Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Model S owners - what would You do if the child seats wont make it into production?

Items for Sale
    This is not a question of if but only when. Tesla will make the child seats. A Tesla rep at the Motor Trend COTY event made that quite clear. He said that the supplier of the seats could not meet Tesla's standards and has been dropped. But a new supplier has been found.

Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    A Tesla rep at the Motor Trend COTY event made that quite clear. He said that the supplier of the seats could not meet Tesla's standards and has been dropped. But a new supplier has been found.
    Rebuilding American manufacturing capability appears to be uphill work

Thanks, I found the anchors, they were really pressed down and hard to feel for. My 5 month old granddaughter is flying in with her parents this weekend and I wanted to make sure I could pick them up in style rather than pulling out the old minivan.

P445 / VIN 1794 ClearwaterBchSteve's Avatar
    I love the storage space in the rear (and the frunk) and never wanted the jumpseats anyway so I personally would not mind if they never come to fruition. However, they are a feature which many people strongly desire and the car "seats 7" in all the marketing presentations. So, for Tesla's sake, they better deliver the seats to those who want them (and have ordered them). All of us who are taking a big risk in Tesla want and need the company to be successful on all levels.

I've got three kids, and we are always ferrying them and their school friends around. Model S will be a replacement for our 8 Seater Nissan people mover, so lack of child seats in the back will be a problem for us. Maybe not insurmountable, but a problem.

{RUMOR}I've heard rumors that the rear child seat option may not be available in Hong Kong due to homogenization issues - perhaps child restraint regulations. Just rumors, no idea of the original source, and nothing substantiated. Tesla's response to me was that it is too early to know for Hong Kong, and we'll know more next year.{/RUMOR}

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    I've heard rumors that the rear child seat option may not be available in Hong Kong due to homogenization issues...
    Is that because the kids won't drink their milk?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Is that because the kids won't drink their milk?
    Due to HxxxxxxxxxN issues. Doh, stupid word anyway. Stupid autocorrect. It is all Greek to me.
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    Due to HxxxxxxxxxN issues. Doh, stupid word anyway. Stupid autocorrect. It is all Greek to me.
    You win! It actually is...
    Homologation is a technical term, derived from the Greek homologeo (ὁμολογέω) for "to agree", which is generally used in English to signify the granting of approval by an official authority.
    At least according to Homologation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

I had a very interesting chat with George Blankenship at the Toronto store grand opening last night, and we chatted about the seats a bit. What he says, if memory serves, is that the seat design had been (or was on its way to being) approved for the standard 30 MPH rear impact requirement, but then Elon insisted that it pass the test at 50 MPH since his kids were going to ride back there. This required a re-design of both the rear end of the car and the seats themselves. George mentioned this did add a bit of weight, and that the seat support mechanism had to be beefed up or re-designed in some way. There is a committment to deliver the re-designed seats, but I don't recall if George put a timeline on that.

Bottom line is that for those of you looking for this option, it's going to be a pretty darned safe and secure spot to stow your kids!

Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12
    Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    I had a very interesting chat with George Blankenship at the Toronto store grand opening last night, and we chatted about the seats a bit. What he says, if memory serves, is that the seat design had been (or was on its way to being) approved for the standard 30 MPH rear impact requirement, but then Elon insisted that it pass the test at 50 MPH since his kids were going to ride back there. This required a re-design of both the rear end of the car and the seats themselves. George mentioned this did add a bit of weight, and that the seat support mechanism had to be beefed up or re-designed in some way. There is a committment to deliver the re-designed seats, but I don't recall if George put a timeline on that.

Bottom line is that for those of you looking for this option, it's going to be a pretty darned safe and secure spot to stow your kids!
    Me like. I can wait for that.

Thread Information