Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Android Beta Version introduced!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Saw this in the letter to shareholders:

We also released driver configuration settings which store almost 20 different settings for multiple drivers, added functionality to the entertainment system and introduced a beta version of a mobile phone application.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/2085554337x0x611344/42cb80fa-6f64-4e48-93ff-2da29de21acc/Q3%202012%20Shareholder%20Letter%20Final.pdf

Did Tesla reach out to any early Sigs on here to try out the beta? Would one of you want to ping Tesla to find out more?

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/2085554337x0x611344/42cb80fa-6f64-4e48-93ff-2da29de21acc/Q3%202012%20Shareholder%20Letter%20Final.pdf

Did Tesla reach out to any early Sigs on here to try out the beta? Would one of you want to ping Tesla to find out more?

Nope. They have executives (Founders, I suppose) trying it out now. Was told this by multiple people as I went through the delivery experience. There's no exact ETA for getting out of beta, but assuming all goes well for the execs trying it out right now, it should be ready around year-end.

Often participating in a beta also means signing an NDA so they may not be allowed to respond ...

Probably true, but maybe some of them read the forums? We could offer suggestions in the hopes someone's reading it ... would have to base it off what we saw from the beta event at the factory ... but some feedback (even if the features already exist) is better than none!

I've been using it for about 2 weeks but wasn't allowed to talk about its existence. I e-mailed the beta team since Telsa themselves announced it so got the ok. I'm still not allowed to talk about what it does or post pictures but it's nice so far. Works great.

I've been using it for about 2 weeks but wasn't allowed to talk about its existence. I e-mailed the beta team since Telsa themselves announced it so got the ok. I'm still not allowed to talk about what it does or post pictures but it's nice so far. Works great.

Ditto. Quite literally, ditto. Pretty pleased with it!

(I wasn't kidding when I said the testers might be reading the forums :smile:)

Us too. Only iPhone so far, and I have an Android, so my wife has been playing with it. Mostly while we were in Maryland running away from the hurricane in a rental car, she said "The BGC is at home, happy and charged".

Aha, traitors in our midst ;)

Please stress-test the app if you can by using it when there's a lot of network traffic going on in the background (installing a bunch of app updates, downloading emails etc.) and/or when a lot of apps are suspended (in the 'tray'). Poorly-coded iPhone apps tend to crash a lot in such situations.

Aha, traitors in our midst ;)

Please stress-test the app if you can by using it when there's a lot of network traffic going on in the background (installing a bunch of app updates, downloading emails etc.) and/or when a lot of apps are suspended (in the 'tray'). Poorly-coded iPhone apps tend to crash a lot in such situations.
Or use a packet manipulation program on your connection to the internet. 5% packet loss and 500ms jitter?

Oh nevermind, you are really testing its swap to flash capabilities. In that case you want to load a cr*pload (technical term) of apps on the phone then switch between them a bunch while telling the car to do stuff. Telemetry while doing that or getting notifications from the car would be a good stress test.

Would be nice if they would design an accompanying desktop application as well (web portal?) I think a nice example of this implementation is the Sonos desktop controller and the smartphone apps (obviously this uses a proprietary mesh network, but the concept would be similar in delivery).

The problem is that there isn't one Android platform. There are many, many different incompatible Android devices, and very few have market share approaching the iPhone. Developing and testing Android apps that work on many different devices is a challenge. Last I heard you needed to test on several dozen devices to ensure widespread compatibility.

In comparison, the iPhone has a large market share and it's pretty easy to develop an app that runs on all of them.

The problem is that there isn't one Android platform. There are many, many different incompatible Android devices, and very few have market share approaching the iPhone. Developing and testing Android apps that work on many different devices is a challenge. Last I heard you needed to test on several dozen devices to ensure widespread compatibility.

Yep. I've done this (OVMS), and the Androids have been at least three-to-five times as much effort as iOS.

My company develops mobile apps in the transportation space. Doug_G is absolutely correct. The Android OS is more open and flexible to developers than iOS, however this introuduces many more compatibility and stability issues because of so many different "flavors" of system versions. Those of you familiar with Android will understand what I mean by 'flavors". I work with Android, but USE an iPhone - iOS please Tesla :)