Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What charging setup would you recommend for a business?

  1. #1

    What charging setup would you recommend for a business?

    I have a friend that is an executive at a Tribal Casino. They want to offer charging for customers and travellers and they would like to know what the best high power charging setup would be for the larger plug-in community.

    They are setting aside money in their budget for it now and looking to install in the next year. They are looking for some objective advice, guidance or a good information source.

    Thoughts?
    Signature 909

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    3,386
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by v12 to 12v View Post
    I have a friend that is an executive at a Tribal Casino. They want to offer charging for customers and travellers and they would like to know what the best high power charging setup would be for the larger plug-in community.

    They are setting aside money in their budget for it now and looking to install in the next year. They are looking for some objective advice, guidance or a good information source.

    Thoughts?
    We need more information. If free, I would recommend Clipper Creek CS-100. If they are charging for use, then I would recommend Eaton Pow-R with the 70 amp option, and a credit card reader.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

  3. #3
    Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by v12 to 12v View Post
    I have a friend that is an executive at a Tribal Casino. They want to offer charging for customers and travellers and they would like to know what the best high power charging setup would be for the larger plug-in community.

    They are setting aside money in their budget for it now and looking to install in the next year. They are looking for some objective advice, guidance or a good information source.

    Thoughts?
    I got my employer to install a Chargepoint station at our office. It will be in by end of January. We looked at a few others, but were most impressed with their experience, backing, national network and technology. For example, you can charge one rate to employees and another to the general public. And their reporting is excellent.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    3,386
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Panz View Post
    I got my employer to install a Chargepoint station at our office. It will be in by end of January. We looked at a few others, but were most impressed with their experience, backing, national network and technology. For example, you can charge one rate to employees and another to the general public. And their reporting is excellent.
    Only problem with Charegepoint is that they are only 30 amps, and that is painfully slow with the modelS. I have complained to them, but they do not seem to see any need for more!
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

  5. #5
    ERIC VFX vfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CA CA
    Posts
    14,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    We need more information. If free, I would recommend Clipper Creek CS-100. If they are charging for use, then I would recommend Eaton Pow-R with the 70 amp option, and a credit card reader.
    I would agree with this.

    We charged at the Pechanga Casino in Temecula and wanted more than low amps they offered.
    The world loves to be deceived.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    We need more information. If free, I would recommend Clipper Creek CS-100. If they are charging for use, then I would recommend Eaton Pow-R with the 70 amp option, and a credit card reader.
    It sounds like they plan on offering the power for free. I think that they wanted to do at least 50 amp.
    Signature 909

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    3,386
    Items for Sale
    Then I recommend the CS-100.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

  8. #8
    EU Model S P-37 VolkerP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,275
    I would encourage that business to look into "smart" EVSEs that can optimize power distribution. e.g. via Open Charge Point Protocol. It will be very costly to get electric service for the combined full power of a dozen CS-100.

  9. #9
    Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,486
    It might make sense to have one CS-100 that is only accessible by a valet or something with a few other 30 or 40A chargers so a Leaf or Volt doesn't use that spot when a 30A J1772 charger right next to it would work just as well in terms of max power they can accept.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

  10. #10
    Senior Member dhrivnak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Tennessee
    Posts
    1,059
    I too would encourage a J1772 Clipper Creek that can support at least 70 amps. I have a Clipper Creek personally and found their support great.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 02:21 PM
  2. The supercharger business
    By Twiddler in forum Charging Standards and Infrastructure
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2012, 08:12 AM
  3. Idea for Tesla: Intelligent Charge Setup
    By smorgasbord in forum Charging Standards and Infrastructure
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM
  4. Newly tested Tesla-recommend winter tires
    By cinergi in forum Roadster
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 07:14 PM
  5. It's Electric! - First Business
    By Seneca_Chicago in forum Video
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •