Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Motor Trend Car of the Year 2013

Quote Originally Posted by NotTarts View Post
    .... With other cars they might say "Base price: $60k, Configured: $95k", whereas when listing the Model S Performance they say something like "Base price: $95k, Configured: $96k" rather than listing the true base price of $58k.....
    I don' t disagree. But probably no other car has every been offered with three different sized gas tanks. Certainly no car has had three ranges before. A new language is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    I don' t disagree. But probably no other car has every been offered with three different sized gas tanks. Certainly no car has had three ranges before. A new language is necessary.
    I don't think a "new language" is necessary here. Let's take an example.

2013 BMW 3-Series Prices, Specs & Reviews - Motor Trend Magazine

BMW 3 series.
    $36,500 - $60,800

Wouldn't they say "base price $36,500" even though there are 12 different engine flavors?
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    I don't think a "new language" is necessary here. Let's take an example.

2013 BMW 3-Series Prices, Specs & Reviews - Motor Trend Magazine

BMW 3 series.
    $36,500 - $60,800

Wouldn't they say "base price $36,500" even though there are 12 different engine flavors?
    The different battery sizes are dissimilar enough in terms of range and fuel economy to justify separation. I can agree with that, and Motor Trend's website thinks the same way, listing the Model S base price as $77k and going up to $105k with options. But something like a Performance or Signature models? They aren't different cars at all, just the same car with a more powerful powertrain or added features.

It was because they tested a Sig and in that case the base price is $95k or whatever. If/when they test a GP car they can list the base at 57,500, as-tested, whatever. One could also make the case that the Perf model is unique. When they test a BMW M5 they list the base price of an M5, not a 528i.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Model S5,651, Model X109
    While I'm sure it's uncommon, there are vehicles that come with different size gas tanks depending upon options selected. For instance, the 1/2 ton Suburban comes with a 30 gallon tank while my 3/4 ton has a 40 gallon version.

To my mind the cleanest way to discuss Model S is to say that it comes in four variations (40, 60, 85 and Performance) and to simply leave the Signature series out of it. They've been sold out for months.
    Model S Performance, VIN 02595. Blue, Tan, Matte Obeche. Best car I've ever driven.

OK, stupid question but if you win in one year are you excluded from the competition the following year?
    What's up with the 2014 COTY award?
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum.
    My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.
    VIN 2415 - Blue 85kWh Model S / pano | VIN 48714 - Red 85kWh Model S / pano / tech

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    OK, stupid question but if you win in one year are you excluded from the competition the following year?
    What's up with the 2014 COTY award?
    I believe the award is only for new or significantly changed models, not every car that is for sale.
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    I believe the award is only for new or significantly changed models, not every car that is for sale.
    Mike has the right of it. Only new/redesigned cars qualify. Tesla's next shot will be COTY 2015 with Model X. Or perhaps the oft-rumored AWD Model S.
    P85+| Arrest-me Red/ Tan Leather Seats | Carbon Fiber Trim | 21" Grey Turbine | Parking Sensors | Sub-zero | Pano | UHFSS | Twin Chargers + HPWC | Extended Nappa | Fog Lights | Spoiler | Red Calipers | Premium Lighting | Ordered + Confirmed: 2/13/2014 | VIN: 35668 (2/24/2014) | Production: April 11-17 | Delivery: May 2, 2014!

Thread Information