RHD MS to NZ?
2. What are Tesla's plans to open shop in NZ?
3. How does it work buying from Oz?

Lobbying (side-note):
In lobbying for the EV cause, please try to avoid the word "incentives" and I think we will make faster progress. Lower taxation of EV's, such as we have here in Norway, is in no way an INCENTIVE, but rather totally fair "user pays". Those who contribute to massive oil spills, environmental destruction and chocking up our atmosphere (by purchasing and burning fossil fuels) must pay for their share of the damage (via higher taxation on such resources and the machines that consume them).

There is no doubt that EV's will rule the world eventually, but we want them to rule ASAP :)

---
Model S - Standard 85 (2013) | Metallic Green | Pano Roof | Tech Package | Air Suspension | Jump Seats

My game plan in short:
1. Bring Model S to NZ.
2. Offer all politicians a free test-drive (my time, my cost).
3. They will want one and will change the laws to facilitate getting one.
Essentially my plan, also.
1. Do any of you know the options for getting a RHD MS to NZ?
2. What are Tesla's plans to open shop in NZ?
3. How does it work buying from Oz?
1. The two options are sourcing from Australia, or from Tilburg. I am doing the latter because I require the jump seats (which are illegal in Australia). Pickup is scheduled for September 8th, in three weeks. From Tilburg I will drive the car to the UK, and ship it from there. I am using the R-Rak system with autoshippers.co.uk, which is substantially cheaper and more secure than any other option I could find.
2. Deferred indefinitely. I am willing to be pleasantly surprised though.
3. From my research I determined that it was possible to avoid the luxury tax, stamp duty, and Australian GST, through the use of a carnet. This would almost certainly require Tesla Australia's cooperation. I haven't run the numbers to see how the pricing compares with a Tilburg delivery.

By the way, although my order is for a UK car, the payment is being processed as an "other EU" car so the pricing is in Euros and a bit better than the UK. Of course I won't receive the £5,000 UK incentive, but I'm not sure I would have been able to even taking delivery in the UK.

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody making the trip to Evolocity at Ruapuna Raceway, Christchurch on November 30th?
I am planning to bring both my Roadster and P85+ Model S.

Steve

@Steve,

Wow, great to here somebody else has a similar plan! I'm thinking we should team up to deliver twice the punch (or more). Although I believe converting the politicians first is the fastest way forward, I was thinking I would probably also forge a parallel path to enlighten the public... drive around the country giving free presentations to anybody interested:
- Crash course in why electric is better (performance, engineering, energy efficiency, environment, safety... etc)
- Show examples from ratings, reviews and our respective experiences with Tesla vehicles
- Expose the flaws in the dud-arguments that are slowing EV progress
- Show that 10% of new car sales in Norway are EV!
- Explain difference between "incentives" and fair tax based on "user pays" (ie - Norway)

Besides having driven ca. 25,000 km in Tesla vehicles in 19 countries (mostly before there were any superchargers in Europe), I have also been quite heavily involved in Tesla's supercharger roll-out across Europe. One of the main reasons I bought my Model S was to let people experience it and thereby help to accelerate the revolution. I gave out over 100 test-drives in the first 3 months last year and lost count after that. I'm sure you have a lot of relevant experience also... will PM you to discuss how we can plan to take this further (if you're keen).

@John,

Thanks for the head's up, will have to see if/how I can fit this into my schedule :)

Unfortunately the timing isn't great as we're planning our move back to NZ for end of November... and now I probably won't have an EV in NZ until next year either... but if EVolocity is keen then I can probably make time to come down to give an (informal or otherwise) presentation on my experiences with Tesla as outlined above (before or after the racing events of course). Do you think this could be a suitable venue for such a talk, and if so, do you know anybody involved with organizing EVolocity?

2. Deferred indefinitely. I am willing to be pleasantly surprised though.

I hope that we are pleasantly surprised. I believe there is a good market here if you look in the right place and exploited it properly.

3. From my research I determined that it was possible to avoid the luxury tax, stamp duty, and Australian GST, through the use of a carnet. This would almost certainly require Tesla Australia's cooperation. I haven't run the numbers to see how the pricing compares with a Tilburg delivery.

Having asked friends in the freight forwarding business I've been told that the ATA Carnet system would not be correct for this. It is more for touring equipment that will return to the original country of origin and involves bonds being lodge with the international organisation.

The solution is apparently to pay Tesla Australia and have them instruct the factory to ship the NZ cars straight here to New Zealand. This saves off-loading and reloading costs in Australia. Our government does not care where you pay your money to for something you import. Taxes are applied when the vehicles cross the border here. Because we don't have import duty on cars or any luxury tax then the cost will be shipping and insurance. Then GST and compliance, on arrival, that can be arranged locally.

By the way, although my order is for a UK car, the payment is being processed as an "other EU" car so the pricing is in Euros and a bit better than the UK. Of course I won't receive the £5,000 UK incentive, but I'm not sure I would have been able to even taking delivery in the UK.

It looks like the cars are around the £80,000 (Net of Taxes) in the UK. http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/tesla/model-s
Then $2200 for shipping, about $2500 for insurance, GST... etc, etc.

I am planning to bring both my Roadster and P85+ Model S.

Are you shipping or driving? If the later, are you open to the idea of hitchhikers if they are willing to contribute to the petrol costs? :)

Hi guys,
Haven't checked in for awhile. Just wondering what the word is on Australian/NZ deliveries? I got an email saying that they would not deliver to NZ until there is a service centre/store here! Anybody here know how far away that might be? I hear they will be delivering in Aus any day now? Looks like some of you are planning to buy overseas and ship here...does it work out cheaper that way or are you just trying to get your cars faster?
Hope you can fill me in! We are Aus reservation #35 but live in NZ.

Cheers,
Ted

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again,
Just wanted to say I support any efforts to persuade NZ politicians to enact some tax breaks/incentives for EV purchases here! For NZ it is a no brainer as most of our power comes from Hydro (much the same as Norway)...in the south island where I live we are 98% hydro!
I contacted the Green Party about this ages ago but it seems they were backing public transport and hydrogen as the future. Hydrogen is a joke...can't believe the head of transport for Greens doesn't know this!
Anyway GST free for 100% EV's would be nice at least!

Let me know if I can help in any way here.

Cheers,
Ted

Update...

Tesla service centre, store and deliveries to NZ are still unknowns.

I spoke to a couple of sales reps last week regarding various alternatives:
1. Purchase car in Australia and then ship it to NZ.
2. Purchase car in HK and then ship it to NZ.
3. Purchase car in EU and ship to NZ.

Tesla recommends option 1 (easiest export to NZ), followed by option 2 (more complicated export to NZ).

I was advised against option 3, as cars from EU (or North America) are manufactured to slightly different standards and so warranty and service will not be available if I ship car to NZ. New Zealand is within Tesla's business area "Asia / Pacific", so cars from any AP country will still be under warranty/service in NZ.

One problem (for some people - myself included) - cars from AUS and HK do not give the option for jump seats...

Now thinking to bring my Model S in on a temporary LHD permit (max 12 months)...

Update...

Tesla service centre, store and deliveries to NZ are still unknowns.

I spoke to a couple of sales reps last week regarding various alternatives:
1. Purchase car in Australia and then ship it to NZ.
2. Purchase car in HK and then ship it to NZ.
3. Purchase car in EU and ship to NZ.

Tesla recommends option 1 (easiest export to NZ), followed by option 2 (more complicated export to NZ).

I was advised against option 3, as cars from EU (or North America) are manufactured to slightly different standards and so warranty and service will not be available if I ship car to NZ. New Zealand is within Tesla's business area "Asia / Pacific", so cars from any AP country will still be under warranty/service in NZ.

One problem (for some people - myself included) - cars from AUS and HK do not give the option for jump seats...

Now thinking to bring my Model S in on a temporary LHD permit (max 12 months)...

This seems to be slightly at odds to what SteveW says here: Tesla in Australia? - Page 139

Also you say warranty and service, I do not believe you will get be able to get your car serviced by Tesla if it is in NZ. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Carl. Yes Peter I was told the same by Tesla Australia. From the email I received it seems they will not ship any cars to NZ until there is a service centre here (presumably in Auckland which won't do me much good anyway as I live way down in the South Island!) Are you hearing the same thing or are they going to send you your car since you have a signature reservation?

Must admit I am a bit annoyed seeing that we put down $5,000 AUD over two years ago with no mention from Tesla Australia that we would have to wait for a NZ presence. Obviously as a pretty small market I knew it would be a long time before NZ ever got a store/service centre. They also knew when I made my reservation with the Aussie store that I lived in NZ and was planning on shipping the car over from Aus, as we discussed shipping and potential taxes in detail.

I would be happy to sign something with Tesla Australia stating that I realize I will have no access to service or spare parts until a service centre is established in NZ.

I have had an EV for over 10 years with only new tires and washer fluid replaced on it! So pretty happy to take my chances on a Model S now instead of waiting another year (or more!) before they finally decide to set up shop here in NZ.

What do you think? Maybe if we team up on Tesla Australia we can get our cars sooner! Do you know anybody else with reservations here in NZ? Should try to get as many on board with this as possible. We have been waiting long enough!

How about ranger service? It might be a viable option if you all got together and wrote a combined letter to Jerome Guillen. If you all chipped in together to pay for a visit by a ranger, say on a regular basis to be negotiated, and saved up your issues, having notified them in advance so parts/ tools would be available to the ranger, that might well be a viable option, for both you and the company.