Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bob Lutz on the Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on my experience that he will go out of his way to not be in the vicinity of any electric car (other than the Volt), I suspect he wouldn't be willing to go for a drive in an S. At the Seattle event in September, he made sure that there was no photo op other than in front of the Volt and the Via. I was pretty disappointed in him for a number of reasons.

Based on my experience that he will go out of his way to not be in the vicinity of any electric car (other than the Volt), I suspect he wouldn't be willing to go for a drive in an S. At the Seattle event in September, he made sure that there was no photo op other than in front of the Volt and the Via. I was pretty disappointed in him for a number of reasons.
There may be more to this than a personal decision on his part, Bonnie.

There may be more to this than a personal decision on his part, Bonnie.

I figured as much Bonnie. But they have ways of making things happen.

Sometimes there is no mystery and things are exactly as they seem. I also heard him talk about how there is no global warming. Pretty sure there were no puppet masters behind the curtain on that one.

I could go on.

There is a nice video of an interview with Bob and Elon by Charlie Rose (if my memory serves me right) where he has nothing but praise for the Model S and expresses his opinion that it will be a success. Elon responds with a surprised "really?".

So I think some of the comments here, particularly from Bonnie, are without basis or merit.

I'm speaking from my personal experience, J, what I saw and heard. I'm not just taking pot shots.

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear ...

I heard him speak about how global warming is not real, greatly upsetting an audience.
As the featured speaker, I heard him talk about how the Volt was the right solution and all-electric was not.
I heard him understate the Model S range significantly and overstate the price significantly - to the point you know it was not a mistake.
I watched him avoid even walking by the Fiskers, Leafs, Teslas.

So while you think my comments are without basis or merit, understand that my comments come from a place of disappointment. I thought he was better than that. I was excited he was there, that he was going to speak. Like you, I started from a place of assuming good intent, having seen some of his interviews, etc.

I heard him speak about how global warming is not real, greatly upsetting an audience.

Unfortunately for all of us, it is now pretty clear that he is dead wrong.

As the featured speaker, I heard him talk about how the Volt was the right solution and all-electric was not.

I can respect that opinion, in isolation of other details, because there is some case for it. I think the VIA plug-in serial hybrid trucks are the right solution for that particular market segment (fleet trucks etc.). I disagree however about personal transport - full electric is clearly the better route to go in most situations. In these situations it's hard to be sure whether the opinion reflects an honest evaluation of the facts by that individual or whether it is (deliberately or not) self-serving.

I heard him understate the Model S range significantly and overstate the price significantly - to the point you know it was not a mistake.

That pretty much clinches it. If you are confident of your opinion you don't have to exaggerate the facts to make your point. It massively undermines you.

I watched him avoid even walking by the Fiskers, Leafs, Teslas.

That's just plain petty.

It's like getting a free truck with my portable generator.

Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 9.12.51 AM.png

Like I said, the VIA trucks are pretty cool. I've had the chance to drive an Alpha and a Beta, and have had a ride in a Beta 2. I think VIA has a great future. I just don't think there's any reason to criticize anyone else's efforts (e.g. pure EVs) along the way. There's plenty of room in the market for everyone. The real "enemy" is pure ICE vehicles.