Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Would You Buy A Model X over an AWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
I am going to assume by the time the Model X comes out or soon after, the Model S will have an AWD option. If AWD is not what differentiates the two models, what is it for you? Why wait?

I wish I did not have to post this second part, but based on discussions from when the Model X was announced I feel I should. I would prefer answers from people who are truly considering buying a Model X not from people buying the Model S speculating why people would buy the Model X. I know there are plenty of people not interested in the Model X. This thread is not for you.

Last edited:
Room for three large dogs, easily fits toys, more suitable for my lifestyle. (And keeping the Roadster.)

I laughed to myself when the Model X was first announced and there were a handful of people talking about it for their dogs. That is one expensive dog vehicle. But now I am considering getting two Shiloh Shepherds which are frequently over 120 IBS each! Not laughing any more and not buying a Suburban.

I laughed to myself when the Model X was first announced and there were a handful of people talking about it for their dogs. That is one expensive dog vehicle. But now I am considering getting two Shiloh Shepherds which are frequently over 120 IBS each! Not laughing any more and not buying a Suburban.

Well, it's not JUST for the dogs. :) But you have to transport them somehow, so you need a vehicle that they fit in.

Enjoy the new pups!

I like the higher ride. My father found the model S difficult to get in and out of and we have large dogs. Also I can't even get to my sister's house without AWD and snow tires during winter storms.

An AWD model S would have been a serious contender if available now vs 2014; but given the wait I take the space . 160lbs Pyrenean mastiff in the back-back, kid in back row, + stuff in frunk. We like taking trips all together. Dog is too big to put on a crate on a roof I guess :p northwest does call for AWD and we go to Canada often too.

On a funny note the tesla reps at our store recognize us as the "model x people with the humongous fluffy dog"

I'm happy to wait for a Tesla that not only can be the everyday primary routine car but can also be the everything car. Our secondary will end up being some plug in hybrid with enough EV range to make refueling an icky yearly event; if by then the EV market doesn't get enough options to get better range for cheaper. We'll see what Gen3 brings.

Last edited:
My hope is the Model X finds the that extremely rare ability to offer good clearance and cornering without resorting to air suspension. I am counting on the low COG Model S skateboard the Model X will be built on to achieve that.

Don't feel bad. I used to have a minivan that my wife called "the telescope case". (The telescope barely fit.) We all have our obsessions....

To retire the underpowered, unexciting Sienna minivan necessary when hauling the entire family. The X has performance, style, AWD for winter, and space for luggage as well as 7 passengers. It will provide some excitement on days I need to drive a family car versus the roadster.

Why choose? Just get both... like we are! ;)

I kid. Seriously though, my wife and I each need a car and I want them both to be fully electric. My current daily driver is a 3/4 ton Suburban and gets a whopping 12mpg. My wife drives an LR3 that gets about 14mpg.

I'm hoping to be part of the solution.

Why choose? Just get both... like we are! ;)

I kid. Seriously though, my wife and I each need a car and I want them both to be fully electric. My current daily driver is a 3/4 ton Suburban and gets a whopping 12mpg. My wife drives an LR3 that gets about 14mpg.

I'm hoping to be part of the solution.

I'm a Denali XL/LR3 household also! Hers is getting about 14 mpg as well. My Denali XL is getting about 16 combined. We are keeping the Denali since we have small children and take long road trips. The LR3 will be sacrificed for the Model X, and my M5 for the Model S.

I'm a Denali XL/LR3 household also! Hers is getting about 14 mpg as well. My Denali XL is getting about 16 combined. We are keeping the Denali since we have small children and take long road trips. The LR3 will be sacrificed for the Model X, and my M5 for the Model S.

Our plan right now is that the Model S will replace the Audi TT Roadster that I got when I was single and that currently sits in the garage 350 days a year, the Model X will replace the LR3 and the Suburban will stick around because we, too, have small children and take trips while towing our Airstream. (Hence the 3/4 ton) Almost all of my driving, except for trips, is on city streets which contributes to my poor milage.