Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much extra would you pay for AWD

How Much would You Pay for AWD

• Not interested in AWD

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Less than 5k

Votes: 25 18.4%

Votes: 39 28.7%

Votes: 12 8.8%

Votes: 23 16.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AWD and nothing extra:10-15k$
AWD, extra performance, ACC and folding mirrors: 15-20k$ <-- a bit off topic, but I couldnt resist. Add ventilated seats and heated steering wheel and I might even consider 25k$.. and thats on top of a fully specced P85 to start with;)

I would guess that a vast majority of Norwegians with sigs reserved would go for AWD if it was an option for them. AWD is big on more expensive cars here mainly due to the climate.

What is the cost for this extra on an ICE? Given the set up, why would this cost more on an electric?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like AWD is at the forefront of speculation on the variation
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080336_tesla-model-s-more-new-versions-coming-says-ceo-elon-musk

I'm hoping that the 85kw to 85kw AWD delta is closer to 5k, and really hope they get the price down low enough that AWD becomes effectively standard.

But I'm expecting Model X to be early adopters, and the early adopters to be paying closer to $10k for the privilege.

Since this will be my daily driver, I really wanted AWD. Especially since the roads can get pretty bad around Cincinnati. I'm expecting delivery sometime in January/February based on current production, but would glady postpone delivery if I could add AWD. Not sure how easy it would be to retrofit it.

Since this will be my daily driver, I really wanted AWD. Especially since the roads can get pretty bad around Cincinnati.

The only thing that made me hesitant on clicking the reserve button was the lack of AWD. Like you, this will be my primary car and the winters in Ottawa can be quite vicious. I was banking on the fact that its a little heavier than most sedans, and the weight is distributed that rwd is okay. Plus a set of nice winters.

What would I pay for it? It depends on what kind of awd system they had in place. What kind of power distribution % they could could push to each tire. Also if they could alter the amount of regen pulled from each tire at a given time based on driving behaviour. Maybe 8-10k?

The only thing that made me hesitant on clicking the reserve button was the lack of AWD. Like you, this will be my primary car and the winters in Ottawa can be quite vicious. I was banking on the fact that its a little heavier than most sedans, and the weight is distributed that rwd is okay. Plus a set of nice winters.

What would I pay for it? It depends on what kind of awd system they had in place. What kind of power distribution % they could could push to each tire. Also if they could alter the amount of regen pulled from each tire at a given time based on driving behaviour. Maybe 8-10k?

Well if Elon is to be belived, it will be the best AWD system in the world. Due to electric motor immediate response, every tire will get as much power as computer deems necessary for best possible traction.

Last edited:
FWIW I've (unintentionally) driven my Roadster in an Ottawa blizzard, and despite being RWD it handled the conditions very well. The traction control really is superior. Combined with stability control on the Model S I expect it to handle winter deiving conditions quite well. This isn't your father's RWD.

I think the better question might be how long are you willing to wait for the option. Elon mentioned an eventual AWD option as early as the Model S premiere press event I attended back in March of 2009. He said it would be done with a second motor placed on the front axle (just as has been more recently shown on the Model X). So the intention for an AWD Model S has been around for a while, but not sure when they will get around to implementing it.

For me AWD is the one factor missing from making the S the "perfect" drivers car. All other minor details that are missing can be dealt with or ignored, but I am going to miss AWD when getting my S. My current car a VW Tiguan was purchased mainly based on having AWD at a "reasonable" price here in Norway..

I know for a fact that two of my colleagues have waited to reserve a car due to missing AWD! and both of them have no money-issues;)

I do believe Tesla promised to bring out Model S AWD after the Model X is released.

- - - Updated - - -

With proper winter tires, how critical is AWD? It's been many years since I've driven in snow.

With proper winter tires AWD probably doesn't matter much, especially in modern cars with ABS and stability control.

AWD will help you accelerate on a slippery surface. It will NOT help you turn or stop quickly.

The reason people like FWD cars in the snow is the engine weight is over the drive wheels. This isn't an issue for the Tesla because there's plenty of weight over the rear wheels.

AWD is in the "nice to have" category as far as winter driving is concerned. Proper snow tires (not all seasons) are more important.

With proper winter tires AWD probably doesn't matter much, especially in modern cars with ABS and stability control.

I do not agree. My forthcoming Model S will replace a FWD VW TDI. I have proper winter tires on the VW (studded) and I still have to put on chains sometimes. A RWD Model S means I will have to buy chains for it. AWD = no chains :)

Steep and curvy hills with ice underneath 8 inches of new snow is a problem for any 2WD car.

I do believe Tesla promised to bring out Model S AWD after the Model X is released.

- - - Updated - - -

AWD will help you accelerate on a slippery surface. It will NOT help you turn or stop quickly.

The reason people like FWD cars in the snow is the engine weight is over the drive wheels. This isn't an issue for the Tesla because there's plenty of weight over the rear wheels.

AWD is in the "nice to have" category as far as winter driving is concerned. Proper snow tires (not all seasons) are more important.

Pros of AWD:
- better traction hence better acceleration
- better cornering speed due to power being pushed through all wheels which increases cars stability
Cons of AWD:
- increased weight
- greater complexity
- greater turning circle

Steep and curvy hills with ice underneath 8 inches of new snow is a problem for any 2WD car.

Frequent driving in such conditions may not be what Tesla had in mind when designing the Model S, though...:smile:

I have never understood the desire for 4wd. Reduced driving experience and increased mpg to get up an occational slippery hill? I am soon a minority in Norway though, > 30% of all new cars sold last month were 4wd (3,4% of total were EVs (!!!)).