Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S burnout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great vid but one question...Was the TC set to the Off position to get this great burnout?

Yes - traction control was turned off (I happen to be the one who made the video). The car gets "off the line" with almost no wheel spin with traction control on. It does it so well, it is almost like a launch control mode that other cars have.

- - - Updated - - -

This burnout was better than the Jay Leno burnout which is why I asked my question.

I saw that video just a couple of days ago. I really liked his quote at the end: “I think it’s safe to say that the future of the burnout is safe”. :cool:

The smoke and bits of tire flying around would suggest you are rather mistaken.

Just kidding, obviously. But, in all seriousness, a long, sustained straight-line burnout on sticky tires would be more impressive than a "smokey drift" purely from perspective of raw power. With the big performance tires, it takes a LOT of power to keep them from hooking up once you get to 40-50 MPH.

Plus, with a Limited Slip Diff (does MSP have one?), you need to break traction (and prevent hookup) from BOTH rear tires.

Can a Model S do a two-wheel/straight-line burnout like the M5 video?

Just kidding, obviously. But, in all seriousness, a long, sustained straight-line burnout on sticky tires would be more impressive than a "smokey drift" purely from perspective of raw power. With the big performance tires, it takes a LOT of power to keep them from hooking up once you get to 40-50 MPH.

Plus, with a Limited Slip Diff (does MSP have one?), you need to break traction (and prevent hookup) from BOTH rear tires.

Can a Model S do a two-wheel/straight-line burnout like the M5 video?
Yup. Below is a photo from one of my surveillance cameras - caught in the act. :redface: Two long tire marks left on the parking lot would suggest that it has a limited slip differential.

modelSburnout.jpg