Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From all the pics I see it doesn't look like any of the windows are tinted. Is anyone planning on, or has anyone already done any aftermarket window tinting on their model S? I was thinking of doing 5% on the rear windows and back seat windows and possibly 15-25% on the front driver and passenger windows. What do you think? It helps keep the sun out, would protect kids from sunburn if I get the rear child seats, protects leather, keeps peering eyes from seeing a huge 17" touchscreen that someone might be tempted to break in and rip it out....

Because of the white/black theme going on with the car, I also planned to tint. I know PA is a little more lenient than NJ, but they still hassle folks from time to time, so I'll also likely go light.

I used to have 15% on my camaro side windows which were illegal in NJ (any tinting at all on front driver and passenger windows in NJ is illegal but back seat and rear windows are ok) and I would get stopped ALL the time. I used to keep track but I know I got pulled over at least 60 times in 5 years. I never got a ticket either lol they always just told me that it wasn't allowed at which I responded back saying that I didn't wanted people seeing the huge amps and subwoofers and stereo that i had installed. I was also 17 at the time and I figured they just wanted to give a young kid in a Camaro a hard time and check to make sure I was t drinking or anything. This is south jersey. I never got stopped in PA or MD for it and I spent a lot of times in those states too. Actually, I have gotten stopped for speeding several times in both PA and MD and neither of them ever mentioned about the tinted windows. I figured they were legal in those states or just don't care about them. Jersey cops, at least the ones in south jersey, will stop you for everything I guess because they have nothing better to do lol. I will be moving to north jersey next year so hoping they are a bit more lenient up there. I also know that the car will fail inspection, so whenever I had to get it inspected I had to go to a shop and pay to have the tint removed, and then just have them tinted again after the inspection. It's fairly cheap and not too much of a hassle.

ElSupreme, I've taken a number of cars for tinting and will do so with my S in fairly short order. He does a really good job, but he certainly won't be cheap. It is on US41 near Dobbins almost directly accross the street from Marietta Nissan dealer.

It helps keep the sun out, would protect kids from sunburn if I get the rear child seats, protects leather, keeps peering eyes from seeing a huge 17" touchscreen that someone might be tempted to break in and rip it out....

Plenty of good reasons for wanting to tint the windows, but no need to worry about sun exposure in the third row. The rear hatch glass is laminated glass, like the front windshield, which blocks 99+% of UV.

Plenty of good reasons for wanting to tint the windows, but no need to worry about sun exposure in the third row. The rear hatch glass is laminated glass, like the front windshield, which blocks 99+% of UV.

I'm more concerned about Infrared passage into the cabin. Getting tint specifically made of IR rejection (across as wide a spectrum as possible) will keep the cabin cooler. Since the rear seat seems to have very limited HVAC vents, I want as much IR rejecting tint back there as possible.

Anyone have experience with Huper Optik tint? Apparently it's some good stuff but pretty expensive. I'm having trouble finding an installer in my area. The manufacturer says ... "Unfortunately, our auto market is under-developed in your area, therefore, we have no dealer to recommend."

I tried getting Huper Optik on a car a few years ago - it seemed to block the most heat, which was what I was interested in. I only found one local dealer, and they did everything possible to talk me out of it. They wouldn't say anything bad about it, but every time I mentioned it they tried to talk me in to something else.

I noted some installers online complaining about how hard it is to install on curved surfaces. My guess (though just a guess) is that it's just really hard to install, so car installations often end up with imperfections, unhappy owners, and free replacements. It may be better suited to house windows.

I am a novice on window tinting, never had any car tinted before. I visited my local tinted shop and he recommended the Llumar film. Any ideas or comments on this brand? My intent of tinting my Model S (upcoming) is for blocking the heat in my area during summer, not for looks or try to keep interior magical. I don't want to do the front windshield except may be the top 4-5" assuming there is no tinting on Model S (correct?), only the side windows and hatch back window. I am concern about difficult to see at night if I go to 35% (legal limit in NC). What if I do 40%, 50%, etc? Comment?