Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend Car of the Year 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcstp

Feb 7, 2011
Belgium

Model S one of the finalists

-------update----------

livestream of Ben Goodwin Special Event with Elon in NYC on Nov 12?

Tesla NY Event on Livestream

[video]http://new.livestream.com/accounts/1473684/events/1672623/videos/6180579[/video]

[video] Tesla Model S is Motor Trend's Car or the Year - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

-----------------------

--------update---------

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S - Motor Trend
with video

--------------------------

--------------------------

----------------
An Interview with Elon Musk - Motor Trend

related newsarticles

Motor Trend Car of the Year 2013 - Page 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Model S one of the finalists
I enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting.
Model S clearly seems well-positioned in this piece. Both from the visual shown in the frame and the lack of comments (element of surprise). I assume that, when they announce, we'll see the shot extended showing the Model S pulling away into 1st. Hard for the Malibu to do that from way in the back. I don't follow MT, nor any of the COTY stuff. I was struck by the debate room scenes; automotive writers and invited guests. Pro-drivers, former auto execs... not one woman. The one in front of the camera was shooed out when it was decision time.
For a magazine with the word "Trend" in it's title and given the fact that women make the majority of car buying decisions, seems kind of anachronistic, disconnected, like a political party I once voted with.

The 6 criteria certainly fit Tesla well:
  • Value
  • Safety
  • Efficiency
  • Advancement in Design
  • Engineering Excellence
  • Performance of Intended Function
The latter 5 fit the Model S like a glove and even the value proposition isn't bad if considered relative to it's market niche.

From the still image shown on the video, one gets the impression there were 11 finalists. The front 3 are easily identifiable by the common man (except for the Tesla). In the 2nd row, only the Porsche really captures your eye.

While the BMW in the front row has the pole position in that turn, the Model S has the most prominent position.

Not that you can really draw a conclusion from the picture, but it's interesting to see it shown as "with the leaders" rather than pullng up the rear.

Wow.. you guys scared me. When I first saw this thread I didn't realize it was a year-old thread being resurrected. I was thinking how in the world a Passat could beat out a Model-S?

This is a good point. Once MotorTrend announces the COTY for 2013, people might find this thread, read the first few posts, and be confused. Maybe we should split it into two threads: "MotorTrend 2012 COTY" and "MotorTrend 2013 COTY" to reduce confusion. What do you think mods?

Last edited:
That very outspoken guy appeared to be dissing the effort put into and the technological leap achieved with the drivetrain by Tesla - "just a motor and inverter" to paraphrase him :)

I think the structure of the S is pretty awesome. looking at the Skeleton with the floor pan(was at the factory test drive event) it is solid. The suspension set up looks pretty well done too. I think it is just a little negativity spin on Tesla to make you think it might not win?

I think the structure of the S is pretty awesome. looking at the Skeleton with the floor pan(was at the factory test drive event) it is solid. The suspension set up looks pretty well done too. I think it is just a little negativity spin on Tesla to make you think it might not win?

Yeah I think that may have gone "the body/chassis is the hardest ... don't get started on it being good" //cut// "it is beyond phenomenal low CG, nice stable ride, I just would wish for slight more steering feel".

I think that perhaps the most telling comment is the one by Chris Theodore, former Ford exec, just BEFORE they show the photo of the Model S, at 8:40. He is clearly talking about a surprising, novel entry, one he did not expect to favour. That fits Model S perfectly; could it fit ANY other entry?

That very outspoken guy appeared to be dissing the effort put into and the technological leap achieved with the drivetrain by Tesla - "just a motor and inverter" to paraphrase him :)
I think that's Jim Hall, a race car driver from the dark ages.
He has Formula 1 experience from early 60's when that sport seemed to kill a driver a month. From what I've read, he's been a racing-tech guru for 50 yrs with lots of aerodynamic advancements that have since been adopted on everything that races. I woud expect him to have lots of appreciation of Tesla's application of electric drive tech to the benefit of power, handling, style and of course aero. Curious to hear more of his comments; I tend to agree with his curt response about motors and inverters; although Tesla has done great things with theirs, the Model S emanates from a lot more inspiration than just the drive system.