Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Florida owners with panoramic roof do we need the sun shade?

Model S Perf Sig 1232 Larry Chanin's Avatar

Florida owners with panoramic roof do we need the sun shade?

Now that we have several Florida Model S owners I would be very interested in your thoughts on whether the manual sun shade is needed with the panoramic roof.

In particular I am interested in learning whether passengers in the rear are likely to need the shade on ocassions.

Thanks.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Chanin; 2012-11-01 at 06:27 PM.
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Founder & President)

Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Chanin View Post
    Now that we have several Florida Model S owners I would be very interested in your thoughts on whether the manual sun shade is needed with the panoramic roof.

In particular I am interested in learning whether passengers in the rear are likely to need the shade on ocassions.

Thanks.

Larry
    We've had very sunny days the past couple of days, as you know, and I haven't missed the sunshade for 1 second, and I've driven the car midday when it would be most necessary with the sun shining right on top of me. I haven't had any rear passengers yet (other than my son Tuesday night), but it's really tinted sufficiently I think. The contrast with the non-tinted side windows and front windshield is stark. My guess is that very few people with the pano roof ends up getting the sun shade.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    It's probably similar here in terms of brightness during the day and I have no desire to install the shade now. I thought I'd want it too at first.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    We've only had our car a couple of days, but it's not the winter sun that's bothersome. Actually, I've drove around yesterday mostly with the roof open (today was a little drizzly). The big test will be next summer.

Model S - R140
    A couple of weeks ago I got to sit in the back seat for the first time, and it was noticeably warmer than the front seat with the pano roof.
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

With the full understanding that the Model S has a heat resistant coated glass roof and a sunshade to block out the sun rays... I think an effective solution would be to have the entire pano roof tinted with the highest performing and the lowest percentage tint available. I think it can be a relatively inexpensive solution for the elevated temps some of you current owners are experiencing. Let me know if I'm off base with this idea.

Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Drove today at the height of sun (12-1) and had no issues with heat or brightness. And there is not a cloud in the sky here. I think it's going to be ok.

Btw, the A/C definitely has to work, especially when it's hot out (we're in the 80s here today). Summer is going to mean greatly reduced range, I believe, to keep the cabin cool.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelta1000 View Post
    With the full understanding that the Model S has a heat resistant coated glass roof and a sunshade to block out the sun rays... I think an effective solution would be to have the entire pano roof tinted with the highest performing and the lowest percentage tint available. I think it can be a relatively inexpensive solution for the elevated temps some of you current owners are experiencing. Let me know if I'm off base with this idea.
    From the panoramic roof thread:

The issue is not visible light. If you wanted to reject more than 98% of the visible light there's really no point in having a panoramic roof.

The issue is heat rejection. According to Tesla the panoramic roof rejects 81% of the heat load. According to 3M their best film only rejects 60% of the heat load and blocks another 61% of the remaining visible light. So adding the film to the panoramic roof would reduce the total heat load to about 92% and the visible light to about 99.2%. I assume the shades would reject close to 100% of the heat load.

Using the free shade has the advantage of being adjustable. Adding an additional tint on top of the existing tint will cost quite a bit, it is not adjustable and it probably will block too much visible light, defeating the purpose of the panoramic roof.

Larry
    What specific tint did you have in mind?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Panz View Post
    Drove today at the height of sun (12-1) and had no issues with heat or brightness. And there is not a cloud in the sky here. I think it's going to be ok.
    Thanks.

It should be pointed out that George stated in a posting that seems to have been deleted, that the absence of a shade "...is more impactful in the back seats."

Btw, the A/C definitely has to work, especially when it's hot out (we're in the 80s here today). Summer is going to mean greatly reduced range, I believe, to keep the cabin cool.
    Now, if you happend to have a sun shade you would cut down the A/C load by 19% by closing the shade.

Larry

From the panoramic roof thread:

What specific tint did you have in mind?

Larry
    Larry

I was think about a 3M( Ceramic 50) or a LLumar 55% tint that would allow for light to shine through but would block 99% of the UV rays. The idea would be to reduce the heat but still keep the factory look and feel of the pano roof.

Benefits of Window Tint for Cars | Tint Industry
    PLEASE NOTE: The posts are copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

Thread Information