Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TxTag/EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Atlanta they have the same RFID tags as they have in Texas. They then implemented a license plate reader system as a backup system, and found out it was WAY more accurate, and reliable. So they now use the license plate readers as the primary toll method, and the RFIDs as a backup/check system.

My dad used the toll system for about 3 years without a EZ-Pass in his car at all.

I called TxTag. The blue on one side/grey on other square tag is only one they have. Will have to get external front license plate bar which is rather large for some reason.

Yup! Mine is not working either. I have five or six "gate" events which have not registered on my drive. I would assume (there is the painful pathlogical word) that if you register the car and the tag and the booth does not pick it up, you have done your due diligence and would not be "on-the-hook" for fines ... or am I confusing Texas with Utopia?

Yup! Mine is not working either. I have five or six "gate" events which have not registered on my drive. I would assume (there is the painful pathlogical word) that if you register the car and the tag and the booth does not pick it up, you have done your due diligence and would not be "on-the-hook" for fines ... or am I confusing Texas with Utopia?

Well I HATE the Harris County Toll Road Authority (or whatever they are called). I went down there one summer, and my uncle gave me a EzPass because I needed to drive on whatever road goes out west to Katy and Richmond, and it is Ez Pass only, no pay stations.

Anyway about 11 months after my trip I get a letter in the mail telling me I ran 3 gates, that had two late fees on it already! I went under about 20 probably with the tag on my car. Apparnetly it didn't read on 3 of them. I told them I had a EZ tag in my car, and luckilly for me 2 of the gates I hit were on the same trip and there was a gate in between I didn't trip, and my average speed was around 80mph, so I couldn't have gone around a gate. And I would be happy to pay their tolls but not any fines, and definitely no late fees.

Then I got a huge legal set of papers saying I was in violation of the EZ Pass agreement. Which I politely told them I had no such agreement.

Anyway I ended up paying about $130 to drive through 3 gates that totaled $2.20 I think. And only after they suspended my GA drivers license 3 times. The third time Georgia wouldn't reinstate it for some reason. The first two times I went to Georgia Drivers license office and told them I had no such EZ Pass agreement, and showed them my canceled check for $2.20 (that I paid right away) and they reinstated my Drivers license retroactively.

After I paid my $130 eventually GA reinstated my license retroactively again.

I have heard they are tough if there is non-payment on an account. However, I have found them to be pretty good if the screw-up is on their end. I had a funny case where I had a personalized plate that was actually printed incorrectly from the state. I had ordered a word with an O, but due to a lack of space, they printed a 0 (zero). So the state thought I had an O, but I really had a 0, and the HCTRA process at the time was if the tag didn't read, they fell back to a license plate scan. They scanned it properly (since it had a 0), it matched no valid Texas plate, and they were stuck. Eventually someone manually tried to find me, typed the word with an O accidentally, found me, and sent me a bill with multiple violations and fines. I just called them up and pointed out that I had a valid EZtag with an official TX plate, and they waved everything. Later I changed the license plate registered with them to have a 0 so that any future automated lookups automatically found my account.

Where people run into trouble is sharing tags across cars. I see people hold them up manually when they go through the readers; however, if you 'borrow' a pass from yourself and the pass doesn't match the plate it was assigned to, you are asking for trouble. Misreads are common, and they have automated ways of resolving them, but if it resolves to a plate they don't recognize, they would say you should have purchased a tag for that vehicle.

Maybe someone could try putting it behind the nosecone. Is there a way to test if your tag is working?

Petefish is correct. The Texas Toll Tag (at least the NTTA variety) work if placed just beneath the mirror - center of the windshield. To test its functionality, log in to ntta.org (create an account if you have not already) and review your activity. My tag sometimes takes 24-36 hours to post .. but it works.

Maybe someone could try putting it behind the nosecone. Is there a way to test if your tag is working?
I got a response from the TxTag folks today regarding testing the tag. If you are in Austin, you can go to their store front at 12719 Burnet Road to verify that your tag is working properly.

If we still don't know if it will work behind the nosecone by the time I get mine, I'll try it.

Last edited: