Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S proves a 12.6 quarter mile!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We spent the afternoon at Maple Grove Raceway with both the Roadster and Model S and it is obvious that the Roadster will be relinquishing its NEDRA record to the Model S.

The cold windy conditions today were apparently not favorable to the Roadster with it running a full half second slower than its best time last year. Even with these conditions the Model S managed a best time of 12.601 against the Roadster best of 13.255 seconds. In hot weather last fall the Roadster managed a 12.735 so I would expect the Model S would have had no problem with mid to high 12.5s on that track.

We spent the afternoon at Maple Grove Raceway with both the Roadster and Model S and it is obvious that the Roadster will be relinquishing its NEDRA record to the Model S.

The cold windy conditions today were apparently not favorable to the Roadster with it running a full half second slower than its best time last year. Even with these conditions the Model S managed a best time of 12.601 against the Roadster best of 13.255 seconds. In hot weather last fall the Roadster managed a 12.735 so I would expect the Model S would have had no problem with mid to high 12.5s on that track.

ha! I guess this is you

My buddies and I had planned on taking our cars to the track today. I, originally assuming I'd have my car in September, let alone early November, had originally planned on going and putting the Model S up against all their souped up rides. Obviously, I don't have my S and we were invited to a Baby Shower today, so I declined to go.

So, of course it made me a little sad to get these texts from the pit:

View attachment 11275

View attachment 11276

He said he thought you did 11 something, but I figured it had to be a mistype and he meant 12

The lack of ACC is still a big disappointment. I already own a plugin Prius with ACC and carpool sticker, ... I really hate where Tesla put the charge connector (on both Roadster & Model S), it doesn't work out well for me at all. Nissan really picked the best spot.

Agree on this stuff but have made peace with it.

The lack of ACC is still a big disappointment. I already own a plugin Prius with ACC and carpool sticker, so I'll just take that for my longer drives, and just use the Model S as a city car. I'm probably going to buy a 2013 Chevy Impala when they come out in March. It'll be the cheapest car on the market that has full-range ACC with stop 'n go. I really hate where Tesla put the charge connector (on both Roadster & Model S), it doesn't work out well for me at all. Nissan really picked the best spot.

After driving the Models S - I think that ACC would be easy to add given the digital nature of the current CC and the throttle based braking. I hope that Tesla will offer a retrofit to current owners - though unless they leverage the e-brake it will likely not be the full stop variety.

I really hate where Tesla put the charge connector (on both Roadster & Model S), it doesn't work out well for me at all. Nissan really picked the best spot.

I like where Tesla has put it except that it's on the wrong side of the car (I never pull into a parking space, backing in is so much safer). If I lived in the U.K. or Japan it would be on the correct side, so perhaps that was the reason they did it backwards.

best time of 12.601

This helps me prove what I thought all along:

My stock R8: 13.408
With intake and exhaust: 13.007
With VF Supercharger: 12.397

More room? Just as fast? No transmission? Yeah, won't have a problem saying bye.

I like where Tesla has put it except that it's on the wrong side of the car (I never pull into a parking space, backing in is so much safer). If I lived in the U.K. or Japan it would be on the correct side, so perhaps that was the reason they did it backwards.

I think it's wrong moreso because the driver's side is usually facing the street, so if you're doing curbside charging....

I really hate where Tesla put the charge connector (on both Roadster & Model S), it doesn't work out well for me at all. Nissan really picked the best spot.
Well, the Leaf spot would suck for me as our washer and dryer is in front of where Model S will park. It will be parked on the left so it's placement is perfect. My wife will walk right past the charge port each time she uses the car. All that to say there's no perfect place.