Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60kwh and 40kwh specs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking through the Tesla Motors website and noticed they haven't provided any info on the horsepower/torque specs for the 40kwh and 60kwh models - in fact, it says "Fall 2012" and "Winter 2012" for both. Given that we're now in November, any idea why this info hasn't been provided? Also, why would the different versions have different horsepower/torque ratings - don't they have the same electric motors/inverters?

PS - Also not sure why the 0-60 times and the max speed are limited by the battery. Thanks for the info!

Also, why would the different versions have different horsepower/torque ratings - don't they have the same electric motors/inverters?

PS - Also not sure why the 0-60 times and the max speed are limited by the battery. Thanks for the info!
Performance in terms of horsepower, torque, and top speed are probably limited by what can safely be pulled from the batteries. You can't drain them too quickly or they'll over heat and take damage. The smaller batteries have fewer cells and/or different chemistry so than the 85kwh battery, hence the different limits on how much power can safely be drawn.

Last edited:
However, some 3 years later from concept, beta testing (of some sort), and a whole lotta hype about the options... You'd think they'd know these numbers by now.

Edit: Can't imagine, they're only now figuring these packs out. Perhaps it's a phased design strategy, where they planned on testing with production chassis' and electronics, post 85 dev... Stay focused first on what gets the income and work down the chain from there.

Last edited:
In addition to the 0-60 spec for 6.5 sec, would it be safe to assume that the 40KWh battery model S has at least 150 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque? The RAV4 EV publishes slightly greater than these values and it has a 42 kWh battery.

I'm with the OP on this. One would think that at this late stage they would at least know the performance range they could publish. If not that, then at least the minimum performance. Extrapolating from the performance to the non-performance specs could make one nervous that the 40KWh battery model may have very minimal performance compared to other options out there. The data void has made it very difficult for me to finalize my MVPA (I'm #6855). On the one hand, given the similarity of components, I might expect great performance for the 40KWh battery model S. On the other hand, there are a lot of engineering decisions that could adversely impact of what is achieved, including the possibility of "clipping" the performance somewhat to encourage buyers to go to larger batteries or create a market distinction between the low and high performance options.

I'm getting pretty concerned over the lack of hard numbers from Tesla on 60kWh cars. So date there is no evidence that Tesla has created one, but they claimed to start production before the end of the year. All things being equal, I expect to get my car late January or early February, but the longer Tesla delays on producing a version to test the more concerned I get about that date.

Thoughts?

SteveH I would not be concerned if I were you. I am getting a 60 kWh version and I am not at all worried. The car will still be great. Recall that Motor Trend's 0-60 time for the performance version was 3.9 seconds, which is lower than Tesla's posted 4.4 seconds (although I believe that MT uses a rolling start--this is more like the real world but not what most use by convention in reporting 0-60 times). Tesla has been pretty accurate about it's numbers and the roadster owners with a similar battery size are not complaining. I'm P 912 and will post my experience once I get it if someone earlier on the list than me hasn't said it all already by the time I get behind the wheel.

I really don't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers.

Ah yes, delivery dates.

These seem to be quite elusive to predict or confirm.

Mine has certainly changed quite a bit from the original Mid-November estimate...

Like you, I have been told that they are putting the 60 kWh batteries into production in early Dec and that the first cars should be done by the end of December. This would put my relatively low P # early in the 60 kWh wave of deliveries and I was told to expect that to be the very end of Dec - Mid January as most realistic, with mid February being an absolute worst case scenario of everything conceivable goes wrong.

For me this was an issue because I have a car that I need to get rid of and Mid Nov was reasonable without repairs, mid January is not, and I don't want to pay for expensive maintenance or repairs on a car I am selling 1-2 months later, but I also don't want to drive a car in need of repairs. Luckily, I can borrow an In-Law's car for a month and bridge the gap for now. It is hard to plan around a delivery that keeps changing dates.

Having said that, I'm not complaining. I'm pretty psyched that 3.5 years ago I made the decision to put down a deposit on the best car in the world. Just ask Motor Trend, Automobile Mag, Yahoo Autos, Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, and Time for some confirmation on that topic. I'm sure there will be more praise to come and after you get the car all this wait will have been worth it.

I'll let the forum know when I get mine.

Cheers.