Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies if there is already a thread for this.

I have seen it mentioned that there are no grab handles for the model S, or at least not in the rear seats. I have also noted that the headrest of the front seats is integrated with the rest of the seat in a way that a typical "back of the seat headrest mount" coat hanger would not appear to be compatible with the Model S.

SO, has anyone figured out a work around for this?

I am assuming most are lying things flat in one of the trunks, but it would be nice to have a place to hang dry cleaning or a coat if one is off to someplace nice, particularly if the frunk is full and kids are in the jump seats.

I don't often wear coats that I would need to hang, but I do occasionally. I can imagine that some who wear suits daily to work could have issues with this, so I was thinking that perhaps they already found a solution.

Most of the bars that one can purchase for the rear seat depend on the handles or a pre-existing hook. If that is out and so is the headrest hanger option, what should one do... aside from avoiding wearing coats that require hanging ;)

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sounds like another business opportunity for the enterprising Model S owner, a la SOFLauthor. Anyone care to take up the challenge??

I looked at this on mine and spec ed out a 3M Commander hook with an adhesive that does not mark. I decided not to do it, but it works well on my boat walls. Might be a solution for some. They have an almond color that is close to the interior top panels.

OK,... that is an excellent idea.

You have to be kidding, right? The Model S doesn't even have grab hooks and coat hangers? You are supposed to put your coat(s)/dry cleaning stuff in the trunk/frunk?

So Tesla doesn't intend to sell the car to business people? Everyone I know uses the coat hangers for their coats on an everyday basis (I do as well). Second, every car has grab hooks and coat hangers, from subcompacts to high-end business limousines. Why doesn't the Model S?

It seems ever more so that Tesla has made too little an effort on designing a proper interior. All the resources seem to have been spent on the motor/battery/driving experience/17-inch screen, so nothing was left for
- interior storage
- usable cup holders front and rear
- lighted vanity mirrors
- door and seat pockets
- grab hooks and coathangers
- proper trunk lighting

Well, let's wait and see, perhaps they will remedy that with the Euro-Model S, like they did with the optional sports seats.

Last edited:
I couldn't believe it either. I just went and checked.

Yup, no grab handles or those little useless hooks. I miss the grab handle. And the back doors are a bit athletic to get in/out of while in a tight parking space.

However, I did notice some room above the middle bar for the pano roof. So I grabbed one of those over-the-door hooks and placed it in the pano bar and it worked. Worked really well. I can imagine the clothes swinging back and forth across the middle of the car if I take any corners at speed.

Looking around I'd place a load of dry cleaning flat in the trunk or frunk. Prolly frunk, cause can use the netting to keep stuff from sliding around. If I had a jacket, I'd place on the back of any of the seats -- the back seats would work for that.

Maybe these are some of the "variants" we'll see next year.

It's not that there aren't "workarounds" for the problem. My point is, there shouldn't have to be a workaround for something that common and widely used in the first place.

Why didn't Tesla think the interior through properly?

There is only so far the argument "less cluttered/more Bauhaus-style" interior carries. As soon as everyday usability is compromised more than necessary, the average customer will become less enthused about buying such a car (not just the Model S, but every car where you have to make such a lot of compromises).

I suspect there will be the usual flurry of "Once you drive it, you'll forget about those inconveniences" posts and first world problems references. At some point the novelty of the Model S will wear off, and everyone will be back to asking the same questions about why the Model S isn't more practical for people who actually own cars for functional purposes and not simply for the thrill of driving.

I suspect there will be the usual flurry of "Once you drive it, you'll forget about those inconveniences" posts and first world problems references. At some point the novelty of the Model S will wear off, and everyone will be back to asking the same questions about why the Model S isn't more practical for people who actually own cars for functional purposes and not simply for the thrill of driving.

Fair, but don't be so quick to dismiss the people speaking from real-world experience. I doubt it will be 'everyone' asking the same questions about practicality.

This was a noticeable omission from my back seat ride. When I noticed there were no flip down handles, I wondered where one would hang their dry cleaning. Laying it flat on the back seats or in the truck is reasonable option (and certainly what I've done in cars made before such hooks were common).

My guess is all these little interior things will just have to come in future years' models. The Model S feels very much designed from the ground up. While that was necessary and and awesome with the drivetrain, there seem to be mixed results on the interior. Lots of basic little things seem to missing, like they were overlooked or are not an afterthought. The kind of little things you don't think about until you use them. Rather than redesigning the interior from the ground up, I think they should have sat in a reasonably nice interior (say Audi level) and then thought about what things it made sense to delete.

I couldn't believe it either. I just went and checked.

Yup, no grab handles or those little useless hooks. I miss the grab handle. And the back doors are a bit athletic to get in/out of while in a tight parking space.

However, I did notice some room above the middle bar for the pano roof. So I grabbed one of those over-the-door hooks and placed it in the pano bar and it worked. Worked really well. I can imagine the clothes swinging back and forth across the middle of the car if I take any corners at speed.

Looking around I'd place a load of dry cleaning flat in the trunk or frunk. Prolly frunk, cause can use the netting to keep stuff from sliding around. If I had a jacket, I'd place on the back of any of the seats -- the back seats would work for that.

Maybe these are some of the "variants" we'll see next year.

Any link to the type of over the door hook you used? Any photos of how it worked out? I think many would appreciate it if you have any. I certainly would, as I am building up an arsenal of accessories to make my new car as useful as possible from day 1.

I agree that this is a silly omission, but I also am willing to deal with it to be an early adopter of a car from a company that I hope will be the beginning of the end for our daily dependence on / addiction to oil.

Cheers.

This tends to be a personal preference and no car is going to be everything to everyone. Personally I always lay my jacket on the back seat because hanging it on a hook tends to mis-shape the collar. Dry cleaning on hooks always bugs me when I'm not able to glance over my shoulder and get a view for parking etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a picture of this parcel shelf online anywhere?

That's an old picture. The shelf is being redesigned and cars are being delivered sans shelf right now until the new one is available.

Cars have coat hangers in them? lol

Ok, I meant the hooks on the flip-down handles that every "normal" car has. As I understand the Model S has neither the handles nor the hooks unfortunately.

And laying coats and dry-cleaning etc. in the trunk or on the back seats is only an option if these seats aren't taken and the trunk is empty.
How realistic is that on a business trip to your customers, escpecially when you drive with several colleagues? Isn't that what a 5+2 seater is all about - not driving alone in it, without any luggage?

But as Doug said, there is still hope that all these omissions will be remedied in future years' models.