Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front License Plate in Virginia

Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Front License Plate in Virginia

In my opinion the Model S looks much better without a front license plate.

There is an active motion in Virginia to remove the front license plate requirement for all non-comercial vehicles. It was continued into 2013 pending investigation by the Transportation Committee into objections from law enforcement and VDOT. If you live in Virginia and want your Model S to look its best, please write your state legislators in support of the measure (especially if they are on the transportation committee). You can find out who your representatives are at the following web address:

Welcome to the Virginia General Assembly - Who's My Legislator? Service

The bill and its history can be seen at the following web address:

Bill Tracking - 2012 session > Legislation

[update] It also saves VA taxpayers $2.3 Million per year to not have to produce tags and stickers for the front of the vehicles!

Feel free to repost to other EV and/or automotive enthusist boards...
    Last edited by DaveVa; 2012-11-10 at 10:49 AM.

Banned
    I agree.

will do... Thanks!

Any advancement on this? I'm going to just use zipties for my front plate hoping this passes...

2013 P85+, X seq 2,318 andrewket's Avatar
    I wrote my legislators and asked them to support the bill.
    Model S P85+, red/black, CF trim+spoiler, pano, 21" silver, tech, sound, twin, 3rd row.
    Model X sequence P2,318 (gave up S476)

If you haven't done this yet, please do email your legislators, here's an update site as of January about the bill to remove the requirement for a front plate in Virginia:

Bill to Provide for Single License Plate Introduced in Virginia Legislature
    P85 Black/Black/Pano/Obeche Flat/Tech/Sound/Air/21" Silver/Twin/HPWC -- Delivery Window Feb 28-Mar 14
    Deposit 11/13/2012 Finalized 1/11/13 Pre-MVPA Signed 1/11/13 Delivery Info Requested 1/28/13
    DELIVERED MARCH 7, 2013

Well so much for that...

Thank you for your email to Senator Deeds in support of SB 771. The bill's patron, Senator Wagner, requested that the bill be struck, essentially removing the bill from consideration. The General Assembly adjourned on February 23 and will not convene to consider new legislation until next January. A similar bill may be reintroduced at that time, and I will be certain to pass along your views.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again,

Tracy Eppard
    Legislative Aide
    P85 Black/Black/Pano/Obeche Flat/Tech/Sound/Air/21" Silver/Twin/HPWC -- Delivery Window Feb 28-Mar 14
    Deposit 11/13/2012 Finalized 1/11/13 Pre-MVPA Signed 1/11/13 Delivery Info Requested 1/28/13
    DELIVERED MARCH 7, 2013

2013 P85+, X seq 2,318 andrewket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carrerascott View Post
    Well so much for that...
    At least you got a reply. I sent a note back in January and never heard back.
    Model S P85+, red/black, CF trim+spoiler, pano, 21" silver, tech, sound, twin, 3rd row.
    Model X sequence P2,318 (gave up S476)

I know this thread is dated, but I am new to the forum as I just confirmed my order yesterday!

I have friends who are in the business of Virginia government, politics, and lobbying. Whenever efforts have been made to remove the front plate, they are always foiled by the Virginia State Police who insist that the front plate aids law enforcement. According to one legislator, "Virginia State Police almost always gets what they ask for, and this is an easy one."

Take that for what it's worth. I am just passing along some intelligence.

Congrats on your order. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by OLL View Post
    I know this thread is dated, but I am new to the forum as I just confirmed my order yesterday!

I have friends who are in the business of Virginia government, politics, and lobbying. Whenever efforts have been made to remove the front plate, they are always foiled by the Virginia State Police who insist that the front plate aids law enforcement. According to one legislator, "Virginia State Police almost always gets what they ask for, and this is an easy one."

Take that for what it's worth. I am just passing along some intelligence.
    I probably shouldn't say this, but this week will mark the 1-yr ownership mark for me here in NoVA, and so far no front-plate, and no problem.

My understanding is that patrol officers using LADAR are trained to aim for the front plate as a nice reflective target for readings.

On my commute route home, there's a location that's a common LADAR trap, and I've driven by it a dozen times when it was operative, and each time I round the bend and pass the trooper, he deliberately turns his head and stares me down as I go by him without a plate. I'm not sure how much is not having the plate, versus how much it getting a look at t my inspection & tax tags in the windshield to see if I'm good there. So far he's not jumped in his car and come after me.

I also have parked the car in DC a few times (half a dozen at most), and not yet had an issue... I've seen reports that meter attendants are more prone to write yu up for no front plate. Perhaps folks parking in cities more than I do might have more of an issue...
    -sc

85KWh | Metallic Blue | Black Leather | Obeche Gloss | Tech | Pano | Air | 19" Rims | Parcel Shelf | Twin Juicers | HPWC | VIN: xxxx10647

Thread Information