Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Texas Model S Reservation Holders - PLEASE READ

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    So Texas is enforcing an anti-business, closed-shop style, anti-competitive law. Did anyone tell Gov. Perry?
    Governor Perry is too busy praying for rain and executing criminals to actually do anything productive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pete8314 View Post
    Out of interest, I'm in Texas, but am (vaguely) planning on doing a factory collection followed by a road-trip home, so would that bypass these issues? Paying 'cash' for the sales tax will not really be an option for me, without dropping some other options off the car.
    Not really. It would just postpone the payment until you register the vehicle. However, if you pay California sales tax, I think Texas will give you a credit. The problem is that CA sales tax is more than TX sales tax so you'd actually be out more.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

What's the source of the information posted here?

Does anyone know if we can purchase the vehicle, say at the factory and pay California taxes instead? (I'd certainly rather keep my tax money in state, but letting another state get it is probably the fastest way to force the laws to change.
    P3,339: 60 kWh, blue/gray/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, tech package, sound package, air suspension
    Delivered: February 8, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    ... but letting another state get it is probably the fastest way to force the laws to change.
    Spot on!
    Any other state or auto dealers want to play that game, let the state loose out altogether - CA would be happy to take your money.

Though in Oregon we don't have sales tax (make up for it in income tax), that wouldn't be an option for us. Our auto dealers have asked the AG to "look in to" how Tesla is set up. Fortunately we are a EV friendly state, so hopeful for positive outcome.

What's the source of the information posted here?
    Some posts on this forum have indicated that Texas has reciprocal sales tax arrangements with at least some states, including California.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Some posts on this forum have indicated that Texas has reciprocal sales tax arrangements with at least some states, including California.
    Understood. So we can't get out of it. But what was the source of the information that sublimaze1 provided on the first post of this thread?
    P3,339: 60 kWh, blue/gray/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, tech package, sound package, air suspension
    Delivered: February 8, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    They do. These were older posts. Texas pulled Teslas ability as they have no dealership rating. They flew under the radar til last week.

The source of my info is my final MVPA and explanation (via phone) from Tesla financial. That explanation was as to why my tax, registration, and state fee columns were blank.

Last edited by sublimaze1; 2012-11-10 at 12:27 PM.

Understood. So we can't get out of it. But what was the source of the information that sublimaze1 provided on the first post of this thread?
    That was for a car transported to Texas. I believe if you took delivery at the factory and drove the car here it would be different. Of course without a supercharger network in place, I doubt many would want to do this.

If that's all Texas has (requiring 3rd party deliverers) then they got nothin!! Actually, hasn't TM been using 3rd party deliverers quite a bit lately? So really, no biggie.

Wrt sales tax to what state vs where car is picked up, I'm guessing TM is deciding on a case-by-case ad hoc last minute basis, so best not to ask them for policy statements.
    --

I do not have words to express my feelings for you texans.

Many Germans look to America as an archetype of a free nation with a free economy based on personal freedom. A built on trust and fairness to all. Freedom to do business, to make money and to spend it the way you want.

This just doesn't make sense to us. Neither do the dealership laws in some states.

Here in Europe any European company is allowed to do business in any other of the european community countries. All foreign companies are required to collect the local VAT (value added tax) if they exceed a certain annual threshold (around 35k Euros) in sales to a foreign country. No hassle, clear rules for all to follow.
    complete Tesla family: Roadster EU VIN 968 delivered July 31, 2012
    MSP EU SP VIN 29134 delivered March 21, 2014
    MX EU X P#85

Sponsor (& Model S Owner) pete8314's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann Koeber View Post
    I do not have words to express my feelings for you texans.

Many Germans look to America as an archetype of a free nation with a free economy based on personal freedom. A built on trust and fairness to all. Freedom to do business, to make money and to spend it the way you want.

This just doesn't make sense to us. Neither do the dealership laws in some states.
    I'm not Texan, but I live here, and I've had several people around me say they're "Texan first, American second". Welcome to Texas

I am planning on a road trip from the factory, although I've not researched charging stops yet, figured there wasn't much point until nearer the time (May-ish). If Texas is choosing to be so dumb about this issue, I'm happy to give my tax dollars to another state, but I assume there's residency requirements to do that? I.e. I could fly to New Mexico and take delivery there, where car sales tax is just 3%, and drive it back to Texas. Of course, I'd have to eventually register it in Texas, so I'm not sure how that would work.
    Delivered Feb 8 2013 - VIN 4287 - 85Kwh/Dolphin Grey/Pano/Tech/Sound/Air/shelf/HPWC/Passport 9500ci/19" TSportline wheels
    Accessorize your Model S with Abstract Ocean! | Silicone FobPockets | Leather FobPockets | Neoprene FobPockets | Screen Protectors | Other Cool Stuff |

Thread Information