Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to gripe to a tesla exec...any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,
just a bit frustrated and perplexed. I'm now holding a model s reservation but leaning toward getting a roadster. I'm told by tesla that if I buy a roadster from anyone else but them, no extended warranty will be available even if the roadster is still covered by the original warranty. So i'd like to pester someone high up at tesla. This is bad on so many levels for potential owners and sellers.
Who can i gripe to? (to whom can i gripe?)
thanks,
marc

Hey there,
just a bit frustrated and perplexed. I'm now holding a model s reservation but leaning toward getting a roadster. I'm told by tesla that if I buy a roadster from anyone else but them, no extended warranty will be available even if the roadster is still covered by the original warranty. So i'd like to pester someone high up at tesla. This is bad on so many levels for potential owners and sellers.
Who can i gripe to? (to whom can i gripe?)
thanks,
marc

Hey Bamashrink,

Well, as TMC is read heavily by Tesla, I'm sure you just have, but I've got a quick question. Does any other manufacturer offer this?

Peter

Hey peter,
every used car i've ever purchased that was still under the original warranty afforded me the same option to extend coverage that was offered to folks who bought the car new.
marc
Neither Audi nor Porsche offer them at all.
That said, who at Tesla gave you this information? If you didn't get an adequate explanation as to why they don't offer one, ask to speak with someone who can explain it.
While Tesla does read this board, it is not a Tesla Forum. If you want to ask something of Tesla, I would suggest you call or email someone at Tesla;-)

I recently bought a used Roadster. When I spoke with Tesla they said if I bought a Roadster under warranty the warranty would be good. The warranty for the Roadster I bought expired several months prior to purchase, but when I talked to my Tesla rep, he told me Tesla is working on extended warranties for Roadsters that I would be able to purchase for my used Roadster. He said the details were still being worked out and that he would let me know when they are finalized.

You don't need to gripe to an Exec. If fact I would recommend against it. I would talk with customer service and if nothing progresses then ask for customer service management ect... Ect...

Going to an Exec w/o following propper channels only annoys the exec. The system that is in place is there for a reason. Use the system. It will work better for you in the end.

I personally understand where they are coming form. No CPO program is available to non dealer cars. You may have purchased extended warranties, but you never purchased a CPO warranty. If no extended warranties are available you may not be able to get it done. Extended warranties and CPO programs are NOT THE SAME.

Hi Newdl,
you are certainly correct that cpo and a factory extended warranty are different, and i certainly wouldnt expect a non- dealer car to be cpo. However, from reading the threads it appears that some roadster buyers were offered an extended factory warranty and some were not. It also appears that some roadster owners have been told that an extended warranty will be available as soon as the details are finalized. All i'm lobbying for is an extended warranty for a used non-dealer roadster that is still under the original warranty. Seems like that would be the best for everyone involved, buyers, sellers, and tesla.
marc

So, a couple of things ...

• Roadster owners that currently have an extended warranty purchased it when they first purchased their new Roadster.
  • Yes, many of us have been told that an extended warranty is coming. My understanding is that it will be available to all Roadsters, since most are currently still under warranty. (Which makes sense -- If I'd purchased an extended warranty, it would be transferable upon sale of the car.) For those that are not still under warranty, those owners have been assured that they will have 30 days to decide if they want to buy, once it is offered.

I don't really think there is anything here to gripe about. The details will be out soon. I understand you'd like to know before making a purchase. It might make sense to wait a little bit longer and make sure that what is offered meets your needs.

I hope you end up with a Roadster. I've owned mine for 22 months and it is just as much fun as it was the first month.

Best.

I'm currently contemplating buying a CPO roadster, and I'm being told that if the car I want DOES have a current warranty, they would honor it through its term. Tesla also tells me they'll supply 1 year extended service for any CPO roadster.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there, I'm currently contemplating buying a CPO roadster, and I'm concerned about the service they seem to require. In reviewing the service records of the 2 I'm looking hardest at, they seem to be in the shop ALOT. Has that been your experience in your 22 mos.?
Best, Pamela

Hey there, I'm currently contemplating buying a CPO roadster, and I'm concerned about the service they seem to require. In reviewing the service records of the 2 I'm looking hardest at, they seem to be in the shop ALOT. Has that been your experience in your 22 mos.?
Best, Pamela
In 2 years mine will have been in the shop 3 times. Twice for it's annual inspection/service, and once for a TPMS (tire pressure sensor) error. That error did not affect drivability, just caused an annoying message on the screen. I have a v2.5 car. Not sure if the older ones are more/less reliable. FWIW, my car goes out of warranty in November, 2013 and I am not planning to buy an extended warranty.

I think of my 2.0 car as pretty trouble-free; but even so, it's been in the shop about 9 times in a little over 3 years. Three times for annual service, 3 times for tires, once early on for a recall to reroute a wire, once to have them look at a few niggling little issues together. Only once was it in because something didn't work - my car wouldn't charge at Chargepoint EVSEs. The issue was a problem unique to my car; I got a new PEM. But even then it charged at all outlets and other EVSEs and ran fine. And the Chargepoints weren't built until after the car was, so I don't fault Tesla for not having tested it. (I do still fault them for taking weeks to look at it, though; at the time Chargepoints were the only option in some areas I was traveling. They fixed it quickly once they looked at it.).

Overall I think my car has been quite reliable; yet it's still been in the shop 9 times. So I wouldn't be too concerned about a car simply because it's been in a lot; although it sure would be nice to know WHY it was in.

I was responding to pkoslyn, who said Tesla service records showed certain used Roadsters being "in the shop a lot". Tesla service notes when your car is in the service center no matter what it's in for and I assume (though obviously am not sure) those are the visits that pkoslyn was looking at. I was pointing out the same thing you're saying - the car going to a Tesla service center a lot does not necessarily mean anything is wrong. Tesla wrote down all of my expected maintenance and tire changes, so while somebody looking at my car's records would see that I have made a lot of visits, there has been very little wrong.