Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in SF Bay Area with MSP want to do "scientific" testing versus M5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious to gather data on acceleration over various speed ranges. I have a GPS/accelerometer data logger (TraqMate) that can help put to rest some of the questions about the MSP's performance versus a comparable ICE car. Such as:

1. How much of an advantage is there in "full TQ at zero RPM"?
2. How much does shifting gears slow down an ICE car?
3. Does MSP advantage "off the line" translate into better "passing power?"
4. At what rate does each car's acceleration fall off as they approach the MSP's speed limiter?

Anyone interested?

Might be good to list off all tests that will be preformed. Doing that here and on the BMW forum BEFORE you test will gather every future complaint and after testing, silence the naysayers since all possible bases would be covered.

Might be good to list off all tests that will be preformed. Doing that here and on the BMW forum BEFORE you test will gather every future complaint and after testing, silence the naysayers since all possible bases would be covered.

Makes sense. If I have a "taker," I will work it out with that person. I don't think the protocol needs to be that complicated:

A couple of runs each of:

1. 0-100MPH
2. Rolling (maybe 20mph) to 100MPH
3. Passing power (maybe 60-130MPH-- that is max speed for MSP, right?)

These would not be head-to-head, but would be instrumented for later comparison using software tools I have. Prob also do some head-to-head for fun.

Sounds fun.

Would something like 30-80mph (on ramp) and maybe 65-90mph (highway passing speeds) be useful in addition to above tests? Are there already standardized tests for these kinds of comparisons?

I am curious to gather data on acceleration over various speed ranges. I have a GPS/accelerometer data logger (TraqMate) that can help put to rest some of the questions about the MSP's performance versus a comparable ICE car. Such as:

4. At what rate does each car's acceleration fall off as they approach the MSP's speed limiter?

Anyone interested?
That one scares the (*$%#@ out of me if there is no track involved. That'll take more than a 1/4 mile for either car.

For scientific testing it would need to be conducted in a controlled environment or be done at nearly the same time and place to ensure similar environment conditions. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you don't do it at a track or on some closed portion of a highway the results will be questioned. You could try to reduce the amount of questioning by showing a sample format of data, assumptions, considerations and details ahead of the actual results.

But even with that being said I don't see how there is going to be material data presented and conclusions derived that are dissimilar from what we've already produced from others. Maybe if you do a full track test with measurements on each corner at how the car handles the turn. But whatever track picked will be questioned so it should be something that tests speed, acceleration and maneuverability. That is what I'm hoping to see from Top Gear next year, but it would be great to see more in depth data.

As an example: Run both cars on the same track separately taking full measurements and 1st person video noting time of day and environment conditions. Do at least 5 runs each, throw out top and bottom times. Then do it again with each car in front of the other taking video from the back car pointed at the front car as well as the front car video pointed at the car behind. This will give perspective on how each car can or cannot follow into and out of each turn and on straightaways. Then mux the feeds, master the audio, post to youtube and wait for the discussion.

P.S. Don't forget about providing endless detail on the tires like useful tread depth remaining and pressures used. I could see some pedantic discussion there and wouldn't want anything to invalidate the results.

I'm with DiscoDucky the more you offer up the plan beforehand and involve both the BMW and Tesla forums before you test the more credible your results will be.

I would add doing each test and switching drivers for a 2nd round. There were some gripes about the driver on he last T VS B test that the driver was poor.

I actually have all that data on the M5 from Laguna Seca, where I ran 1:47 last Wed (versus a 1:51 best by MSP at the Refuel event, presumably with much better drivers than I am). Different day, but weather is not going to make a 4 second difference. I was proposing straight line data to take the driver out of the equation.

Does anyone know if telemetry data is available from the MSPs at the Laguna event?