Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model S burnout

Model S - U.S. P - #1649 dmckinstry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raffy View Post
    No gasoline was used but I suppose that the rear tires were completely destroyed
    Obviously "Money to Burn". Talk about air pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelta1000 View Post
    Great vid but one question...Was the TC set to the Off position to get this great burnout?
    Must have been. TC wouldn't be very good if you could do this on dry pavement with TC on! (See why Tesla tells us not to turn it off?!?)
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 20" Avant Garde M310s (Matte Black), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Must have been. TC wouldn't be very good if you could do this on dry pavement with TC on! (See why Tesla tells us not to turn it off?!?)
    This burnout was better than the Jay Leno burnout which is why I asked my question.

Great vid but one question...Was the TC set to the Off position to get this great burnout?
    Yes - traction control was turned off (I happen to be the one who made the video). The car gets "off the line" with almost no wheel spin with traction control on. It does it so well, it is almost like a launch control mode that other cars have.

- - - Updated - - -

This burnout was better than the Jay Leno burnout which is why I asked my question.
    I saw that video just a couple of days ago. I really liked his quote at the end: “I think it’s safe to say that the future of the burnout is safe”.

That's not a burnout. This is a burnout:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    That's not a burnout.
    The smoke and bits of tire flying around would suggest you are rather mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    The smoke and bits of tire flying around would suggest you are rather mistaken.
    Just kidding, obviously. But, in all seriousness, a long, sustained straight-line burnout on sticky tires would be more impressive than a "smokey drift" purely from perspective of raw power. With the big performance tires, it takes a LOT of power to keep them from hooking up once you get to 40-50 MPH.

Plus, with a Limited Slip Diff (does MSP have one?), you need to break traction (and prevent hookup) from BOTH rear tires.

Can a Model S do a two-wheel/straight-line burnout like the M5 video?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    Just kidding, obviously. But, in all seriousness, a long, sustained straight-line burnout on sticky tires would be more impressive than a "smokey drift" purely from perspective of raw power. With the big performance tires, it takes a LOT of power to keep them from hooking up once you get to 40-50 MPH.

Plus, with a Limited Slip Diff (does MSP have one?), you need to break traction (and prevent hookup) from BOTH rear tires.

Can a Model S do a two-wheel/straight-line burnout like the M5 video?
    Yup. Below is a photo from one of my surveillance cameras - caught in the act. Two long tire marks left on the parking lot would suggest that it has a limited slip differential.

Tesla Model S Signature Performance delivered on 10/31/12
    Signature Red | White Leather | Carbon Fiber | Panoramic Roof | 21" Grey Wheels| Rear Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
    Yup. Below is a photo from one of my surveillance cameras - caught in the act. Two long tire marks left on the parking lot would suggest that it has a limited slip differential.

Did you change the rear tires after this?

Quote Originally Posted by raffy View Post
    Did you change the rear tires after this?
    It certainly shaves (literally ) some of the expected tread life, but not too bad. I would normally wait until I was ready to replace a set of tires before pulling stunts like this, but I was very curious to see what the car could do. I also wanted to show others that this is no typical electric car.
    Tesla Model S Signature Performance delivered on 10/31/12
    Signature Red | White Leather | Carbon Fiber | Panoramic Roof | 21" Grey Wheels| Rear Spoiler

Thread Information