Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about an EV plate in MA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only reason not to that I can think of is that you cannot choose a clever vanity plate. Other than that, there is no surcharge, and it makes a nice statement.

Georgia is the same way in that you can't personalize. I am starting to lean heavily towards getting the 'Alternative Fuel' plate in Georgia.

Georgia also technically requires the plate to travel solo in the HOV lanes. The HOT lane definitely requires the plate, and a bunch of other crap. The plate costs an additional $25 a year at tag time. Same as my Georgia Tech plate, same as a vanity plate.

Out of interest, has anyone got (or planning to get) a new EV plate for their Tesla? The press release makes a safety argument...
MA Unveils New Electric Vehicle License Plates

I'm working on Vermont to offer a similar plate. In addition, I'm hoping to get a front plate exclusion for "better aerodynamic efficiency on electric cars not readily designed to accommodate a front license plate." Tesla Roadster is a great example.

Went to the RMV today with all the paperwork and my checkbook. It was relatively painless; only two bits of funny dialog:

"You want regular plates?"
"No, thanks, I'd like to get the EV plates."
"Whaaat?"
"The special Electric Vehicle plates."
(to a co-worker) "Arlene, do you know anything about some 'EV' plates?"
(Arlene) "I think we've got some somewhere."
(in fact, they did; didn't even take too long to find)

earlier
"This form says the car has zero cylinders. So, how many does it have?"
"Zero. It's a pure electric vehicle."
"Hmmm."
(but the computer system didn't have any trouble when she typed in "0")

So, now I've got registration papers and plates; just need something to put between them!

Benefits of EV Plates in MA

I got EV plates and went through a similar experience. RMV didn't know they existed, had to look for them, etc. I also had fun answering the "how many cylenders" and "automatic or manual transmission" questions. I guess "neither" was not an option. :biggrin:

Now that I have them, I found one very useful application of having them: when I parked at the Charles Hotel garage in Harvard Square, I used the EV "special" parking spots and felt darn good about it! If anyone looked - my EV plates would help make it clear that my Tesla belonged there!