Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Lutz on the Future

Hybrid View

Has anyone given Bob a drive in the Model S?

I can't help but think he is quietly grateful he got out just in time.

Blog Entries
    Based on my experience that he will go out of his way to not be in the vicinity of any electric car (other than the Volt), I suspect he wouldn't be willing to go for a drive in an S. At the Seattle event in September, he made sure that there was no photo op other than in front of the Volt and the Via. I was pretty disappointed in him for a number of reasons.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie1194 View Post
    Based on my experience that he will go out of his way to not be in the vicinity of any electric car (other than the Volt), I suspect he wouldn't be willing to go for a drive in an S. At the Seattle event in September, he made sure that there was no photo op other than in front of the Volt and the Via. I was pretty disappointed in him for a number of reasons.
    There may be more to this than a personal decision on his part, Bonnie.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

I figured as much Bonnie. But they have ways of making things happen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    There may be more to this than a personal decision on his part, Bonnie.
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    I figured as much Bonnie. But they have ways of making things happen.
    Sometimes there is no mystery and things are exactly as they seem. I also heard him talk about how there is no global warming. Pretty sure there were no puppet masters behind the curtain on that one.

I could go on.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Reminds me of Wrightspeed...
    What Tech News and Analysis
    The race car market is only so big, however — although as Wright puts it, it’s got “great halo effects and good margins.” That’s why Wrightspeed also plans to use its hybrid drive-train system technology to eventually sell into the medium-duty truck market, and is starting out by selling a hybrid conversion kit to companies with truck fleets.
    As TruckingInfo put it, medium duty trucks — those commercial vehicles that haul anything from food to furniture — are “the workhorses of the American economy,” and use over 8 billion gallons of fuel per year. Reducing this fuel consumption by just a fraction is both a major market opportunity and can also make a significant dent in carbon emissions. Financier T. Boone Pickens is also eyeing this market by backing natural gas truck conversion kits...
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

Blog Entries
    He's not wrong. A carbon tax makes a lot of economic sense. It simply isn't possible politically.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    He's not wrong. A carbon tax makes a lot of economic sense. It simply isn't possible politically.
    Which is too bad -- since Europe's history proves it works.

For reference, about the same time the US came up with the CAFE approach (which is a supply-focused approach -- ie force the automakers to meet a fleet average fuel economy with a relatively low penalty for non compliance (currently $55 per vehicle for every 1mpg under the standard -- so can easily be priced in). Europe took a 2-prong approach that hit demand by a) charging higher taxes on the sale of cars with higher displacement engines (usually cutoff at ~2.0 liters) and b) raising taxes on fuel. They later decided to give diesel a bit of a tax break since it could lead to higher fuel economy... The result: The US still has plenty of larger cars, many with >3 liter engines; Europe sees much smaller cars on average, most below 2 liters and diesel...

Thread Information