Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will introduce few "other variants of Model S" next year.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk said the following:

“There are a few other variants of the Model S that we'll come out with next year that I think are going to be pretty exciting, in addition to, of course, really getting into the Model X and starting the initial design work of the third-generation mass market vehicle.”

Wow! What variants that would be?

Obviously not right hand drive we already know about, Musk talked about it separately.

Last edited:
Maybe a "performance sport ultra deluxe"-type version.

Would a roadster battery pack fit into the boot of the Model S? With the newest cells, adding a roadster battery pack should almost double the power output and range...

(I'm not saying they should or would do so - but it would be wonderfully ridiculous. :))

Not sure if I should be happy, or annoyed that they are already hinting at new variants.

A performance-plus upgrade is one thing, but an AWD variant would be a major, purchase altering difference (for me, given where I live).

Of course none of this has happened yet, but I don't want Tesla to do what Apple just pulled off with their 'new' new iPad release within a period of 7 months.

A more serious possibility is a new battery size. Maybe 100 kWh, plus necessary upgrades to motor and electronics to take advantage of the added power. (Maybe the performance version is already able to handle the added power of a somewhat larger battery pack?)

A more serious possibility is a new battery size. Maybe 100 kWh, plus necessary upgrades to motor and electronics to take advantage of the added power. (Maybe the performance version is already able to handle the added power of a somewhat larger battery pack?)

This might get expensive for me. I'm EU P#1088 and if they announce for example an AWD version with 3400mAh cells (~93kWh) before I have to finalize, I know I cannot possibly resist ordering it ;)

The question then is how they structure the "Battery Trade-in" program...

I think instead of new models they should add the missing features to close the gap with audi and BMW. Then they could retrofit some. The car is already plenty fast for the next year and handles exceptionally well so those changes won't sell more cars.

AWD would sell more cars in Norway for sure. A hitch option for the AWD version even more cars. Many people are waiting for the X because they want those options. Better make them available now and sell more cars sooner ?

AWD would sell more cars in Norway for sure. A hitch option for the AWD version even more cars. Many people are waiting for the X because they want those options. Better make them available now and sell more cars sooner ?

AWD would also be very popular in Canada.

I'm just not sure that announcing new variants when most people have not even received their locked-in cars was a great idea...

It is certainly making me pause.

My 2 cents.

I think total sales would be higher if they came with a Model S AWD version with tow hitch. This is because some of the potential buyers who want AWD and tow hitch also want to be able to fit a roof rack/box. So, they rule out the Model S because of the lack of AWD and tow hitch, and then they rule out the Model X because of the falcon wing doors. And then they either remain on the fence, or they buy an ICE.

I would jump with joy if they presented an AWD-version:) as jkirkebo mentioned that would be a huge selling point here in Norway!

I wouldn't hold my breath on an AWD variant of the S. I've seen the way the car is assembled and there is precious little space up front for a new drivetrain (unless the frunk is sacrificed: hmmm...), and no provision that I know of to accommodate a driveshaft from the rear to the front. They'd have to redesign too much. My guess on variants would include significant firmware updates and possibly changes to the existing rear drivetrain, and to sprung weight components. Higher capacity batteries, maybe. I would hope there's a decent upgrade path for early adopters (like me!) for any or all of this, but the Roadster's model history doesn't make this seem super likely. Of course, the Model S is a different kettle of fish...

I wouldn't hold my breath on an AWD variant of the S. I've seen the way the car is assembled and there is precious little space up front for a new drivetrain, and no provision that I know of to accommodate a driveshaft from the rear to the front. They'd have to redesign too much. My guess on variants would include significant firmware updates and possibly changes to the existing rear drivetrain, and to sprung weight components. Higher capacity batteries, maybe. I would hope there's a decent upgrade path for early adopters (like me!) for any or all of this, but the Roadster's model history doesn't make this seem super likely. Of course, the Model S is a different kettle of fish...
If i remember correcly the pics/video of the Model X "skateboard" there isnt that much of a size difference from the S... Doesnt have to be the same size engine up front as in the rear either.. But time will show.

I would gladly sacrifice some or all frunk space for AWD!