Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning off the Media/Audio??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a quick way to just turn off the audio system? Like an off button? It seems like it is always on and the only way to get it from playing is to turn the sound all the way down. But then it seems if you are listening to slacker, for example, it keeps on communicating with slacker. Or if listening to FM, it keeps telling me what's playing on the station I don't want to hear anymore. It's also a pain to turn the volume all the way down then have to turn it back to your desired listening volume. I'd rather just have an off button and then have all the displays say "Media Off".

Sorry if this is a dumb question and I've just missed something very basic!

The volume down to 0 is kind of annoying because it takes a while to get there and then you have to find your volume level again when you're ready to listen again. Would much prefer an off button or at least a mute button. Will try the single click of the left scroll wheel.

The volume down to 0 is kind of annoying because it takes a while to get there and then you have to find your volume level again when you're ready to listen again. Would much prefer an off button or at least a mute button. Will try the single click of the left scroll wheel.

Pressing the left scroll wheel turns the entertainment system on and off, regardless of what you're listening to and exactly as you're requesting. (Sorry if my earlier post read as if you should scroll it).

Pressing the left scroll wheel turns the entertainment system on and off, regardless of what you're listening to and exactly as you're requesting. (Sorry if my earlier post read as if you should scroll it).

This is how it works in all of our cars as well. PRESSING the same button you use to change volume usually mutes/pauses/whatever is appropriate.

Roadster - day one - rip off face of Radio Unit and chuck into glove box. Problem solved.

Model S - wow, no noise, static, or voices coming at you in stereo. Lasted 2000 miles. Then one morning: dead 17in screen, dead car. Remembered that reboot required holding down both thumbwheels and/or the switch above the t-wheels. Somehow managed to do a couple of speedo reboots and (I guess) a screen reboot as it finally popped on and car became normal once again.

But problem is now the radio is back ON, harassing at every opportunity. If I get lucky with one of the scroll wheels the symbol SPKR-X clogs the right side of speedo, but that *does* restore silence. Next reboot will bring it all back again. Is there a RADIO fuse that is separate from AUDIO (usb) fuse??

> What, from your perspective, is the difference? [ToddBurch]

Because the local oscillator mixes in my brain to ill effect. I_want_radio_dead!!
--

Last edited:
@wycolo - Can you elaborate on what the issue is with the Model S radio? Thanks. I tried to glean it from your post but failed.

Gleaning metaphysics?? Like trying to enjoy a football game thru a spyglass. But I digress.

Seeking the Model S equivalent to: Roadster (rip off radio faceplate). But no effect on: Model S audio(usb).

IOW, no more dj voices coming from out of nowhere all of a sudden just 'cause you started tapping (to the music in your own mind) on the steering wheel. Or npr blather or advertising sound effects or (insert your own bugaboo here). Sure, it could still bring up audio selection from usb stick, but at least that would be your own stuff that you had plugged in.

Conference @ TM: "We need to decide exactly how the operator of the Model S will initiate reboots of the speedo and also of the 17in screen. Do we place tiny recessed red buttons somewhere on the speedo panel and somewhere near the 17in screen for this specific purpose, or what?" Hand goes up: "Why not just use the buttons & thumbwheels that Mercedes ships with the steering wheel?" Another hand: "Sure, sounds good to me." Leader: "Ok, its been a long morning, time for lunch!"
--

Getting past all the metaphysics, I think the issue is this: Tune to a radio station, especially an HD one. Click the left wheel to mute. The blue X shows on the dash (if you have it showing media) but the song and artist information continue to update. So, this would indicate the radio isn't really "off", it's just muted. I think this is what the OP is pointing out.

I don't think there's really a way to turn the media center "off", but you could do any of the following things that at least wouldn't show continuous updates (you need to mute it or turn down the volume first for all of these):
* Tune to a non-HD radio station
* Tune to an HD radio station but turn off HD
* Connect a bluetooth device, select it, and don't play anything from it
* Plug in a USB drive, select a song, and then pause it
* Select something from Tune-In or Slacker and pause it
* Probably other ways too.