Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me build a serious charging network from Los Angeles to Phoenix!

Walgreens has committed to having charging stations at all of their stores. Maybe it would pay off to have a discussion with Walgreens?
    "These go to eleven..."

It's about 225 miles from Chiriaco Summit to Scottsdale, and the Tesla Store charger, which I need to get to Tucson. That would seem to require a "Range" charge at Chiriaco. If my calculations are correct, I'd be arriving from Barstow with about 90 miles. Not sure how long a "Range" charge would take getting from 90 to 260, but pretty sure it would mean spending the night at the Motel 6 there. Would think a motel in Blythe would be better as there are over 10 motels to choose from. Can't see a way to make it in one day without a Supercharger.

I can reiterate that a Clipper Creek CS 100 with J-1772 is a very solid option. Clipper Creek has great support and they are made in the USA. Eaton is another option for an high powered J-1772 unit. The J-1772 plug allows you to "sell" the project that ANY EV can use it, but only the Tesla will fully utilize the full power. I agree that an individual business is normally an easier sell, as you normally need to convince one person. With the city you have to work with a committee which is normally much slower.

Good luck and we need more of the high powered options available. The 30 amp units that have been installed just do not cut it for a road trip.

would be a nice radtrip LA - chiriaco summit - josua tree national park - barstow - LA

I tried to interest the KOA operator in Blythe to accept a roadster HPC that I would donate, but I guess I wasn't a very good salesman. I know several roadsters have charged there, but maybe one of the model S crowd might have more success.

Roadster#433, Model S#S37 Cottonwood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared99 View Post
    I tried to interest the KOA operator in Blythe to accept a roadster HPC that I would donate, but I guess I wasn't a very good salesman. I know several roadsters have charged there, but maybe one of the model S crowd might have more success.
    With the price of an HPWC, its a no brainer. 20 kW-hr/hr at $.12/kW-h = $2.40 per hour electricity. Tell him if you will donate an HPWC, the deal is he can charge $5/hr for the space with a $10 minimum. He puts in almost no investment, and can make some additional income. $10 * 200 visits/year is an extra $1,000 profit per year for almost no investment!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
    With the price of an HPWC, its a no brainer. 20 kW-hr/hr at $.12/kW-h = $2.40 per hour electricity. Tell him if you will donate an HPWC, the deal is he can charge $5/hr for the space with a $10 minimum. He puts in almost no investment, and can make some additional income. $10 * 200 visits/year is an extra $1,000 profit per year for almost no investment!
    That's my plan for a pitch if they don't seem open to just having the charger free for all. I'd be happy to pay up to $20 for a full charge, still a lot cheaper than gas! I haven't made much headway with anyone yet, and of course the S HPC won't be available until next year anyhow, so it will be a bit of a process.

@CHADS
    Thanks for providing your recommendations and the EVSE installation info.

Does Plug-In-America have any Promotional / Marketing material available to present to a potential EV Station "client".
    The presentation material with EV sales & growth projections, installation benefit stats etc. would provide some of us novice EV owners with a more professional approach.

Perhaps the presentation material could be available for download, so it can be printed and provided during a possible meeting the potential business owner or municipal business development person and show them our EV vehicle at the same time

Blog Entries
    Zapped, that's a great idea, but we don't currently have anything like that. I will throw the idea out and see if any of our volunteers want to take the project on.

(If any of you out there want to take the project on and then allow us to post the results - that would be awesome!)
    Roadster #690; Model S #112; Model X Reserved Plug In America How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

Bump Anything new on this project?

Thread Information